Pontiac and dealerships

Guest Orphanauto

Guest Orphanauto

Without trying to get political, I am just curious. I really don't know, and wondered what you guys thought. I have 2 questions on the GM/ Chrysler problems. 1. Why isn't GM trying to sell Pontiac? if they are trying to sell Hummer, and Saturn, why not Pontiac? It would be nice to see it saved. 2. Why are they closing dealerships? Do the dealerships cost them money? I thought ( maybe i'm wrong ) they are like franchises. They are privately owned, so how can the company tell them to close down? Can a delaership just say, no, and continue to sell parts, and service, then order more cars when they have orders? just curious, because I really don't know. Thought maybe someone can explain it. thanks...

Guest Orphanauto

I just saw the "Autombile Dealer Franchise" post, that does explain part of the 2nd question. I didn't see it prior to my post, what about Pontiac, any ideas?

Since it shares its platform with so many other vehicles, exactly what would they be selling? If they did sell the division with all the facilities to make Pontiacs they would be simply setting up a competitor. Also, what would they get for it, dollar wise?

They tried for a year to sell Hummer for $500,000,000. They got $100,000,000 for a stand-alone brand. What would they get for a clone of their other products.

Guest bkazmer

The Hummer sale was also clones. I believe American General still has the military H1, and the H2 and H3 are Chevy trucks. Much the same question arises for sale of Saturn - Opels, a Honda, a Pontiac. Generally there is a manufacturing agreement for a period of time. GM, realizing how much less the value is without the ability to have current cars to sell, and having extra capacity out the wazoo, and agree to supply for a while.

The Wilmington plant closing probably means the end of the Kappa convertibles (Solstice, Sky, Opel).

When Olds was discontinued, GM assumed that the potential buyers would go to Pontiac and Buick, and they would lose very little volume. We'll see where the Pontiac buyers go, buy I think a sizeable amount will not go to Chevy or Buick.

The Hummer is necessary because people buy it & people build it. I hope I'm not going to get scolded again for being political but our economy does not thrive on "The Peoples Car", practical homes, the proper ration of potatoes & rice, and your allotted time on the power grid. That kind of society has been tried before and hasn't worked out well, has it. We won't see full employment and a booming economy again until we set the AC where we want it and buy enough unnecessary wide screen TVs that it forces construction of another power plant to meet demand. Buy an RV to drive across the country just to pay $5 to see the world's largest ball of twine. Waste money at the marina on the new boat you bought. Buy the expensive wine. Buy a snow mobile. Buy the family outrageously priced tickets to the amusement park or to watch your favorite ball team loose. And yes, spend money on a ridiculous, Hummer, Corvette, or any of our other useless collector cars in our garages. Someone has to design, grow, supply, build, sell, transport, install, and service the unnecessary as well as the necessities in order to have enough jobs to go around. Yes its that simple to solve the worlds problems.

jdome,

I agree that everybody probably won't like to read that, but I see a lot of truth in it.

It has been a few years since I owned a RV. Funny thing, is that I have been thinking of buying an RV again. I plan to retire in a year or so and was thinking that now would be the time to buy and get ready to go to more car shows and quit having to worry about room reservations.

Matt, do you really need such a large motorhome for just you and your wife when you can travel the country just as well in a Smart Car. It is sad but that is the new PC attitude. I couldn't afford a RV when my kids were growing up in the 80's & 90's, before $4 gas & PC Police, but my parents had one I borrowed. It is the only way to travel with small kids. For one thing you won't find out at bedtime that you left the "blankie" 500 miles behind you in last night's motel. The closeness drove me to the brink but there are experiences you won't have scurrying from hotel to hotel, packing & unpacking, & packing again. My 2 oldest are married now and unfortunately, they will not have the opportunity to share that experience with their children.

First, I am not looking for a large motorhome. I am focusing on smaller ones.

In my case, it has to do with the fact that I have to have something big enough to tow my trailered antique car, I do still have one pre-teen child, I have a disabled wife, and we could more easily deal with her staying in our own motorhome near the showfield, keeping me from having to run back and forth between the showfield and some distant hotel whenever I don't manage to get a room at the host hotel.

I'm looking, if the right motorhome comes along at the right price, we may own a motorhome again. If not, we won't.

As far as being Politically Correct, which I really don't care about, If I get a motorhome, I can downsize the current tow vehicle, A Chevy Tahoe, that does double duty as an almost daily driver, to something more energy efficient for normal day to day around town driving.

Matthew, My 80 year old parents are in a similar situation. Bypass & back surgery for dad. After a new valve job, & a second hip replacement that didn't go as well as the first, my mom now requires a walker on good days and a wheelchair on others. Because of some other medical conditions, she also requires timely visits to a restroom, sometimes with my fathers assistance, a situation that is not public restroom convenient. They scaled down 2 years ago to a smaller unit that is easier for my dad to handle. They often use it for day trips as a port-a-potty on wheels. It has renewed their freedom, independence and dignity. Dad's hobby involves wood working & carving & they enjoy going to a number of carving shows and outdoor arts & craft fairs. They use the motor home for the same reasons you mentioned.

Can you imagine a Smart Car with a slide-out? It would tip over faster than Fred Flinstone's car at the drive-in....

By the way, some RV dealers were selling them as "Hurricane Evacuation Vehicles" in Florida last year when gas hit $4 per gallon. Laugh, but then think about being stuck on I-10 in slow moving traffic. Kids watching TV, food warming up in the microwave, a clean bathroom down the hall, A/C keeping everyone cool, and you don't have to pay $200 per night in a Motel 6, IF you can find one with any rooms left. Yep, $200 per night...

And, these days, it's not difficult to find a two or three-year-old $300,000 RV disguised with a price tag on it that says $120,000.

If you buy one, be sure to wave at Al Gore in his Gulftream jet or in his limo.