Engine Number Identification

Guest Kiwiolds

Guest Kiwiolds

Hi, I would like some help to identify the engine number on my 1962 Dynamic 88 holiday sedan. All the body numbers and chassis numbers match for a 1962 holiday sedan. But the engine has a Prefix of "F" along with a Suffix of "L" and the number is in a series for a 1961 car.

The number is F12304L

The 1962 Service manual has the 88 (Ppt. W4) car starting units should be in the 3000,001 range, This number is to low

And the 1961 manual shows engine numbers are in the right range (001001) but ther should not be a suffix of "L"

Can anyone help Regards Scott

What you have is the "low compression" version of the 1962 394. It was an option that year. Theory was the gas economy minded buyer would purchase it. It puts out 260 h.p., as opposed to the standard 280 h.p. engine.

Guest Kiwiolds

Thanks for that. Are you saying that there are engine numbers that don't follow along with the stated number range in the service manuals. This is definatly the original motor. Thanks for the help, great to have contacts as it's a long way from USA to New Zealand

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kiwiolds

Sorry guys, have had computer problems. No this car was purchased in Klamath Falls, Oregan. Two Lady owners ( Yes that is correct, not the classic cliche) It has been shipped to NZ as is. The Suffix of L is definatly correct. Maybe you could help me with the lattest qustion that I have just posted. Regards Scott KIWIOLDS