Need help with float '39 Dodge w/ Stromberg

Guest Dodge Deluxe

Guest Dodge Deluxe

Greetings,

I am needing some assistance on how to check and set the float in my Stromberg carb. I have a '39 Dodge sedan, I need to know first, what is the correct measurement and second how do you check it and/or set it? Where do you measure and what are the specs?

Any help appreciated.

Dan

Based on my Motors manual, if you have a BXV-3; the fuel level should be 5/8" below the the top surface of the float chamber with the gasket removed. Most of the time the float is adjusted, but, looks like you will have to put gas in the carb and measure the gas level down from the top when the needle valve seats.

Guest Dodge Deluxe

No electric fuel pump, it's mechanical. I emailed Clive at Stromberg Carb today, he told me to pull the carb and turn it upside down. He said while holding it upside down, the top of the float should be flush with the top of the float chamber. Mine was slighty higher so I lowered it so it was slightly lower than the top of the chamber and reinstalled the carb. It seems to be running fine in the driveway, but I have not tried venturing down the road yet, need to make sure I have someone who can pull me back home if need be.

Regards;

Dan

Guest elmo39

I think i should say a bit more about this , i have owned Chrysler product cars since 1958 when my first one was a 1938 Dodge , since then most of the cars , up untill about 15-20 years ago when American car supplies dried up here, were mainly Chrysler sourced, apart from a 55 chev , i should be shot for selling , not for the quality(although it was an excellent car ) but for the price they are now getting .I still have a 39 S6 DeSoto and a 1954 DeSoto diplomat (which is a Plymouth in disguise) , in all that time and the cars i have owned , the onley work that i found needed to be done on the carbs was a good clean out and maybe replace the needle valve ,usualy all i have ever had to do is unblock the jets , it helps to own a compressor, i have never had to adjust the float level , or replace gaskets , remember that the float level can only be altered by some one physicaly altering it .

• 4 weeks later...