vehicle speed sensor

Guest sptfr43

Guest sptfr43

Does anyone know where to get a speed sensor for a 91? tried autozone, murrays no luck. dealer has to order and I really don't want to wait. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sptfr43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where to get a speed sensor for a 91? tried autozone, murrays no luck. dealer has to order and I really don't want to wait. Thanks </div></div>

NAPA

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Item#: DEMSS10533

Price: $65.49 tax and shipping not included.

513912.jpg

Guest sptfr43

ok, now for another question, I replaced the sensor because I was getting the vss code and the speedo still doesn't work ( shows 0 mph ) and the shifting is all out of whack. Is there anything else in the system that would cause this? I tried to locate the plug the wires lead to to check that but couldn't find it. I am starting to get tired of these computer cars now. Can't wait to get my spitfire mk1 back on the road!

Did the sensor eliminate the code? If not, I would suspect a wiring problem or a bad connection. It could be a bad connection where one of the plugs connects to the BCM. OR it could possibly be a defective BCM but that is not too likely.

Guest sptfr43

no it did not clear the codes and the ses light still comes on. the codes I am getting are ed17, 24, 31 and I think it says 41 but can't find that one listed. also b448 and b552 both history but don't know what those are for either

IMHO one should have a can of contact cleaner. Everytime one works on their car and unplug something give it a shot to clean it. Almost everything on these cars is electrical.

Also IMHO it is almost never the wiring. It is either the connection[check that first] or the component.

Guest sptfr43

is there anything inside the trans that could be at fault? I assume there is a magnet or some such thing that works the sensor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sptfr43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no it did not clear the codes and the ses light still comes on. the codes I am getting are ed17, 24, 31 and I think it says 41 but can't find that one listed. also b448 and b552 both history but don't know what those are for either </div></div>I would concentrate on the E031 (VSS) until you get it corrected and then move on to the others if they still exist. Sometimes correcting the problem that causes one code will clear the others. Check and clean all connections you can find related to the VSS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sptfr43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is there anything inside the trans that could be at fault? I assume there is a magnet or some such thing that works the sensor. </div></div>The '91 model has a computer controlled transmission. There are solenoids, switches and other electrical parts inside it. Before the transmission will shift properly the computer must have an input from the VSS. I would concentrate on getting it working properly. I don't believe anything electrical inside the transmission would keep the VSS from working.

The VSS sends a pulsed voltage to the computer. As long as the VSS is being turned by the transmission it should send pulses to the computer unless it is defective.

Just out of curiosity... does the Cruise control work?

Guest Greg Ross

Would suggest you access a service manual and do some reading. I have a EO24 code which reads as VSS Speed sensor failure but it's actually a PROM Programming issue where only the ECM is not seeing a VSS Signal. My BCM is getting the signal and therefore the Instrument cluster registers properly, getting it's data from the BCM. I assume the other codes you're getting are lack of VSS signal at the BCM.

Sounds more to me, at least in this case to be wiring or the plug right at the VSS sender.

All this circuit puts out is a pulse, so many pulses per mile, very basic. Based on my understanding you're getting absolutely no signal. Start with looking the wiring harness over from the tranny back towards the main harness. Look for bends, kinks, disturbed outer insulation.

About all I can think of without a manual for reference.

Guest sptfr43

no, when the speedo is out the cruise is also. The speedo does work for a few minutes in the a.m when I first start up but then it starts reading bad, like 65 when I know I am only going around 20 then drops to 0 and stays that way the rest of the day. where would I find the other connectors? I found where the wire bundle goes into the bulkhead but am leary of opening up that junction and having more problems. Thanks for all the help by the way.

Guest sptfr43

I have tried reading the manual but all this computer stuff makes my head spin. Funny, I can fix a $20 million jet but a new car makes a fool of me every time. Makes me love my Triumph more and more.

Guest Greg Ross

"I first start up but then it starts reading bad....

Ok, thats' sounding like something quite different and sounds like EMI or a heat issue. I don't suppose you have a spare BCM?

I agree the the FSM is pretty daunting, but if you spend enough time with it some things actually start to make sense. Ok, I've only been looking at it for 14 years!

EMI= Electro Magnetic Interference

Is really quite simple when you take is one circuit at a time. 91 FSM is downloadable from http://reatta.net/docs.html (must register).

Codes on page 6E3-A-1

17 - Spark Reference Ckt

24 - VSS page 6E3-A-55

31 - PRNDL Switch circuit

41 - Cam Sensor Circuit

Really need the FSM, would you work on an aircraft without a manual. They include troubleshooting information and scematics of just the circuit in question.

Unless the car has been very neglected, I would not expect all of these to be present at the same time. Look for a place where all of the wires for these items are in the same bundle or connector.

Guest sptfr43

I did download the fsm and went through as much of it as I could bear. I guess not knowing what parts are what and which are where is the thing that confuses me. For instance what and where is the bcm? It differs from the ecm and icm? If I had hair I would pull it out.

engine control module, body control module (dash, radio, HVAC). ignition control module.

Also electronic brake control module (ABS in trunk), anti-theft module, headlamp module, central power supply, cruise control, cathode ray tube controller.

These were very advanced systems for the 1980s, today all of this would be on a single chip but then the electronics filled every available space (and people wonder why it is heavy).

Guest sptfr43

been trying to read up on and understand the different systems and their operation for the last couple hours and still no closer to understanding. I guess my best bet would be to pay the dealer to figure this thing out. The mechanical parts are easy to envision and figure out but when it comes to electronic brains, forget it.Sorry if it seems as if I am asking you guys to troubleshoot my car for me, that's not the case. I just don't have the background it takes to get this stuff.

ED12 is the only displayable vaue. See 8D1-30 CODE EO24. VSS signal goes from VSS to BCM first and then to the ECM. But if only code e24 is set and not b124 then it is most likely either the BCM output, ECM input or wiring between them. (Never say never)

If code B124 is set then start there: BD2-26. Both have the diagnostic process to follow on the next page.

Not much more I can do remotely.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck with a dealer. Hope you have deep pockets. If there were a factory alternative do you think we would be here ? </div></div>

Perhaps that is a perk of living near a big city and knowing people. If I really hit a wall there are shade trees I know and also a shop that specializes in ses/abs/electronic problems.

I WOULD RECOMMEND TRYING SOMEONE OF THAT AREA BEFORE HITTING THE DEALER, IF POSSIBLE. IF I WERE IN THAT PICKLE, I SURELY WOULD. IF YOU KNOW NO ONE REPUTABLE, TRY CRAIGSLIST.ORG AND SEARCH FOR A WRENCH IN YOUR AREA OR ASK FREINDS/CO-WORKERS. UGH, WOULD I HATE TO EVER TAKE A CAR TO THE DEALER FOR ANYTHING.

sptfr43, BTW lovely year. If you completely fall out of love with that 91 let me know.