1923 Buick Roadster Window

Mike Markin

I am restoring a 23 3 passenger roadster model 6-54. I have the window side arms to mount into their respective holes in the cowl. Apparently there must be a rubber grommet, for lack of better term, that prevents the water from leaking down the pipe and also serves a decorative purpose. Who make such an item?

Thanks

Mike Markin

Mike,

Do you mean the windshield side posts that atatch the windshield to the cowl? If so they are like a donut with a metal sleeve in the center, I need two also, I have two orig. but they are hard and split.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Mike and JB, I too have been looking for the gaskets for over two years, never have been able to find them.

So decided to try to make something that would work. This is what I came up with.

Head off to Home Depot and get a couple of large rubber washers to use as a base against the cowl. Then get a length of clear tubing the same inside diameter as the post, slip it over the post and cut off the amount needed to fill the distance between the post and the rubber washer. I needed to cut a slight angle at the bottom of the tube to conform to the cowl. I also made the tube a bit longer so it would compress and seal itself from the rain.

The result is that it works, and looks fine. No one has ever said that I have an incorrect seal. So until we find those gaskets this will do the job. Here is a picture of what it looks like.

John in VA

post-48480-14313808255_thumb.jpg

Foud this site for rubber parts, I haven't called them

yet(runningboardrubber.com).The tubing is a great idea

it might work with black hose.

John, in you post about your 23 not starting, check all the linkage, BTW the 23 has a silent generator clutch

and shoud not make a clicking sound.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

JB, thanks, it is/was the linkage. It still needs some adjustment as the starter seems to either want to stick or not go at all. Really have to jam the pedal so to speak.

The clicking sound is when I turn on the ignition, the clicking is really the rotating of the starter motor before you push in on the starter pedal.

John in VA