Seat belt buckle

WestMich 89

This is a minor, but annoying problem.

The spring in the release button in the driver's side seat belt buckle seems to be weak so it takes multiple times to get the seat belt buckle to engage when I am trying to buckle it. Essentially, the release button is in a constant semi-depressed position because the spring that is supposed to push it out doesn't seem to be working.

I looked at replacing the short end of the seat belt, but see that it is bolted to the floor and would likely require removing the seat from the car in order to get at it.

Any suggestions?

You did not mention what year Reatta you are

driving. However, the short side of the seat

belt is bolted to the center "hump" and may

require a power tool to loosen it initially.

You just need to move your seat forward in

order to access the nut.

Regards

matthewlawe

89 White/Blue

Please add the year of your Reatta to your signature line. That way we are not continuously going back and scanning your posts to see what model your Reatta is. It will make it easier for us to help you in the future.

To add to your signature line click: "My Stuff -> Profile" and scroll down the page to the signature box.

Thanks!

Guest Greg Ross

Back in the years before I found this group I had the Drivers' Side Buckle fail in my '88. A Junk Yard search finally revealed a mid/ late '80s' I think it was a Olds Cutlass that used the same size harness/ buckle and same emblem. The color it turned out didn't matter since the plastic outer sleeve was transferred from the old to the new. Just had to cut some stitching in the middle of the plastic sleeve to get it apart. Seems to me I scavanged a passenger side belt from the donor car figuring it had seen at least a bit less use. Still going strong 10 years and about 250,000 miles later.

Suspect you're not far from having yours give up all together.

Greg is right on the seat belts being used in other cars and if your plastic sleeve is good you can get any color belt from a junk yard and put your sleeve onto the replacement belt. A passenger belt will not work correctly however on the drivers side as the drivers belt has a wire up to the buckle to tell the computer the drivers belt is fastened. The passenger belts do not have this wire.

Guest Greg Ross

Jim,

You'r correct about the alarm wirning, I'd forgotten about that and disabled it. I use my seatbelt all the time anyway. I'm trainable!