Crank Sensor location and replacement

Natureboy

Guest CL_Reatta

The Crankshaft position sensor is located behind the harmonic balancer. Basically it is best if you remove the the balancer, there have been a few that have been able to cut it out though

Guest CL_Reatta

You will need to get the big bold off the harmonic balancer, some use a breaker bar and crank the engine, or there is an adapter that dealers use to take it off. once off, you can see the sensor, use sockets or whatever to remove bolts, but new senor on and re-align using like a matchbox cover. Be careful not to damage the fins though... while your there, get a new serpentine belt if its due

Was under the car checking out the crankshaft sensor connector and noticed the oil level switch going to the oil pan is missing and the two wires were twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. Get's me to wondering what kind of person was working on the electrical system on this car and what other kind of shade tree mechanic crap was done to this car. If your not going to do it right the first time, then don't do it at all.

Guest jcc3inc

If your car is a '91 you will need a wheel puller to remove the crank pulley; I understand earlier models just slide off once the bolt is removed. I made up a puller from an aluminum plate I had and it worked OK. Be SURE to secure the sensor in place once you have it properly positioned. I didn't and it made a strange grinding sound when I started it!!!

Regards,

Jack C.

Natureboy,

Please include the year of your Reatta in your signature line. That way we are not continuously going back and scanning your post to see what model your Reatta is. It helps us to better help you.

To add to your signature line click: "My Stuff -> Profile" and scroll down the page to the signature box.

Thanks!

Guest Kitskaboodle

I had to replace mine when a rag got wrapped around the inside of the crankshaft pulley where the shutter wheel is. Bent tyhe sensor all to hell. frown.gif

Anyways, on my 90 I used a breaker bar and braced it against the frame and cranked the engine. Worked like a champ but it is kind of risky.

Autozone sells the crank sensor pretty cheap by the way.

Lastly, it's a good idea to turn the engine over (with a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt) a few times to ensure the crank sensor doesnt contact any of the shutter wheel fingers, ok?

Kit