New strange remote issue.

Guest Bugler

Guest Bugler

Most of the time my remote works great. I noticed this morning though that the remote would not work after I drove about 30 minutes. I got out of work and it worked again. After driving again about 30 minutes it stopped working. Went back out 2 hours later and it worked again.

What's the problem???

Guest CL_Reatta

Do you know when the last time you replaced the batery was? could just be that its a weak battery and its just so happening to not work like that

Guest Bugler

Yes I'll try the second one tomorrow when I go to work. It did it again this morning when I got to work. It worked when I left my house but not when I got to work.

Guest daveagain909

sounds like a bad battery or dirty contacts. try spraying contact cleaner on the contacts in the remote first, then if it does not work change battery. if that doesnt work (remember it is 20 years old) forget it and get a new faux one.

Guest daveagain909

Does any one have the plastic cover that holds the battery in the remote? If so I would like to buy one. my granddaughter lost mine.

Guest Bugler

I'll try cleaning it. But I still think it's strange it only doesn't work when I've driven a while.

Try this: First thing in the morning, hold the button down for a few seconds when you first use the remote. If the battery is bad it will drain the battery. If the remote will no longer unlock the car after holding the button down, replace the battery. I think the battery is bad and is building up enough overnight to let you use it once then it is drained again.

Another place to consider is a splice in the main harness routed under the passenger seat. The wires (at least in the '90) run from the receiver in a raceway and are spliced under the passenger seat in another lateral raceway to pick up the drivers' door and continue to the passenger door and thru connector C200 to the computors (this is the main harness). If there is any dampness water accumulates in this raceway and the splice eats itself up. Does your car leak? Check the floor under the passenger seat, see it the nuts that hold the seat track down have signs of rust. If so the raceway will have water in it.

But then, again it just might be gremlins too. I hope it is just a battery. oj