Need source for 1988 Cadillac wire whl cover lock nut

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

A friend has a <span style="font-weight: bold">1988 Cadillac</span> Coupe Deville with wire wheel covers secured with special security nuts and the special tool to remove these nuts has been lost.

In papers that came with the car there is a registration ticket form that describes the tool as "BLUE 33134" made by IIT Thompson Industries, 611 James P. Rogers Dr, Valdosta, GA 31601 Wheel Ornamentation Div.

That company ceased business in 1998 according to info on Google search.

Anyone know if there is a present source for these "Special Tools"? It looks like about a 3/8-24 thread size but the outside is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">not a hex</span></span>, it has several grooves and rises around the OD so that any tool except the correct one cannot be attached.

The wheel covers have these nuts retained in a theft proof enclosure so a vice grip plier cannot be attached.

These covers and the car for that matter are in very good condition so we don't want to resort to destruction to get them off. We would appreciate any tips on how to proceed. Stude8

most of the tool trucks,snap on, mac,, matco ect. used to sell a kit to remove locking hub caps w/ lost tools. If memory serves you are correct about it being a 3/8 bolt. I'm sure that some local independent garage would have that tool kit

Good luck

All of the GM dealers were send a set of the special keys to be able to get the wheel covers off. You might want to check with the local dealer and see if they have them left. Secondly, you should be able to buy the correct key from the dealer. I think I remember there being about 10 different wrenches. If that fails, then there is ebay. I have seen the wrenches on there for sale.

Or, if you don't care about saving the security bolts (I've replaced mine with allen head bolts), get the appropriate size nut and arc weld it to the head of the security bolt. Weld through the center of the nut to the head of the bolt. This will allow you to get a wrench on it. I have successfully used this technique with wheel locks as well.

Guest Bob Call

Or, check with you local neighborhood gangsta kid about how get them off. I had an Olds with this type fake wire wheel covers and they were stolen twice in mid-day once at a bowling alley and once at a shopping center. So there is someway to get them off quickly and easily.

• 1 year later...
Guest hegenbergerfamily

i have an extra one it only says "E" on it. and has an off pattern. contact me if u are still looking