1930 Cadillac V-16 7-passenger sedan

In 2006, a Series 4375-S V-16 seven passenger sedan was sold as part of the J.C. Stevens estate by RM Auctions. The current owner of the car (a very complete and straight "driver") is seriously considering removing and selling the engine, replacing it with a modern drive-train and transmission so he can drive the car. Craig's list link follows:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1183184200.html

I am posting this information in the hope that someone can save the car from such a fate. I have spoken with the owner, but I have no stake in the matter, except the wish to see the car find a good home. The car needs some work, but it's a great HPOF specimen. The link to the RM Auctions write-up (and photos) is:

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cfm?SaleCode=JS06&CarID=r146&Currency=

Chris Cummings

Manassas, Virginia

Guest Hugh32

The current owner of the car (a very complete and straight "driver")

The car may be a straight driver, but the owner isn't smile.gif

I was very involved with the RM/JE Stevens sale in Cortland and know this car well. It is a very nice original car and would have easily cleaned up to be a great driver wearing a wonderful patina. It had deteriorated from being in poor storage (like the other cars in that collection) but it was still a grand V16.

Are you kidding me????? You mean that someone would actually do THAT to a car rarely seen outside of a museum?????

A friend of mine just told me of another "shameful" attempt on a 1928 Cadillac Playboy roadster....the guy wants to chop a hole in the side of the body to put a door for better access to the rumble seat!!

ARGGGGG!!!!! SOME PEOPLE!

A couple of years ago on my Classic Car, there was a Packard Darrin that had been modified with a late model V8 with automatic and I didn't think it could get much worse. This would be much worse and I hope someone can save this fine car.

Guest 34 Pierce Guy

Why oh why??????? How can you not "drive" a car that originally came with a V16? And honestly, why spend that kind of money on a nice complete car when all you want to do is chop it up? Sounds like another case of more money than taste, where the buyer should have just bought something else.

Maybe next they will find a nice Marmon V16 to chop the top off of to make a 'cool' street rod.

What a waste...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34 Pierce Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why oh why??????? How can you not "drive" a car that originally came with a V16? And honestly, why spend that kind of money on a nice complete car when all you want to do is chop it up? Sounds like another case of more money than taste, where the buyer should have just bought something else.

Maybe next they will find a nice Marmon V16 to chop the top off of to make a 'cool' street rod.

What a waste...</div></div>

I think the term is "more money than brains".

Every time I see one of those "improved" and "modernized" jobs, I wonder why someone who wants a 350 V-8, Turbo-Hydramatic transmission, power steering and brakes, tilt wheel, and velour upholstery doesn't just buy a '76 Cutlass instead of permanently ruining one of those beautiful classics.

Guest prof pat

The only "bright spot" in this story is the probability that the discards will become the heart transplant to revive a similar model that otherwise would not be brought back to life. While I have acquired several 90%+ original cars and passed them along to collectors and restorer that protected them for the future, I have also passed along shells (50% or less originals) along to Hot rodders that did thier thing to put them back on the road. Was I wrong to do so? I do not think so.

I agree with the professor.

I have built deveral 'Hot Rods', however I have never built one from a car that could have been saved. All had been previously butchered or otherwise abused.

I have also done some restorations that came out well, I do enjoy the challenge of making something function that isn't supposed to.

This is a hobby and one should not take to much critisism from the purists. (a good parts supply)

Let me finish by saying that in my opinion this Cadillac should not be altered to modern running gear if it has not yet fallen under the butchers torch.

I am all new on this forum... I am living in Belgium and am very interested by the Depression Era Classic Cars. When I am seeing people who are destroying classic cars which are really rare for their own pleasure it gives me some pain in heart. I am understanding them when they are using some cars they found in salvage yards in a state we cannot describe but not when the car is in excellent state like the ones I have seen here http://www.di-customcars.ca/04_00_____CURRENT_____0.php

Then you certainly will understand my "point de vue".

Guest Gary Hearn

I am not a rodder and hate to see any car modified, but I would suspect they are no different than a restorer and would want to find the best car available to start their project with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JACK M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keizer, You lost your boat !</div></div>

Actually, I've lost a LOT more than my boat.....

The car is a 1931 Dodge DH6 coupe that some other guy owns. I was looking to get the door trim from the guy, but he wants to use the car parts for some project car. Something to do with a Franklin speedster or some such thing.

Dear llopdoro,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forums. Nice of you to write all the way from Belgium. There is another countryman of yours who posts messages here named Philippe Mordant. He is a member of the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium and the Peerless Motor Car Club. Please look at the Peerless Forum farther down the list of 94 AACA Forum categories ( we're after Marmon and Packard, but before Pierce-Arrow and Stutz ) and you will find some messages from Mr. Mordant.

I agree with you completely about the grand Cadillac V-16 and the cars described in your attachment. ----Jeff

Yes, I was doing the knowing of Philippe Mordant on this forum, he is living at about 30 miles from my home, he is mad of Peerless and has intention to purchase other cars and restore them.

Personally I am member of the ACCF, American Car Club of France from a few years but I was already member of the same club 30 years ago, and before I was member of different Belgian clubs in the center and north of Belgium when I was living near Brussels, my marriage just 30 years ago drove me at the south of country between Philippe Mordant and Luxembourg and all was changed, I was remaining owner of a 1966 Corvair Corsa 140 but my ideas have changed and I am more interested by older American cars. I have the intention to create my own museum but before doing that I meed to find the ideal place, what will be in a few weeks, this Cadillac seems very interesting but it can be sold before I will be able to do, it is the law of offers and demands, there are other opportunities, even here in Europe.

Very good to hear from you again. I had not heard of the ACCF before, but Philippe tells me that Belgium is known for its great numbers of American cars and that there may be more American cars in Belgium than in France.

It is quite debatable what list of cars would make a great collection, but I think that a V-16 Cadillac could be the centerpiece of <span style="font-weight: bold">any</span> auto museum. Oddly enough, one of the best representions of pre-WWII American autos I've heard of is the new museum that opened in Alaska a week ago.....the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum. They are one the few collections in the world to have a Packard, a Peerless AND a Pierce-Arrow. They also will have a Cadillac V-16 Imperial Limousine when it's out of the restoration shop.

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">You're thinking about creating your own (prewar) museum?!

Waugh, that's really great, but will give you some trouble making your choice in cars!

If it's an American car you want, there are so many, very collectible, models! Good luck with that! cool.gif

In the events we got here in Holland, we meet several Belgium people with the most beautiful cars.

Belgium has a fine collection of cars anyway!

For a starter I know a drivable, but original, 1926 Studebaker Big Six sedan for sale.

Bonne chance!

Carine</span>