Power Brake Pump/Booster - Am I getting screwed?

Bushwack

In regards to a 1990 Reatta....

I've had the accumulator replaced earlier this week and all worked well..for one day. Then the brake pedal was very hard to press down. Took the car back to the mechanic and he said a new brake pump is needed. His explanation was that due to the failed accumulator that was replaced, the pump had become weak because it kept trying to re-pressurize the system. Now that there is a new accumulator, the brake pump can not sustain the pressure that the new accumulator requires.

Not being mechanically inclined, does this sound right? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

A new pressure switch was installed with the new accumulator. I asked the mechanic to put the old switch back on but he said the 'hard brake pedal' still existed.

Accumulator: $106.00

Pressure Switch $111.00

Brake pump: $490.00

Proctologist (aka labor) ????

Again I ask, is the pump running when the pedal is hard?

If the pump is not running, you can replace the motor without replacing the pump. Jim Finn may have a good used one.

If the motor is running you may need to replace the entire TEVES unit because of a bad pump.

You can get a rebuilt, tested, and warrantied brake unit from Prior (www.priorreman.com) for around $700 exchange.

Their unit includes everything that is mounted to the firewall. when you start replacing individual parts, you quickly pass their rebuilt cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushwack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ronnie - I'm being told the pump works but is too weak to pressurize the new accumulator. I do not have additional information. </div></div> If the pump is running there is not much more you can do but replace the whole unit with a re-manufactured one as Barney says. I've not heard of anyone being successful in repairing the pump themselves.

"Motor is running but is weak" does not sound right. That is also a very inexpensive accumulator (best price I've seen is $121) but the other pieces are not.

Did you have brakes before the accumulator was installed ? Are you certain it is the correct accumulator ? (Powermaster looks very similar but runs at a much lower pressure).

Thanks all for the input.

The accumulator is correct (it was $106.00 from Amazon last week - now $107.80). Used the part number mentioned from a previous thread and confirmed it with the mechanic.

I gave the go ahead to have the pump replaced (mechanic wanted $671 for the pump but agreed on $489.00 per the gmpartsdirect.com price plus an hour labor). Mechanic assured me (it is a Buick dealership) that all other parts of the brake system work fine. I should get the car back Friday afternoon. I'll drive it quite a bit over the long weekend and see how the car behaves.

I'll keep ya'll posted and thanks again for the input. Always something new to learn (and unexpected???) about this car.

Guest CL_Reatta

Actually.... About 100-200 miles before my brake pump failed the motor was running really weak, and could not sustain the correct pressure (constant running, very faint sound), so it is possible for the pump to be weak before it fails

Well...to summarize, the job is done. For others to reference, here's the tally:

Accumulator: $106.00

Pressure Switch $111.00

Brake pump (part #25535707): $490.00

Brake flush & fill: $110.00

Labor to install accumulator, pressure switch & pump: $220.00 ($96/hour)

..and misc taxes and surcharges

As I'm not a do-it-yourself guy and this is Los Angeles, a little over two hours for the first three items I find reasonable.

Ronnie - your site was very, very helpful and allowed me to educate myself on the system and not seem like a total knucklehead with the mechanic. But {and there's always a but smile.gif } I will add a comment (not that I am remotely qualified to do so).

Unless I'm mistaken, when the accumulator or pressure switch is referenced, it is implied that one or both of these items should take care of 90% of ABS repair concerns. But per the mechanic's comments, unless the accumulator is attended to rather quickly once it shows signs of failing, the pump becomes weak due to constantly trying to pressurize (as was my case) and that will also need to be replaced. I don't recall that scenario being mentioned (and per the mechanic, in this situation he's replaced the pump most of the time).

Again - not criticizing at all. But in case someone searches the forum having the same problem I did, this post might be of some help.

Thanks again to all for your input.