>> Need help with detailing suggestions <<

Guest TC42-MRP

Guest TC42-MRP

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of cleaning up my TC smile.gif . Do you have any tips when detailing up the TC? The big task I have is Engine area. It is dirty sick.gif and has grease on various areas. What tools or cleaning liquids did you use to make your TC shine cool.gif ?

Looking forward to all of your helpful suggestions.

Car specs:

1989, manual 2.2L 16v DOHC, 72k, Yellow exterior/Ginger interior.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably my favorite cleaning agent on my cars is Simple Green. It doesnt hurt that I found the 1/2 gallon refill jusgs at the .99 store and bought a 'few' of them ;)It's like a miracle in my opinion. On the engine/underhood areas use it full strength and brush the greasy areas with a stiff nylon bristle brush. You may need 2 applications on the really crusty parts. Castrol Super Power Clean (the purple stuff) cuts grease a bit better but it will also peel the skin off your fingers and etch any bare aluminum surfaces so be carefull with that stuff. I also use the Simple green 1/2 strength cut with water to clean the interior. Yes, I use it on the leather but not all the time, just for that once every couple years deep cleaning. Spray it right onto the seats and rub it off with an almost wet (but more than damp) terrycloth rag. You won't believe how much 'brighter' it will make the Ginger leather look! I use it on the dash and all the leather. Be sure and rinse out the rag well and go back over everything with just the damp rag to get all the cleaner off. to protect all that after everything has dried for a few hours, I like the 'Zymol' brand leather cleaner. but used by itself it didn't seem to treat the leather much so I poured a cuple ounces of Letherique Rejuvinator into the bottle and it works just right for me without being gooey and attracting dust like the rejuvinatior used strait out of the bottle does. Zymol also makes a very nice wax in a clear squeeze bottle (wax is bright blue though) that I use. Clay bar used first as directed works miracles too cool.gif Good luck, put up a pic or two of your 'after' results.

Alan

Guest d_voitel

I used Meguiars clay bar kit on the exterior last year when I bought my TC. It turned out great! I'm partial to Meguiars products, but I know there are other good products as well. I've heard good reports on leatherique for use on leather.

Guest TC Toad

I love using Mothers Back to Black on all the black exterior trim pieces, bumper pads, weatherstripping, trim, even the tires. To me it makes the tires look more natural looking then other tire dressings. Your mileage may vary!

Guest TC42-MRP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwinCamFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably my favorite cleaning agent on my cars is Simple Green.</div></div>

Alan,

I found a website for detailing cars and they had this to say about simple green, "Simple Green is not recommended, as we've heard reports of problems with certain kinds of metals." Have you had an issues with using straight solution of simple green?

Car detailing website:

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/engine.php

Guest LouZ

In the 70s I started using simple green for parts cleaning. I have cleaned so mant things with it, I must have used it on every metal known to man at least twice, with no problems that I know of.. Lou

I've never noticed the Simple Green to etch Aluminum, the Castrol super clean will do that in short order though. I spent about 8 hours this past weekend cleaning EVERYTHING on my new Daily driver, a lightly used Touareg V10. I used SG on all the surfaces with great results. I did realize that for interior/leather areas, I mixed it closer to 1/3 SG 2/3 water, not 1/2 strength like I had remembered. One clean T-Reg now smile.gif

Alan

Guest TC42-MRP

When washing down the engine area with water from the hose, do you cover up your electric connectors with something? If so, what do you use and what connectors did you cover that were critical?

Alan, I will look into this simple green. I will take photos. Life hectic right now so the car cleaning has been put on hold, but thanks for all the info and help.

Thanks to everyone for their info on this topic. smile.gif

Guest LouZ

My Procedure for engine cleaning:

Hood up in sun.. Run engine for about 5-10 min.(just warm not hot)..

Spray all with simple green,.. brush all dirty areas,.. wait 10 min. spray again,.. brush everything I can,.. spray again,.. hose off everything with moderite pressure,.. wipe everything I can, especially painted areas,.. run engine 15min. (Get everything hot) Leave hood open in sun for as long as I can (Couple of hours)...

So far never an electrical problem. Good Luck, Lou

Guest TC42-MRP

Lou,

Great information, I will try that myself. I clipped out a coupon for Simple Green yesterday. With the knowledge at hand I will see how clean I get my TC.

Supposed to have few days of sunny weather, then rain for couple and back to few days of sunny weather. Will take a before picture and then after and post them.

Guest TC42-MRP

WOW!!!! Is that how the engine area is supposed to look laugh.gif

Boy do I have a lot of work ahead of me. sick.gif

Great job Lou making that masterpiece of an engine look awesome.

Hope to get my engine area looking as good as yours. cool.gif

Guest LouZ

Mathew,

There is a spray can product called SPW (special purpose wax) it was originally intended to keep grass in summer, and snow in winter from sticking and packing on our mowers & blowers. I give the area a light spray & wipe. It don't smell or any other bad stuff when you run the engine. lz

Guest LouZ

HA HA !! Pledge was the old car show trick. We didn't have those micro cloth wipes then. We used a good soft mechanics wiper or a real diaper (not those stick on things with the plastic) They were the softest cloth you could find. We would spray with pledgr and as we were talking or just hanging out we were always wiping the dust. It also gave just the right shine on interiors too. Even on the cars I had painted with Imron + Clear coat.. crazy.gif

Guest LouZ

Well Alan, it's one of those stories. Mrs. Z would be happier if 1 of my toys goes. She realizes I got it at a good price, but our age .... you know the continuation.. But; you see, It does not have to go. Just as long as I gave it a good try. She knows the depressed financial state of the auto industry at this time. It's one of those things that let a marriage last for 53 years. OK beyond that.. How's it Look..???? The hardtop pics are from last year. That's "BD" (before detailing). lz

Guest Grizzzly

I too am a fan of Meguiar's products. Quite a few are available in gallon sizes and/or concentrated forms that can save you a few bucks when you are doing a lot of cars.

One of the tricks I learned from the people who resurect Vettes is waterless hand cleaner. Works in places that don't like water and you don't need gloves to use it. It will also not remove some factory markings as easily as other cleaners.

One other comment, alternators really don't like water. If I spray under the hood the alternator is covered.

Happy rubbing tired.gif