Scam Alert - Have you Heard From this Guy???

Guest Arick

Guest Arick

I recieved a note from this guy:

Rollins Cut <rollincecut06@yahoo.com

claiming that a check has been cut to purchase a vehicle, but it's more than the asking price. Cash it and send the rest to the shipping company. Does this sound like total BS to you??

I'd like to know if this guy is legit, and if not, to warn others that this guy is out there.

Thanks!

Major scam.

He gives you a check, you deposit it, it clears the bank, he picks up the car, check is actually a really good fraud, you're out the money and the car.

Just another variation on the Nigerian 419 scam.

If it appears to be too good to be true, it usually is.

Guest Johnpaul Ragusa

Oldest scam in the book. Very common in multiple collectible circles.

Long story short, it's a bogus check or money order and by the time you realize it you've given up your item or the "shipper" is in on the scam and they just clear that cash amount and you're on the hook.

A friend of mine got a check from a guy. He warned the bank that he thought it was a scam check. They verified that the check was good. Two weeks later, the bank actually found out that the check was bad. The bank tried to collect from my friend. Since he had proof of his "leariness" and his attempt to help out the bank by telling them in the beginning that he thought the check was bad, he did NOT have to pay money of his own out. Without the proof, he would have lost his cash.

A banker once told me that the bank can pretty much nail the depositor of a bad check *at any time* (forget about the two weeks or two months or whatever "time it takes to clear").

If, for whatever reason, your bank finds out that the check is bad, at any time in the future, they can debit your account for the amount of the bad check.

I keep this general idea in mind whenever I'm dealing with checks.

Guest Arick

Thanks everybody!! This sounded like total BS and it gets even better - he now says he's on an American carrier acting as a security guard in the gulf. He's from the gulf alright, but probably running from that carrier and not on it.

Guest simplyconnected

Cash always works. Want proof of a transaction? Crank up your camcorder and video it.

Nobody mentioned the expensive FEES involved with a bad check (guess who pays them).

Guest oldslady liz

they are out there among all the good guys.. i was recently selling my horse trailer and more or less this person said the same thing... red flags should automatically go up if it sounds too good...

Guest oldslady liz

in my case they wanted the trailer...did not care about price..because it would have been phony money order, check even the cash could be phony... but one way or the other no intention of paying just receiving..

Guest Arick

That was a great story. Thanks for the post. It makes me feel good that every once in a while they get what they deserve!!

I LOL because I did the same thing to a scammer. I didn't cost him any money, but plenty of time. It was early in the Nigerian 419 scams. This guy did some homework and actually found a person with the same last name as mine that died in a plane crash and left a huge pile of cash. He posed as the attorney for the dead relative. It was one of those things that sounded too good to be true. He quickly admitted that he knew I wasn't related, still hoping to play on my greed.

In order for me to get 25% of the $16,000,000 all I had to do was pay his government's filing fee of $5,000. I told him I was poor and didn't have that kind of money. He suggested that he wasn't going to miss out on the other 75% so he would loan me the money, plus $500 for my troubles. He sent a check for $5,500 which I immediately took to my banker. His security people looked at it and deemed that it was real. I didn't. Somehow, I knew better. I cut off all communication with the "attorney". The threatening e-mails lasted about a week before he lost interest. On to another sucker.

Some people have been able to detect some flaws in this check, but most would have thought it legit.

419.jpg

Dear Folks:

Just joined with you here on this forum and have a sick husband trying to sell a project car or two he never will get to..so it seems scammers like the last name "Cut" or "Cutt". When I put his name in Google I got a Camero webpage with this same scam..sent him the webpage, told him to get a job and a real name and stop bothering the spouses of very sick people...so hey..it looks like they are all over the place. It you haven't had your BS quota for today..here it is..Marie (talkin56)

To: Marie Prescott

Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:15 PM

Subject: PAYMENT TERMS AND SHIPPING DETAILS 1966 Mercury Parklane Convertible w/ buckets - NC

Hello marie, we have concluded, making the payment

Thanks for your email and update on the bottom price($800),it was

accepted by my clientand he has directed us to issue payment to you. I

would need your assurance that the property whose payment we would start

processing,is in a good condition as the only view our client had of the

vehicle was on the internet and this purchase is hinged on his personal

judgement of what the property's state and output would be like,in

comparison to models of its category. However,he made out a certified

cashiers check of($3,800) before he travelled for a conference,for a

previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it wasunfortunately

sold. The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than

what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total

expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle ,its pick up from its

present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping

arrangements.However he has instructed us to bikery on with this

transaction. So when payment gets to you, you're required to deduct the

cost of your vehicle ($800) and send the balance of($3,000) to my client

shipping agent to enable him offsett shipping charges/arrangements. Once

the transaction is concluded, My client shipping agent will be coming for

the pick up of the vehicle from its present location, on an access to a

prepaid shipper for shipment,and also conclude other necessary shipping

arrangements. So you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and

shipping rrangements, while title papers and other necessary documets will

be sent by you via fedex courier . Please Confirm this and provide (1)

NAME (2) CONTACT ADDRESS AND CONTACT PHONE NUMBER(s) for check payment to

be delivered to you via regular mail immediately , please remove the add

of the vehicle from the internet to avoid complications from other buyers

--- On Tue, 6/9/09, Marie Prescott <talkin56@hotmail.com> wrote: