1946 Packard Super 8: Where is #1 on the distributor cap?

1946Packard2126

I am putting my engine back together after a rebuild and don't remember where #1 is on the distributor cap. I have followed the Service Manual directions for installing the oil pump so that should be okay. The Service Manual shows the rotor pointing up and to the right and the Tune-up training guide shows it pointing down.

If someone can tell me which hole in the cap is #1 I can go from there. The cap has a top clip and bottom clip -- can anyone tell me relative to the top clip which is the #1 hole?

Thanks!

No. 1 on the cap can be wherever you want it to be. If number one cylinder is at top dead center then wherever the rotor points is no 1. If you want it to be at a specific place then you have to get number one cylinder at top dead center and reinstall the dist so that the rotor points where you want it. It dosen't really matter where it is except if you want the wiring to appear as in a factory diagram or photo. The engine couldn't care less where the circle starts, it is pure esthetics.

I have driven my car since June 1959 and it wasn't until 1988 that I was able to find a factory photo that showed the "proper" position of the dist. At least it was a photo that matched the original wiring diagram that I had found in 1982. In between I had six or seven "experts" advise me of the correct position. By the way they were all wrong according to the photo and the wiring diagram.

Keep looking and you will find the correct position eventually.

Still confused ?

Try this, hand turn the engine and establish number one cylinder at top of compression stroke - either by the timing marks on the front pullies, or finger over the spark plug hole feeling the pressure as piston comes to the top.

Whilst turning the engine ( with distributor cap removed )

note the direction in which the rotor button turns.

Having established number one cylinder in the correct position, fit number one spark lead to the distributor cap in line with the rotor button, now fit the remaining leads in a 1,5,3,6,2,4 sequence based on the rotor direction of travel

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hchris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still confused ?

Try this, hand turn the engine and establish number one cylinder at top of compression stroke - either by the timing marks on the front pullies, or finger over the spark plug hole feeling the pressure as piston comes to the top.

Whilst turning the engine ( with distributor cap removed )

note the direction in which the rotor button turns.

Having established number one cylinder in the correct position, fit number one spark lead to the distributor cap in line with the rotor button, now fit the remaining leads in a 1,5,3,6,2,4 sequence based on the rotor direction of travel

Good Luck</div></div>

You missed a couple of cylinders.....

I have checked all of the photos and manuals and can't really conclude where the factory placed the number 1 spark plug wire on the 356 engine. On my 47 Super Clipper the #1 wire is located at the lower left and to the left of the metal clip as shown in one of the tune up charts I have. Firing order is 16258374 as you would likely know. Rotation is counter clockwise.