2 step start and fast idle

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

One of my 91 coupes acts up once in awile. Starts good cold but will only start on second try when hot. Also it will idle fast once in awile but will idle perfectly if turned off and restarted immidiatly. Any guesses?

I'm having a close match to that. '87 LesSabre stalls with no reason, and doesn't always restart. I found it was the MAF sensor. I changed it but now it doesn't come off hi idle

until it is totally warmed up and then shut off and restarted. This maybe a place to look.

Guest THEHKP7M13

I am shocked no on echimed in. I am going to throw the guess of crank and cam sensors. I would start with cam though.

Just my humble .02 cents though.

Guest Mike_s

Looks like a typo to me, "on echimed" should probably read "one chimed", the "e" and "space" were transposed.

I read it as "I am shocked no one chimed in"

Guest halofaller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steveskyhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of my 91 coupes acts up once in awile. Starts good cold but will only start on second try when hot. Also it will idle fast once in awile but will idle perfectly if turned off and restarted immidiatly. Any guesses? </div></div>

I too am trying to track this monster down. Fast idle but smooth. Turn it off and back on and a smooth idle at the correct speed. It isn't the MAF, the EGR, a leaking injector, the cam sensor or most other issues. Maddening. New air filter.

One more try on the idle control and maybe the tps? No codes thrown either. No matter what the idle speed is, it is super steady and smooth.

If I figure it out I'll run up the fix here and it might work for you.

May need to take a snapshot of the fast idle and the normal idle particularly the IAC command value: ED22 and ED04 coolant sensor. First we need to know whether or not the fast idle is being commanded.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike_s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a typo to me, "on echimed" should probably read "one chimed", the "e" and "space" were transposed.

I read it as "I am shocked no one chimed in"

</div></div>

My bad. I will let it stand for the sake of your quote.