1954 Roadmaster Convertible on eBay ???

Fred Zwicker

Several days ago, there was a beautiful restored red 1954 Buick Roadmaster Convertible on eBay from a seller in MD. There was NO RESERVE and the car was receiving many bids. The seller had only one (1) positive. I believe bidding was up to around $15,000 or so. Even though I figured it didn't look right (since no reserve), I sent an email to the seller (through eBay). Before I received a reply, eBay pulled the auction.

Yesterday afternoon I received this email message from the seller, offering the car for $10,000 with prepaid shipping anywhere in the U.S. Any comments on all of this ??? It smells to me.

Hi

Thank you for your interest in my 54 Buick Roadmaster convertible. The car is located in Lutherville MD. It has all the papers (complete). This was my son's car who passed away 6 months ago, it only brings me bad memories. I want this transaction to be smooth as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and I don't have much time at my disposal. The car is in perfect condition, no scratches, no special marks, no need for additional repairs what so ever, no leaks, rust free. Original 322 V-8, Automatic, Ground up restoration performed on an existing solid frame and body. Original engine pulled, vatted, bored .30 over and assembled with all new components. New upholstery, carpet, convertible top and all new weatherstripping. Undercarriage mechanically reconditioned with new bushings and suspension system. Research indicates that 3010 Roadmasters were manufactured in 1954 with a mere 52 survivors left today. An excellent example of a Mid-Fifties Classic Cruiser. Only 54,500 miles. A great car ready to be yours. It has a clear title.

The price is $10,000 including shipping costs anywhere in the continental US. There are no other costs regarding this transaction. Regarding payment I am aware of the eBay's rules and we will use Vehicle Purchase Protection Program which will hold the payment until you receive the car. If you are interested please provide me the following informations necessary to make a decision:

-full name

-any negative feedback and if so .... for what reason.

If I receive the requested information you will be informed by eBay during the next hours with details about your purchase.

Thank you,

PS: I have uploaded some photos for your consideration:

Guest imported_MrEarl

In fact Fred, that was the second red '54 Roadmaster convertible to be on ebay in the last 3 weeks. The first one went for like 21K. I guess he thought he did so well on that one he found some pictures of another one and thought he'd try it again. The guy is a joke. Did you notice he canceled several bids with the reason of "I won't just sell to anyone " with mine being one of them. That really p***** me off so I reported him to ebay and they canceled the auction. There hasn't been as many of these scam auctions since they started omitting the users ebay ID on the bids. What I'll never understand is why do these idiots offer such great deals on their cars. Everybody knows "if it looks too good to be true it probably is".

However when the first auction was over (in which I had playfully bid 19054.54) I did have the gut wrenching thought "Man what if somebody really did win this thing for twenty one grand".

Guest 40series

I am sure it is a scam but a quick way to find out is to tell the seller that you have a friend who can inspect the car in person and pay in cash upon inspection of the car and will wait while the transaction processes through Ebay then load the car. You will probably get no reply.

I have seen several of these "too good to be true" auctions that were obvious scams (more obvious than this one) that I reported to Ebay. In fact one scumbag tried listing the car (it was a 57 RM convertible) a few times and it kept getting pulled.

No, no, don't waste your money on some stupid car. Listen, I have sure fire deal on a bridge. Can't lose.

Don't want a bridge? OK. I have 20 million cash waiting for me in Nigera. All I have to do is send them some cash or my credit card number. You can have the 20 million for just a small good faith cash payment to me.

Seriously, con games thrive on deals too good to be true. This is a classic and well worn varity of one........Bob

I just received another email from the seller - Does anyone know how the Buyer Protection Plan offered by eBay works? Also what is his motive if the eBay plan is legitimate? Undoubtedly sooner or later he will be wanting a deposit to be wired to hold the car. Here is a copy of his email, which I will not answer, as in my email to him I mentioned that when eBay pulls an auction it is not a good sign and I wanted to know the reason for this and also wanted his complete address and phone number. Instead here is his answer:

"The accident was 6 months ago and I was badly injured. I have problems with my hearing and most of the time have headackes. Now I'm at a clinic in Great Falls MT for treatment, I come here every 2 weeks but if the car sells, I will be in Lutherville in no more than 48h. I can hand it over or arrange delivery to you. This is why we'll work through ebay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program and they will hold the deposit until the purchase is final, and you test and accept the car. To be able to use this program you need to qualify. I have been approved a while ago and I was very satisfied. So, if you want to move on, I will let them know I've found a potential buyer. If you get approved, you will receive the confirmation from them soon."

Guest 40series

I have been an Ebay seller for alomst 10 years now and have over 2400 pos. feedbacks and have bought and sold dozens of cars but Ebay has never told me about this service? I wonder why they would do that to me??

Post the email address and we can all join in the fun!!!

Guest Richard D

Run away from this guy as fast as you can. But if you would post the email address I would love to have some fun with this person who cons honest people.

Richard

There was a spectacular, red, 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible on ebay about a year ago. It was obviously fully restored and probably worth on the order of $30,000 plus. Ebay listing said it was in Dallas, Texas so I sent the seller an email asking to see it in person. There was a "buy it now" of $9500.00, so I knew it was a scam. Also, the subtropical landscaping of the house behind the car in the photos was far too lush to have been located in Dallas, so that tipped me off, too. I emailed the seller that I would be in Dallas that Saturday, and could he tell me the address so I could come by and see the car? He emailed back that he was temporarily out of the country, on a work assignment in London, England, but I could use the so-called "escrow service" and pay for the car in full in advance, etc., etc.

Oldest scam in the ebay book. Don't fall for it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas