Selection of Engine Oil

Guest Majmx

Guest Majmx

On page 83 of the 1989 TC Operating Instruction & Product Information manual paragraph 2. Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade)it stats "SAE 10W-40 and SAE 10W-50 engine oils are not recommended for use in Chrysler Motor vehicles. These oils should never be used in turbocharged engines."

I believe this information was base on petroleum based oils technology and not on the 100% syntec oils we have today.

With the heat generated by a 2.2 turbo engine turning over 4,500 rpm would Chrysler Motor’s, in 2009, still not recommend running 10W-40 or 10W- 50 syntec oil in a turbocharged engines?

The reason for asking is it oil change time and the weather in the UK is getting warmer.

Cheers,

Bob Steele

Guest My TC Toy

I think we have been down this road before. The TC service manual, red one, (page O-8) apparently clearly indicates 5W-30 in all turbo engines, and 5W-30 or 10W-30 in all non-turbo engines with the former in preferred in cooler climates and the latter in warmer locations. I know that in my 2.4L HO turbo the oil cap indicates 5W-30 only. It appears clear that Chrysler wants 5w-30 used in all turbos, at least from 1990 to 2006.

Bob

Guest Majmx

I do appreciate your thoughts on the correct weight of synte oil to use.

I have decided to stick with the 10-30 syntec oil.

Cheers,

Bob

Guest My TC Toy

The viscosity of synthetic oils is just that and has nothing to do with the protection it offers. The Chrysler manual clearly states the use of 5W-30 on ALL turbo engines. Sure use synthetic oils for the additional protection they offer but do not change the viscosity recommendations.

• 10 months later...
Guest WRa5300745

:) I am a new member and just had my 16V delivered this past Sarurday. However in anticipation of acquiring a low mileage, , one owner 16V TC I purchaed a "Chrysler TC By Maserati Service Manual". On page 0-8 it clearly shows the temperature range of 5W-30 on all turbos as -20 to +32 F. It is not clear as to the proper viscosity to use above 32F. However I personally would be very concerned to use 5W30 on a 90F day in Texas.:confused:

WRa5300745

Marvin

Guest My TC Toy

That chart does indicate as you said. However for every application Chrysler recommends 30w oil for all hot engine temperatures. Remember that 5W-30 oil is 5W when cold (thereby cranking easier) and 30W when hot. The indicator in that chart for 10W-30 oils is for all applications from 0 to 100+ deg F. Simply put if you live in an area that does not fall normally below 0 deg F. 10W-30 would be good all year long. It would be more important to change the oil & filter at recommended intervals.

Hope you enjoy the use of your TC.

Bob

For a turbocharged application requiring a 30-weight oil, I would use a 0W-30 Heavy Duty Engine Oil like Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic or Esso XD-3 Extra. These are synthetic oils that do not thin-out easily at high temperatures and have robust additive packages. The flow characteristics of synthetic oil give these oils their 0W rating.

Engine Oil Article

Edited by fraso
Link Update (see edit history)

Guest My TC Toy

0W when cold only, they will run 30W at normal engine temperatures. Question, can an oil really be 0W?

My TC Toy said:
Question, can an oil really be 0W?

Why not? If it meets the performance criteria for 0W, it is rated as such.

The higher viscosity index of a synthetic is what helps it to flow more easily at low temperatures and to keep its viscosity from becoming too thin at high temperatures.

Edited by fraso

Guest WRa5300745

:)Although I use 100% syn oil in my other cars, I have experienced countless leaks in a 1996 Camry w/ 100,000 miles. I don't drive my other cars enough to detect leaks.. However I have read numerous posts that indicate that the 100% syn seems to find leaks where none exiisted before. I would appreciate replies from those of you who are using 100% syn in 16 valve , Cosworth engines regarding leaks before I change the oil on my recently acquired16V TC with 21,000 miles. All you guys help would be greatly appreciated:confused:

WRa5300745,

Marvin

Regarding leaks from synthetic oils, see the Corvair Oil Article (Bottom Line Recommendation 15, p 18). If a synthetic oil reveals leaks in your engine, maybe the problem is really with the gaskets and seals rather than with the oil. BTW, the 0W-30 Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic I suggested earlier is a Group III oil. Basically, Group III oils are more highly refined versions of Group II mineral oil base stocks.

Edited by fraso

I run Mobil 1, Motor oil in all my vehicles. I use the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer. In the TCs that don't get used very much, I change the oil every 6 months, I change the filter at every oil change. I had an '89 16V with 48,000 mi on it. I really cranked it up a couple of times....Well maybe more than a couple of times. There were no leaks. If any Visitor or Contractor, EVER dripped any oil on my driveway, I would have them clean it with thier teeth.....

If an engine is in fact sealed the synthetic will not find any leaks where there is none..

Synthetic oil has a very good "detergent" package; but so does a good quality multi viscosity petrolieum motor oil..

That being said.. Your engine's seals and gaskets are 20 years old. Keep your eyes on it and repair any leaks that develop with use.

Good Luck, & happy muttering, Lou

I just edited my answer for 1 more thing.. KEEP YOUR PCV VALVE BREATHING SYSTEM CLEAN & MAINTAINED. It is supposed to keep a negitive pressure on your crancase whyle running...lz

Edited by LouZ (see edit history)

• 12 years later...
45 minutes ago, SAB314 said:

Are the any updates for 2023?  Thanks

I’ll add my preference here;

Been using Mobil-1 for many years. Due to ambient temperatures here in Arizona are often 110F and above most summer months, I use 20w-50 if I can find it or 20w-40 in my 296,000+ mile ‘89 TC with the early block 2.2 8-valve setup. I will add that I drive my TC, I do not race it, but I will use all  power available under some circumstances if necessary. I do also enjoy getting 30+ MPG with this car on the road which is possible with a 5 speed trans.

I don’t really understand what the fuss over oil viscosity is about. Even generic 10-30 or 20-40 engine oil is viable. 

By the way, I run the engine oil 15,000 miles between changes and replace the oil filter 1 time in between @ around 7,500 mi.  I have a spotless engine internally and still no indication of oil consumption between changes.  

• Like 1

I'm also a member of the Mobil-1 club and use it with no problem in 4 of my 5 16v cars, one of which I do race.   My early 89 car leaks synthetic oil, but not non-synthetic of the same viscosity.  I'm getting ready to install a very high horsepower engine in one of the other TC's and will go with Mobil-1 once the break-in is completed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wild bill said:

Hemi, you must be a lot quicker than me getting that filter replaced to do it between oil changes.

Well!  I don’t do it while the engine is running!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ran Amsoil Premium Protection 10W-40 in my turbo cars until they released Z-Rod 10W-30. Both have high levels of ZDDP (High-zinc, high-phosphorus) to protect things like flat-tappet cams in older cars. I run the Z-Rod 10W-30 in my '91 V6 TC. My '90 750iL has run Amsoil since new (I'm the 2nd owner) and the inside of the engine still looks great at 183,000 miles. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 9:52 PM, Hemi Dude said:

I’ll add my preference here;

Been using Mobil-1 for many years. Due to ambient temperatures here in Arizona are often 110F and above most summer months, I use 20w-50 if I can find it or 20w-40 in my 296,000+ mile ‘89 TC with the early block 2.2 8-valve setup. I will add that I drive my TC, I do not race it, but I will use all  power available under some circumstances if necessary. I do also enjoy getting 30+ MPG with this car on the road which is possible with a 5 speed trans.

I don’t really understand what the fuss over oil viscosity is about. Even generic 10-30 or 20-40 engine oil is viable. 

By the way, I run the engine oil 15,000 miles between changes and replace the oil filter 1 time in between @ around 7,500 mi.  I have a spotless engine internally and still no indication of oil consumption between changes.  

Hey Hemi! quick viscosity quiz....in LA, I used to have 10w40....while back in europe, 5w30 ...I now switched to 5w40.....whats your opinion on that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shelbyone said:

Hey Hemi! quick viscosity quiz....in LA, I used to have 10w40....while back in europe, 5w30 ...I now switched to 5w40.....whats your opinion on that?

Frankly any one of the three is satisfactory. 

• Like 1