My interior headliner material is falling down

Guest Ruh

Guest Got a Reatta

I just purchased my first Reatta a month ago and am still learning how to spell it. I really am enjoying it but the fabric is separating from the headliner in the ceiling of the hardtop. It has a couple small holes in it but it looks like it was originally just spot glued when built or last fixed. What is the best way to fix it?

1990 Gray, gray, 16 way coupe

Because I was willing to remove the headliner [directions on Ronnies website] my cost was $60.00. Very easy to both remove the headliner [ visor,upper seatbelt bracket and clothes hooks need to be removed first] and then the fabric and glue residue. After the fabric is off, brush fabric residue/glue off with a scrub brush.

Reinstall is not difficult as the headliner is held in place by velcro and then of course the mounting brackets for the above mentioned items.

Out in 10-15 minutes, back in in about 25.

You can do it yourself for about $40.

Many fabric shops carry the foamed backed material. It runs $10-$12 a yard and I normally buy 1 1/2 yards. You also need a can of good adhesive...3M #77 works well.

As stated, it is a good DYI project. If you do gouge the backing fill it in with epoxy or it will be visible. When I did mine last time I fixed all the cracks and front corners with fiberglass. I also had my visors recovered with the same fabric. I sent them away and they came back perfect.

Guest crazytrain2

Jim,

I just fixed my headliner this week (Had same problem) Here is a link to a tutorial for doing a 98 Olds (which is same as my Park Ave)

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/olds/

I bought "Automotive Headliner Material" from JoAnn Fabrics - it has foam on back side, this is what you want. I used Permatex Headliner & Carpet Spray Adhesive which I got from Autozone for $10.99. Your other choice is 3M 76 (NOT 77!!!) which is another high temp spray adhesive but harder to find. I also just used duct tape for holding the edges on the unseen side.

Other than that follow the tutorial and fairly simple.

• 2 months later...
Guest Got a Reatta

Thanks to the great advice I got in response to my original post I wanted to follow up.

Yesterday I finally found a JoAnn's Fabric store and bought 1 1/2 yards of gray, foam-backed headliner material. The woman at the check out said several people come in to buy that materail for cars. They also had black in stock. I wasn't sure the gray would match but it looks very good with my gray interior on my 90 Reatta. The material was $14.95 a yard so with tax it came to about $23. I also bought a can of 3M 77 adhesive there for about $11 with tax. I could have bought the smaller can as I only used about 1/5th of it. When I got home I noticed on the can that it specifically didn't recommend it for fixing car headliners! I borrowed some adhesive from my brother but that didn't seem to work very well so I finished up the job with the 3M product. It seemed to stick great.

A couple of notes for those who may try this repair themselves. When I pulled the insert away from the velcro the velcro was so strong that it pulled out four of the five plastic insterts from the metal roof. I almost ruined the top when my brother pulled on one to separate it and the top material started ripping. We then took a knife and separated each of the plastic pieces from the velcro. We then super glued them back to the metal roof as we weren't sure they would hold otherwise.

One other point. Take the time to brush the loose glue from the headliner before glueing on the new fabric. That took longer than expected.

The whole project took about 1 1/2 hours to complete in my driveway. It looks great but it's only been one day so far. If any problems come up I'll pass them along at that time.

Finally, thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction on this. I think there are so many posts on the Reatta section because of the truely helpful comments and the quick responses. What a great bunch of people Reatta owners are!

Glad someone read the label on the 3M 77.... I will try something else next time.

I wrote an article for the Reatta newsletter about redoing the headliner and I added insulation. I used the bubble stuff that has foil on both sides. I attached it with silicone caulk...... here are pictures.

post-30596-143138096095_thumb.jpg

The material was $14.95 a yard so with tax it came to about $23.

Was the tax not a little high on the material?

Thanks for posting the information. It is very helpful. With a few more details and a couple of photos we would have a nice tutorial to add to my website.

Guest Richard D
Glad someone read the label on the 3M 77.... I will try something else next time.

I wrote an article for the Reatta newsletter about redoing the headliner and I added insulation. I used the bubble stuff that has foil on both sides. I attached it with silicone caulk...... here are pictures.

Barney that is a great idea, did you feel much of a difference in temprature or sound level? Here in Miami I would like to keep the black car as cool as possibe.

Thank's

Richard

Uhhh Ronnie he bought a yard and a half. So doing the math that would be right...

I was a coward the first time. I removed the headliner, went to the local sunroof guy and he charged me $50.00 to replace the headliner fabric and I reinstalled.

I also brushed mine to remove the old residue, before the sunroof guy got it...

Guest The Goggi

Be carefull not to apply too much pressure when applying the foam backed fabric to the shell. Spread it like you would be working out the wrinkles of a beadspread (maybe a little harder than that) I may have put too much glue and then rested my weight on my hand while reaching over the project ... hand print. The glue seeped through with the pressure of my hand and made a mark. It wasn't that noticable, but to me perfection was lost from an otherwise easy project

If you have experience, you can do a non-sunroof with 4 feet of material. Most places will sell it to you in increments of a yard.

When doing the sunroof, you need to wrap the material around the sunroof hole, meaning the cut-out material would be too small to cover the movable section. Since I don't have a sunroof car here to measure..... you probably need to buy 2 yards to be safe.