Register my car in Florida? antique plate from other state

adam49

I have an antique automobile that is titled in another state. This automobile has an antique license plate that is on the vehicle from that state. The license plate is registered in that state using my Florida address. The liability insurance is written with the Florida mailing address.

I have been told that my vehicle must be titled and licensed in Florida and issued Florida plates, but I can not find that in the DMV information. I would like to keep the antique license plate that is on the car and not change the title or registration or insurance.

Can I do this?

Please advise. Thank you.

Guest tim hayes

Not sure how Florida DMV works. Here in Tennessee, if you

have an antique TN license in the car at all times - you may

put any type plate on the car.

Adam,

You were misinformed.

Florida is VERY accustomed to dealing with people with dual addresses that spend a lot of time in Florida every year, but call another state home. Here's the requirements from the Florida Web site at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqmotor.html#2 :

<span style="font-style: italic">In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming <span style="text-decoration: underline">employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency.</span> Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process. </span>

Most states require you to register a car if you only move to the state, working or not. But, Florida makes so much money off of snow birds and tourists, their laws are a little different. So if you are visiting for a vacation or part-time home, you don't need to change your tags.

Now, there is one other thing to keep in mind: Florida doesn't have an income tax. If you are from a state with an income tax and can meet the reqirements to be a Florida resident, you could save a LOT of money by becoming a Florida resident. No income tax = MORE MONEY FOR CARS!!

Joe