1929 Dodge DA Side Vents in Cowl

Here's another Early DA/Late DA changeover: It appears that my two earlier DA's (DA59129 & DA65487) have a "shock-absorber" like spring arrangement to keep the vent door open or closed, while my later one(DA105947) has a double-wire hoop-a-joop to accomplish the same task. What does yours have?

post-54582-143138081661_thumb.jpg

post-54582-14313808167_thumb.jpg

I would imagine that is like most changes...that they went to a much cheaper assembly/materials cost by changing. I am sure that it took a lot more time to manufacture and assemble the first version. Then the Great Depression came along and changed things.

Guest 1930

Mine is later with your first example, I guess that throws a wrench in things, Oh well, I guess I still cant be confused of conformity

Interesting! Like Doug says-no two Dodges alike! John, I agree, looks like the double-wire was early Detroit cost-cutting. Only thing is Jason's is a late DA with the more expensive shock thingy. (Jason likes to throw monkey wrenches in the mix). And yes, both of my early DA's are side-mounted. The later one is a Standard Sedan with artillery wheels and rear spare.

I can imagine back in the day, someone in the engineering dept holding up a simple elegant little shock absorber vent closer-opener and asking how can we cut costs by making a cheaper, even simpler design. First one to think of something gets a week off with pay!

Now for the $64 question: Any one have an extra set of the shock absorber style for sale or trade before I go to the trouble of machining a set?

I had a set that I sent ( including the doors ) to a fellow a while back, he was supposed to send me one of his parts in exchange, he never did and I lost completely on the deal, I was lied to and deceived from the very begginning, the guy was a real piece of shiz with a Z.

I think I have only been burned twice now with Dodge so I guess I should not complain.

I can prob. find a set Joe and you know what I need from you so how about it, lets make a deal!