Jump to content

1957 Mercury will not turn over


Recommended Posts

I have a 1957 Mercury Monterey with a Turnpike Cruiser engine. It was running last fall but now I can not get it to start. When I push the start button I get a krkrkrkrkkr sound which seems to be coming from where the solenoid is.

So I used two screwdrivers to connect the two large terminals on the solenoid. When I do this I do not get the same sound and the fan will move an inch if I am lucky. Other than that the engine will not turn over.

The battery is only 2 or 3 years old and is not corroded at all and has good connections. It is also full of water.

It seems that when I try to start the engine it drains the battery quickly.

So what could possibly be the problem?

Thank You

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Continuing to use the starter on a frozen engine will only compound your problems. See if you can rotate the crank by hand. If it turns ok, look at your starter and associated wires for loose or corroded connections. If you can't, take your spark plugs out and spray liberal amounts of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. It breaks down carbon in your ring grooves. Let it 'soak' for a good few days or more.

Recharge your battery using a slow charge while the pistons soak.

Before you turn the key again, rotate the crank by hand. If it turns ok, use your starter again. If it doesn't, find the bind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the engine is tough to turn over, that will cause that problem. However, dont rule out that you could also have a very weak starter. Is the car a stick? If it is push in the clutch and see if that makes a difference. That would tell if you have a problem in the clutch assembly or the trans itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GOOD! Then you don't have a binding problem. Next step is starter motor and associated cables (or a bad battery). Let's cut to the chase. Put some jumper cables on and see if it cranks longer and faster. If it does, check your battery connections and test the battery with a load. It is unlikely your starter is worn out, but you can check that too. Pull the starter band off, use a mirror and a trouble light. New copper brushes are only about 1/2" long when new. Look at the armature's commutator segments. They should be shiny and flat with no burn marks. Brushes should easilly slide up and down with good spring tension.

Those starters usually last a very long time. I'm going to shoot from the hip and say either your battery is shot, or your connections are corroded. Hope this helps. - Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you did not charge the battery since last fall it probably will not hold a charge anymore due to sulfation. I have seen modern batteries that get discharged overnight due to lights being left on and the battery was shot. It would only accept a small charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...