Anyone used a pertronix ignition conversion ????

AndyC

Thinking about conversion on a 62 New Yorker to a Pertronix Ignition and coil. Any feedback pros and cons???

I know this probably makes some of you cringe, but as a retired Firefighter/paramedic on a City Government pension, things are a little tight, and I,m trying to improve performance on an original car.

post-32862-143138078889_thumb.jpg

post-32862-14313807889_thumb.jpg

post-32862-143138079137_thumb.jpg

post-32862-143138079138_thumb.jpg

Do it Andy. I have units in all my old cars, the oldest in service about 13 years with zero problems. BTW, a pertronix coil is not necessary the ignition module works just fine with stock coils.........Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it Andy. I have units in all my old cars, the oldest in service about 13 years with zero problems. BTW, a pertronix coil is not necessary the ignition module works just fine with stock coils.........Bob </div></div>

Thanks, wanted to improve performance a little,but keep the "stock" look

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AndyC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do it Andy. I have units in all my old cars, the oldest in service about 13 years with zero problems. BTW, a pertronix coil is not necessary the ignition module works just fine with stock coils.........Bob </div></div>

Thanks, wanted to improve performance a little,but keep the "stock" look </div></div>

I have it on my 64 Galaxie. Works great. I haven't had to adjust the timing since I installed it over 5 years ago.

6-volt units are junk but the Pertronix II 12-volt modules work great. I have it on my boat and my '56 Mark II.

The Pertronix I 6-volt model quit working if the voltage drops below 5.2 volts on start-up. In other words, you had better have a fully charged battery, or you're not going anywhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The Pertronix I 6-volt model quit working if the voltage drops below 5.2 volts on start-up. In other words, you had better have a fully charged battery, or you're not going anywhere.

</div></div>

I have one (6 volt) in my 39 PU and have had no starting problems even during the winter when the battery will barely crank the engine over..........Bob

Guest abh3usn

I'd recomend it. They are big in the MG community to cast out the demon Lucas. Very reliable and an invisible upgrade with improved reliability. Go for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abh3usn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recomend it. They are big in the MG community to cast out the demon Lucas. Very reliable and an invisible upgrade with improved reliability. Go for it.</div></div>

Ahhhh....Lucas.....prince of darkness.

Guest Bob Call

The Petronix is more reliable than the points and condenser. Only clue that your ignition is not stock is that there will be two wires coming out of the distributor instead of one as on stock.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I have a Pertronix 6 volt unit on my Straight 8 Buick. I slipped a black plastic cover over the red wire, cut both to "fit" and only upon very close examination can you tell there are two wires. Works great and so far reliable.

Joe, BCA 33493

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The little magnets fall out and then you have to shim the distributor which is bad for the oil pump drive in most motors...

</div></div>

HUH????????????????

Love It or Hate It ... there doesn't seem to be any neutral opinions ... confused.gif

I put one in my 1954 Cadillac a couple of years ago, and haven't had to think of it again ... grin.gif

Some of the negative comments in other threads state that at some time in the future it may fail suddenly, and that you should keep your origional points & condensor ... just in case ...

I LOVE IT ... and haven't had a problem myself ...

On the 356 Porsche site they recommend bringing a spare distributor with preset points as it would be harder to swap Pertronix for points while on the side of the road.

As I stated earlier. I have them on my 12-volt cars and love them. My own experience of being left stranded several times by the 6-volt unit has just left me with a bad tastes in my mouth, so to speak.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pitt64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No way in hell are one of those cheap units as reliable as points.. Ask the guy who re-curves distributors.. The little magnets fall out and then you have to shim the distributor which is bad for the oil pump drive in most motors...

You still have to service the cap and rotor..

If you want a good electronic ignition add the MSD6AL to your stock points distributor..

All that cheap gizmo will do is add a weak link to a good system..

Your making a bad decision installing one of those things... </div></div>

Hilarious!

Shim the distributor? What does that have to do with anything?

Service the cap and rotor? Ok. That takes 5 minutes.

Yes, a bright red MSD unit would look right at home in the engine compartment of the OP's car.

Weak link? Based on what?

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a little web searching and found a couple of references to magnet failure.

First I've heard of it. Mine are encased in plastic. Wonder how early this version is.

DSC_0107.jpg </div></div>

That whole distributor looks like its seen better days! LOL

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DavidP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love It or Hate It ... there doesn't seem to be any neutral opinions ... confused.gif

I put one in my 1954 Cadillac a couple of years ago, and haven't had to think of it again ... grin.gif

Some of the negative comments in other threads state that at some time in the future it may fail suddenly, and that you should keep your origional points & condensor ... just in case ...

I LOVE IT ... and haven't had a problem myself ... </div></div>

What do those same threads suggest you do after your old points and condensor fail suddenly? Not like that has ever happened to anyone. LOL

Well, seems the pro's out weigh the one con

<span style="color: #339999">"No way in hell are one of those cheap units as reliable as points.. Ask the guy who re-curves distributors.. The little magnets fall out and then you have to shim the distributor which is bad for the oil pump drive in most motors.

You still have to service the cap and rotor..

If you want a good electronic ignition add the MSD6AL to your stock points distributor.

All that cheap gizmo will do is add a weak link to a good system..

Your making a bad decision installing one of those things... "</span>

Which by the way I still haven't figured out?? Has been ordered, and let you all know in a week or so. Thanks for all the input.

And yea that big red box would really look nice bolted to the firewall.<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #FF0000">NOT</span></span>

post-32862-143138080317_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Guest trainguy

Have one in my 62 Olds for over 10 years and 50,000 miles,no problems.Have a spard std dizzy in my trunck,never needed it. Phil:)

I have installed dozens of Pertronix units, ALL without any problems. My Amphicar has been so quipped for 10+ years now, my 59 Skyliner for 2 and all customers cars get them, all love it because once you spend that 10 mins installing it, you'll never have to think about it again. No more toasted points, no more sketchy condensers!

MSD units are fine, but no matter how hard you try, it's NEVER gonna fit inside my dist cap and points will NEVER be as reliable as a pertronix unit. There is a reason they don't use a point type ign system on new vehicles and haven't for some time.

I installed a Pertronix unit with their high output coil in my '60 Ford. It starts immediately, smoother idle and more power. I didn't notice an improvement in fuel economy. I think I drive it a little harder since installing the unit. No problems with the product.