47 Roadmaster Engine Color

Guest 47Roadmaster

Guest 47Roadmaster

This may have been discussed in this forum, but I have not been able to find it. I have recently purchased what appears to be an all original 47 Roadmaster in great condition including a mint steering wheel.

I am wondering why the engine is black and not turquois?

I plan to repaint the valve covers and sparkplug covers. What color should the decal be? Red would look sharp, but not sure if it would be right.

Engine Photo

Any information would be appreciated.

As a newbee I am enjoying reading all of the posts.

Thank you.

Mike

Mike,

Check your engine number against the tabulation in the BCA judging manual. If it is not original, then your car may have a factory replacement engine, which were painted black.

The BCA accepts the black colored engines for some years.

Grandpa

Check your oil filter also. It should be Blue and orange (AC colors).

It looks like it was a add on as its the correct type but doesn't look plumbed correctly.

As far as the decal goes, unless you are getting judged in a national Buick meet, pick the one that looks best. You will like it more.

Guest 47Roadmaster

Thanks for the information. The car will be back from the shop in the next couple of days and I will check the engine number. It is in the shop having brake work done.

The mechanic told me he is surprised that there is no rust to speak of. It appears the car was garage kept.

Thanks again.

Stevo...hope to run into you some day. I am only about 3 hours away from your area.

Guest 47Roadmaster

Got the car back from the shop and upon a close inspection it looks like the turquoise paint has just come off as there are reminents of it here and there on the covers. The base of the block is still blue. I guess what is visible is just the primer paint. Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike,

Looking forward to parking my Super next to it's big Roadmaster brother. The Niagara Frontier Chapter has a show coming up the 26th of July. If you are interested, I'll send you a registration sheet.

stevo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The engine on my 47 Roadmaster was also black but upon close inspection I also found traces of turquoise here and there. I guess 60 years is just to much for turquoise to hang on. According to Bob at Bobs automobilia the decal color for your 47 roadmaster engine is red and he sent me a good decal to put on. Paul