Sign in to follow this  
imouttahere

Youtube.com video of a guy painting his 1919 DB

I give the guy credit at least for trying, he might eventually get it, just a word of caution though the first thing I noticed that he was still screwing up is by bagging the car inside with plastic. What can and chances are prob. will happen is that as he is making is strokes he will get a certain amount of overspray on the plastic sheeting, the paint will not stick to this very well because the plastic is so thin it will be constantly flexing as he continues his passes and the paint will flake off the plastic and land on his paintjob as dried paint flakes. I just recently had this problem myself painting a car 3 stage candys, I knew better but just was not thinking ( actually someone else bagged it up for me and I was not paying attention) the paint flaked off the plastic because of the air blowing over it from the gun and flawed the paint in several places. Just mentioning it in case anyone is considering doing it themselves.

1930, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me.

Actually, there are quite a few DB videos on youtube.com.

The guy who's painting his 1919 has a couple of other ones.

There is also a youtube video of a TV show about Henry Ford and John and Horace Dodge, but it shows their relationship as being very acrimonious when the DB split to make their own car. In fact, Henry, John and Horace remained reasonably cordial to each other while they were involved in their litigation in the Michigan state courts. I guess the real thing wouldn't have made very good TV.

His 1919 appears to be a 1922 by the doors, leaned back windshield and the tell tale ribs on the inner front fenders. I enjoyed his videos. He has posted several.

"His (jerolife's") 1919 appears to be a 1922 by the doors..."

But an early-series '22, not the late series '22 because it didn't have the really high cowl, did it, Dave?

And if I recall correctly, the late '22 had its windshield slanted back even more.

Also, did you notice that the rear windows in jerolife's car's top were the early "cathedral" style? That is definitely pre-1922. Maybe the car is an assemblage of parts from different years.

The only reason I know this stuff is because I have a late '22.

What is that white thing above jerolife's carburetor that looks sort of like a spin-on oil filter?

Yes you are correct, late 22, second series had the higher cowl, curved bottom windshield and I think, outside door handles, at least the 23 did. Then came the new body and chassis in 24. 20 to early 22 looked pretty much the same except as far as I know 22 and 23 were the only years with the "anti oil caning" rib on the inner front fenders. 20 was the first year of the one piece solid top doors and also the steel stamped hinges instead of the narrow cast hinges and the first leaned back windshield. Then 21 got a new side splash apron then went under the edge of the running board instead of over it. All of this is for tourings, as the roadsters continued the cast hinges and seperate door caps until the 24 body change but did get the other changes. As far as the rear windows I think you are correct there as well, however I have seen many top changes in pictures and real cars. Like modern convertibles they do wear out and get changed. I know of one car that is a 1917 that has a leaned back windshield but it was an early modifcation to, I believe, update the look to that of the newer models. It has modifed clamps as it moved back where it attaches to the top. That car also has an aftermarket carb which looks very much like the one on the utube video.