Sign in to follow this  
Roger Walling

Freeing "frozen" engins

I am in the process of freeing up a hemi that has sat for 38 years. I have a mixture of brake fluid and Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.

I am wondering if anyone has tried attaching a vibrating or heating device to an engine in an effort to speed up the process?

The engine is still complete and I am hoping to free it and start it, as it only has 35,000mi. on it.

(Todays laugh, the e-bay ad said "engin turns over, may start")

I use diesel fuel or PB Blaster spray.

You really need to get to the flywheel teeth to work it back and forth with a prybar. It may not seem like it is moving at all for a good long time, but you should get a little movement after trying that.

Make sure the valves are not stuck first. Find a way to work each rocker.

I freed up quite a few REAL old engines in the teens & 20's, but the worst one was last fall on a 67 Mustang 200 six. Even after getting it to turn over by hand many revolutions, it was still very stiff. I then used the starter. It would then spin good until I put the plugs in, so I kept soaking it and spinning it over several days. It did finally start, and I ran it 5 minutes then let it get cold again for many times, because it sounded like it was ready to seize. Patience paid off as it actually freed up and ran good with no smoke.

I'd fill each cyl with PB Blaster spray and each day try turning the either with crankbolt or fylwheel. in doing so go both ways the little jerking action from both directions will help. just don't get in a big hurry and really jerk hard on it or you'll likely to break a ring or piston.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Walling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

(Todays laugh, the e-bay ad said "engin turns over, may start")

</div></div>

I think I saw that car on ebay ...

"running when parked"

40 years ago ...

cry.gif