FS '62 Buick Skylark 2dr hardtop - sell/trade - or will crush :(

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Restorable 1962 Buick Skylark 2dr hardtop (no post). This car needs total restoration and has no engine or transmission. Was originally a 215 V8 car with automatic. Has padded dash option, as well as clock option and power steering. Engine was carefully removed - nothing was hacked up. Also all wiring under dash is nice and original. Interior needs total restoration. Has some rust through on the lower passenger quarter panel and door, but most all other rust is surface rust. Also has original hubcaps.

No title, it has been misplaced, but most cars this old, you can easily obtain a title from some company in AL I am told and some states dont even require this on cars older than 1975 I am told.

Will sell for $500 :dollar: or will trade for a restorable 1971, 1972 or 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille or Fleetwood, 1971-78 Ford Country Squire wagon, 1971-73 Buick Electra 4dr, or a automatic Toyota truck.

Car is in northeast Tennessee. More details and photos on request. Help save this car from the jaws of the crusher!

These photos were taken in February...

100_7794.jpg

100_7785.jpg

100_7784.jpg

100_7790.jpg

100_7781.jpg

100_7782.jpg

100_7787.jpg

Guest Shaffer

Unfortunately, the jaws of the crusher are drawing near. We cannot allow this car to set much longer, so if you know of anyone interested in it for $500 (or trade - for 71-73 Cadillac, Buick Electra or Toyota truck), let me know. If not sold soon, we will sell the clock to the gent that wants it for $200 and the rest of the car will be crushed at a local salvage yard. Who knows, maybe thats the best place for it, but it would be a neat car when restored.

Obviously these are no longer collectible cars? They were $$$$ a few years ago, unless its where the economy is so bad now no one wants to spend money on a project?

Thanks.

Shaffer

A better strategy woul dbe parting out what is remaining that can be used on other cars then crushing it.

I have noticed that quite a few of these remain 61-62. On CraigsList I oftern find 4-5 in about 30 minutes.

Like all niche cars they have a following. A following is not enough to create demand. They are not indemand - mostly as a result of cost to restore.

Years ago they were a cute boutique car - one a collector might buy after they had fleshed out their primary car collection - and through $3000 into it and call it good. But this one has no motor if I understand - and has noticeable rust - it could easily gobble up $10,000 or more.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaffer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously these are no longer collectible cars? They were $$$$ a few years ago, unless its where the economy is so bad now no one wants to spend money on a project? </div></div>

It isn't that they aren't collectible nor desirable. For me, aside from the fact that the barn is full, the cost of retrieving it from TN would be huge relative to the purchase cost. I'd love to have it for what it is, but I'm already upside down in my '62 Special convertible.

I certainly do understand the need to move cars like this occasionally, and I appreciate the effort you have gone to in an attempt to save it.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we will probably have to end up parting it out and crush the rest. A shame, since it is a restorable car. I know money is tight and it would cost alot to restore this car. Its a sad story, a the car was a nice car about 15 years ago and the owner removed the engine/transmission for a '62 convertible he had and let this car set, hence the deterioration. I feel that it setting like this for 2 or 3 more years, it would not be worth restoring, which I why we need to sell it now. I know the lack of engine/transmission hurts too, but I am sure some other sort of engine could be installed in it.

I was hoping someone with a 71-73 Cadillac or Electra in only "fair" shape, or even the condition of this car may have one they would like to trade for this car and there may be someone out there that would love to have this over a 71-73 Cadillac or Electra, but its like finding a needle in a haystack. wink.gif

Guest Shaffer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barry buick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">o no please don`t crush it! i can use almost everything on that car, like the windshield , and when i brought my buick skylark the orginal seats where missing, boy you even have all the buick letters, </div></div>

Bring me a restorable 71-73 Electra 4dr or a 71-73 Cadillac 4dr or 500 $1. bills and its all yours. smile.gif

I am going to get new and updated photos tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in the car, and is concerned that the motor/trans is missing, I have 2 1963 Specials that both have 215 V8's in them, one a 3 speed and one a 4 speed. One is a convertible and the other a 2 door post car, $2000 for the pair, in St. Louis, thanks, Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Yep and have had it on there for about 4 weeks now. Seems no one wants a car with a misplaced title, despite the fact one can be obtained for a car this old and some states dont even require them on cars older than 1975. One person and I quote said, "I would laugh at you if I came to look at that car and you wanted $500 for it without a title", which I thought was kinda rude. Heck, we have been offered $200 just for the clock on the dash, so parting it out may have to be an option, then crush the rest, or it will set there until it sinks into the ground.

There have been a few locally interested in it as well, but nothing panned out yet.

I really would like to trade it for a #4 71-73 Cadillac DeVille 4dr or Buick Electra - nothing nice, just something driveable and restorable.

Thanks for the suggestion though. smile.gif