Ignorant people

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrlforfun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I hang out with the Buick Club? That is a good question. Mitch</div></div>

Mitch, it seems you are hanging out right now and have been in the past. Maybe it is where you live, but around here beaters are welcome, as are all Buicks. On the other hand I have heard remarks about 'trailer queens' (not directed personaly at the owners). Now if you show up at a gathering with a car that you have not made the first attempt at cleaning with garbage all over the interior, don't expect a lot of raves. At our club gatherings the biggest crowd will be around the newly resurrected 'survivor' that was driven, like a 1950 with a polished chrome grill grinning out of faded paint. I am the Buick Club and you are welcome to hang out.

Willie

OK, report from last night.

1) That was REAL hockey last night in Game 4....especially the 2nd period. Hitting, breakaways, goaltenders standing on their heads, and even a shorthanded goal.....yes, real hockey!!

2) I purposely didn't speak to the president about the incident before the meeting...I wanted to see if word got to him through the grapevine. Nothing was said about treating others with respect, whether you like their car or not. Maybe something will come up at the board meeting Monday...we'll see...I'll be there too.

There was a welcome for new members as is the tradition, and somebody new was in attendance. So while it wasn't made known to the entire club at the outdoor meeting, it was known.

We were asked by several members if "that's the car there?" and "that's them?" by folks that know of the incident. Yes, Mr and Mrs were in attendance. Mrs was pleasant as usual. Mr was enjoying himself, but when he left, a car was just barely in his way to get out of his spot. Mr abruptly rammed the car in reverse, then drive and got around the car in his way. I wouldn't have been as abrupt on the throttle in such close quarters...but Mr seemed a tad upset that he couldn't get out fast enough.

So it seems Mr has a bit of a grumpy streak in him.....it's just sad that it upset S on her birthday. That just seems to be Mr's personality, and one that can ruin a day.

As folks have said, words can hurt if not well chosen. I know I'll try to ensure I don't make this mistake.

Board meeting report:

This issue was brought up at the board meeting. Dan's letter to the club was read and discussed. Apparently Mr Caddy has said the same kinds of things to some of the board members about their cars. One in particular was about a Mopar that had Cragar wheels. Mr Caddy took exception to the Cragars and indicated the car should have stock wheels. I asked privately if the wheels weren't round enough...the board member and I had a good chuckle. The board member also was put off when this happened to him. Apparently he upgraded from 14" stock wheels and hubcaps to Cragars when he lost 2 hubcaps one day, and the only replacements he could find were repro's at over $200 each. For that price for a hubcap, he just went and got 4 new wheels that eliminate the lost hubcap problem.

The discussion was good and several comments were made. One was made by the president (everyone in attendance agreed) that no matter what, it's not right to tear apart somebody's car like what happened here.

The club was founded on the principle of a love of cars and you don't even have to own a car to belong to the club. There was much discussion of how to address the issue, and it was decided that a member would write an article on car cruise / show etiquette for the newsletter. Hopefully puting it in print would make folks think twice before saying something that may be inappropriate. Also the hope is other clubs will also publish the article in their newsletters.

Several other things were mentioned, and I'll pass these along privately to Dan at our next club meeting.

*** shameless plug *** Wednesday June 10th, Bob Evans in Bridgeville PA 7:30 pm - open to anyone interested in the club. Discussion of the Carfest event at BeaveRun and the BuddBaer show in Washington PA.

*** end of shameless plug ***

Once the article is written, I'll see if I can get permission to post it here. It would be nice if this bad experience would result in some education for others.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Dan,

Thanks for the update. Im glad the board has taken the time to look into this. She is still VERY upset, and has tossed the idea out of selling the Skylark . Its her car , not mine , and she wants to do the work on it herself, Im only there for advice and tools. After this situation she feels that her car is "ratty" and she will never be able to change that. Ive tried telling her that anything is fixable and she has a very solid starting point, and with just a little effort her Skylark could be beautiful. The problem is that she is in Florida visiting with family, and since im still up here , I cant spend the time needed to straighten her out.

Dan do me a favor and thank John F for me concerning the E mail he sent.

Dan

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Bob what do you want me to say ?!?! How many times do I have to tell you ........Im not the one with the problem. Unfortunately my wife is currently 1500 miles away, staying with her parents for the next 2 weeks , listening to her father who by the way doesnt want his daughter to own an antique car. And he will be nice and comfortable in Florida while Im dealing with his daughters emotions about the car, sellers remorse and people in general. It may not seem like a big deal to you. But then again you werent there the day she bought that car, you didnt see how proud she was of having an antique car of her own, and you dont love her . I do . And to have the rug pulled out from under her like that, on her birthday of all days, flat out sucked. You know why????? I couldnt do anything about it...... and thats whats bothering me . And if youve got a problem with me being protective of my wife and her feelings . The line to place your lips on my gluteus maximus starts to the left .

With all respect......... youre not living here. And if this thread is bothering you that much ......dont read it anymore.I dont read anyone complaining but you.

Guest simplyconnected

A big, "Happy Birthday" to the missus. Tell her I love her car, Dan. Crack your wallet open, dust off the cob webs, and do a little work on it to make her feel better about cruising in it. I hope she never stops. I enjoy seeing '67 Skylarks, still on the road.

Pittsburg is famous for producing the fine steel Detroit used to make our highly polished, 'labors of love'. By contrast, we Detroiters offer a hearty "Thank You" to our Canadian brothers for producing great hockey players.

Because Detroit is situated one mile from Windsor, Canada, our young hockey players train with theirs producing a hybrid team of Stanley Cup winners, the Detroit Red Wings.

Penquins (the other white meat) have been a formidable foe in the past six games, but we are playing the final game in Detroit's Joe Lewis Arena. The Wings are more serious now, and will not release their clutch on Lord Stanley's cup. Game seven, Fri Jun 12, 2009 - 8:00 PM. GO WINGS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont read it anymore.I dont read anyone complaining but you.

</div></div>

Yo Dan! Easy boy. Cool those jets! I'm not complaining about all the drama. I'm mearly suggesting that by continuing to dwell on it you are only hurting yourself. I'm pretty sure the boorish remark maker hasn't lost any sleep over it.

Getting over it is the best thing you and your's can do.

If jumping down my throat helps, have at it. My shoulders are wide and my skin is about a foot thick.........Bob

Guest als 66

I'm with Bob...

Jeeeezzz..... Everyone here is trying to pat you on the back and make you feel better and poor Bob says what I'm thinking and you jumped down his throat in 2 seconds.

Yet, for some reason, you say nothing to a jerk who offended your wife soooooo much that you can't stop thinking about it. My Lord....... You can have a "perfect car" and someone will still have something to say. What will you do then?

My advice (again). If shes going to get offended every time someones says something negative about her car then tell her to sell it. End of story, end of drama...

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings too......(really)

P.S. Don't worry Bob, when theres a thread complaining about you, I'll read it.

Bob has actually made several good points.

A) this is how the Hatfields and McCoys started.

B) the old fart who made the original statement hasn't lost any sleep over this.

C) getting over it is the best thing at this point

We're all in this together, enjoy your car and I hope your wife doesn't sell hers.

(Also, very) respectfully

In my humble opinion the only thing that really matters is what you, and more importantly, your wife thinks of the car. It sounds like she loves it and enjoys it and that's what really counts, not what some snob had to say. It's unfortunate that he upset her particularly on her birthday but that's a reflection on his lack of class and nothing else. I hope you can convince her of that so she can get out there and enjoy her car and continue working on it. Car shows and cruises are about enjoying your car and making some friends, the make, year and condition of your car doesn't matter.

Reminds of when I bought my green 64 Starfire and the first cruise night comment I got from a local Chevy bully was a disdainful "I sure hope you're going to paint that car a different color."

My response was a 'you are the stupidest sob I've ever met' look and the reply "Why would I want to do that?" followed by "Any of your money tied up in this car?"

He gives me wide berth these days...

Work on and improve the car as you have time and money and don't be afraid to bring it out. It's 42 years old and still presentable. Who cares what somebody else thinks if they're not contributing to ownership and upkeep of the car?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dan Cook
[/Tell your lovely wife that the idiots come out of the woodwork, and most of them drive Datsuns

And in this case----Cadillacs.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Bob ..... My apologies. Its kind of a raw nerve with me. She hasnt really had the car out since and frankly its got me a bit upset. But apparently there isnt much I can do. As for dealing with the offender . Believe me when I tell you he did get dealt with. Right there at the sight of the offense. Any way now over a month later I think its time to put it out of its misery. Im hoping a little time will heal my wifes battered ego and she will once again take her Skylark out into the sun.

Dan