How go get knob off the shaft - a puzzle to solve.

SMB

Posted this question in the Studebaker section and had no response so I'll try here. I want to know if there is a way to remove the knob from the shaft of the light switch and from the shaft of the throttle cable. The knob on the light switch turns on the shaft but doesn't screw off. The throttle knob does not turn. There are no set screws or other visible means of attachment so I am stumped. The vehicle is a 37 Studebaker - if that is important.

We have a 1939 Dodge and my husband said that when the time comes to put the new knobs on he would have to crush the old ones to get them off and then slide the new ones on with a small dab of glue to hold them on.

Hopefully someone can come up with something better for you.

Guest Bob Call

I remember the plastic shift lever knob on 40 - 41 Chevys in our family. They would break and we would have to crack off the portion on the metal shift lever with pliers. Then the replacement knob was placed in boiling water for a minute or two until it became slightly pliable. It could then be forced on the shift lever and when it cooled it was locked on until broken off. I suspect the knobs on your Studie are made of simuliar plastic and will have to be broken to remove them.