1956 Packard Clipper part leaking coolant

Guest BHR

Hello -

This is in the front seat area, right above where the passenger's feet would go. Any ideas what this might be? It was leaking coolant this weekend.

Thanks,

Ben

1956packardClipper.jpg

It looks like a heater control valve, which allows coolant into the heater core.. It's interesting that it appears to have a bimetallic coil on it. Does this car have a climate control/thermostat system?

If you look at the part there is a cable connected to it. Move your heater controls until you see the one that moves this cable. That'll likely tell you more.

Hi Dave,

I believe that I just have the Fresh Air Heater and Defroster. I don't think I have the A/C system, so the smiling faces in the lower-right hand corner illustration don't apply during the Texas summer.

Thanks for the I.D.

Ben

packardacc.jpg

In GM parlance I believe that was called a ranco valve. The cable sets the temperature and the controll itself lets the coolant in or stops it automatically to control the temperature (much the same as a thermostat in you house)

Thanks for the info, Tinindian.

Anyone think there's a chance I'll find a heater core and/or ranco valve? If so, any suggestions where?