IAC

Guest Motu 56

Guest Motu 56

Would you clean a working IAC or would you wait for a problem? I am visiting my son that lives about 200 miles away and thought I should clean it.

Guest THEHKP7M13

If your cleaning that make sure you hit the throttle plate too. 3M sells an excellent product for this type of cleaning but I usually end up using carb cleaner (I am not sure how well this works out on a lot of these newer car with a teflon coating on the plates) due to the fact I have it sitting on my shelf. I bought the 3M stuff once though, because it was a late model FORD and it had the coating on the plate and the carb cleaner would have stripped it right off.

P.S. If doing the plate spray the cleaner on the rag and then on he plate. I try to allow the least amount of carb cleaner into the intake as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekvh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the concerns with carb cleaner in the intake? </div></div>Older types of carb cleaner are not O2 sensor friendly. I've heard it will screw them up but I have not had that to happen so I can't say for sure. Check the can for information on using with an O2 sensor before spraying on anything. I've heard some gasket sealers can hurt the O2 sensor also.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ekvh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the concerns with carb cleaner in the intake? </div></div>

I guess I am being overcautious in my directions. Because, I can just envision you dousing it with carb cleaner (just a bias off of some of the gearhead freinds I have and nothing person towards you) figuring that more is better. It isn't the case. Better is using what is needed to clean the IAC and plate with the least amount. You don't need it shooting down the intake is the major point I am trying to make.

Secondly, when cleaning the IAC be gentle with it. The pintel (I believe its the proper term- it has been a few years) is a dubable piece but can be damaged if your rought with it. Worse case scenario you end up buying a new IAC. I am not trying to scare you but people have complained about cleaning the IAC before and ended up replacing them. My theorey on that it that weren't gentle handling the cleaning or the IAC was on the way out anyway.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cool wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it ain't broke why fix it? </div></div>

I cannot take the path with my vehicle ownership. All my fluids are changed yearly, with a keen eye always paid to the temp gauge making sure the themostat isn't getting lazy and to the brakes making sure everything is in proper adjustment (brake hoses about once every 10 years). Making sure all hinges, key tumblers, etc. are lubricated. So on and so forth. Cars run better and last longer if you are vigilant on them and niop little problems in the butt before they become big problems and the car turns into a piece of junk and then you don't want to do anything to it, much less be seen in it.