1938 Buick locking door handle

Guest northern wayne

Guest northern wayne

OK, I give up! My shop manual says that I should use a small drift to punch out the pin that holds the lock mechanism in. I am starting to think that perhaps this is an "invisable" pin! I cannot find the pin! Perhaps it is in/under the few pockets of rust left on the handle?

Any help would be appreciated.......thanks :

Keep looking, Wayne. It's there, it's tiny and it's hard to find. I spent a couple of days looking when I wanted to get my locking handle re-chromed. Clean off the rest of the rust, get out your magnifier, and it'll show itself. Sorry, I can't help with the exact location. It's been a while.

Wayne, the very small pin is actually on the steel shaft. This pin, about the size wire of a paper clip, does not traverse through the center of the shaft but rather off slightly to one side. You should be able to feel an indentation of sorts and if not, take some sandpaper and sand the steel shaft and I'll bet you will quickly see where it is at. Good Luck with it!

Joel

Guest northern wayne

Thank you, thank-you.....I found the little sucker!! It helped knowing that it was actually there and not a figment of some manual writer's imagination. A local guy made me a key and now I am waiting to see if the lock-less handle I bought is better than the ones I have. Thank you again

• 2 years later...