2009 Spring Extravaganza

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

What a show. I'm bushed. I had company on Friday, so got to bed about midnight, so I couldn't get my fat butt out of bed. Finally hit the road at 9:00 a.m. No significant issues on the road...got to the hotel around quarter after 5. It's a good thing I had the GPS receiver along, because the speedo reads low. I've pretty much got it figured out now. Based on the mile markers on the highway, the odometer reads about 10% low too...I'm guessing that the big tires are what is throwing that off.

Anyway, met up with Kris and she helped me get the dust and bugs off Spirit, then it was off to Famous Dave's where a few others were waiting for us...mmm...I love that place...I wonder if I could franchise one up here.... We chatted until it was dark, then I we went our separate ways. I didn't sleep worth two hoots...not sure if it was just the bed, lack of The Boss in the bed, or anticipation of the following day, but I kept looking at the clock hoping that it was at least an hour or two later than the previous time I looked at it. I finally gave up, got up, and got ready...I was on site about 7:30 or so. I worked my two hour shift (I'm sure it was the easiest one around), then headed off to the swap meet. It's a good swap meet, and big, but Tom kept driving the aisles in the golf cart looking for '59 stuff...I was just looking for anything useful, keeping in mind I didn't have the truck to haul stuff home. In the end, I found some great deals on ads from magazines (compared to eBay prices, I was a thief). I know the logistics would be almost impossible, in part because swappers often have multiple makes, but I'd certainly be happier if there were a Buick corner...I'd spend a lot less time walking around aimlessly.

There were some deals to be had though...there were some small series '56 front fenders. I straight '56 bumper needing chrome was priced at $15 (if I'd had the truck, it would be mine...either easier to sell a car with a straight bumper or could more than make my money back since someone would need it someday. Someone got a good deal on a project '57 Estate Wagon...the seller could have gotten more, but he'd come from SD and didn't want to take it back. There was a '49 project, a '23 - didn't look like much more than a shell for $6500...ouch, running '68 Wildcat coupe, a 'big '69 coupe...I may be missing something, but can't come up with it right now.

I have some mixed emotions - I only spent a few minutes in the car corral, and that was because there was a '76 Free Spirit there...how often do you see two in the same place? Anyway, he had no bites...he was looking for offers, but said he had it insured for about 3 times what I have into mine. Granted, it looks nicer too, but I couldn't do that deal if I had the space. I did manage to chat with the owner as he was leaving - he owned the car since '79 and gave me a contact for the shop that did the graphics for his car - they used his originals to copy from. Apart from that, there was a nice looking '55 hardtop that I could see from my parking duty...that was the extent of my time in the car corral...probably a good thing it was so short.

I'll just take a step back...it was a beautiful day - I don't know what the temperature eventually wound up at, but mid to high 60s was predicted. There was some wind at times, and some relatively thin cloud, but overall, it was a beautiful spring day.

Apparently, on top of the pre-registered cars, the Gopher State Chapter Registration Volunteers went through 500 blank window cards. There had to have been about a hundred Buicks (considerably more than when I was last at this show two years ago).

I had some lunch, I spent some time chatting with a few owners of cars of interest - Bruce has a modified '61 Invicta convertible, there was a '29-44 (like Bill McLaughlin's from the April Bugle), and a red '54...I'm not going to say more at this point - Lamar knows he needs to get his drool bib now. By the time I got through chatting with some of the owners and going through the Buicks quickly (compared to the amount of time I'd like to have taken), some were already leaving...oh well.

After the awards were handed out, I hung around and helped clean up a bit - what was I to do but go and hang out in the hotel room anyway. After we were done, a few others joined me in going out for supper. It was nice to share another meal with some other folks I don't get to talk to all that much. There were a few laughs shared, lessons learned, and many more bad puns.

Since I was dusty and sweaty, a shower was in order, then get organized for coming home today. I took it easy...leaving the hotel around 7:15, I got home around 5 after a detour to try to find a particular battery.

I'm sure you're all just waiting for me to finish blathering so you can see some photos.

This is the pace car that was for sale.

FreeSpiritSale26.jpg

Cleanup in Athens....

5476Cpassenger39.jpg

I don't know whether or not this piece is stock, but it's kind of neat.

20090503GNXunderhood65.jpg

Some go fast cars...a lovely young blonde was driving another GN that isn't in this photo....

20090503GNs67.jpg

20090503GSX64.jpg

One of at least four '61s. This one is a LeSabre with a nice GS in the background.

20090503LeSabre57.jpg

A pair of B-59s

20090503LeSabre5949.jpg

20090503Rollie5959.jpg

This 1940 Special is for sale at what is at first glance a reasonable price - I have the information if anyone wants it in e-mail.

20090503Special4048.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

I assume we still have the 10 photo limit, so here's some more.

I chatted with the owner of this '41 Super convertible - he also has a model 41 (I don't recall if it was an SE or not).

20090503Super41conv61.jpg

Of course, we can't remember the kitty cats...this one from '63.

20090503Wildcat6342.jpg

The '29 Model 44 - it was running when I came up to it, so I shot some video so I could have the sound of a running big 6 whenever I want, although I haven't checked it out yet.

20090503_2944_11.jpg

Nice 1934 coupe.

20090503_34coupe68.jpg

I think this is a '23, but I don't have a reference and my foggy memory fails me.

20090503twenties46.jpg

This '55 Roadmaster was on the ride home in northern Minnesota...I've been by it a few times, the first in 2006 when we went to Rochester.

20090504Plummer557272.jpg

Same yard, different '55.

20090504Plummer5574.jpg

Pointed home....

20090504SpiritRoad75.jpg

Rapidly approaching bed time....

Guest imported_MrEarl

Looks like a great show and I'm sure you were thrilled to have been there. Thanks for the report and excellent pictures. God, isn't that a beautiful Roadmaster convertible.

Guest imported_Thriller

I'd meant to continue with some typing, but got called for the troublemaker's bedtime routine.

Spirit ran relatively well, although there are issues. Idle is rough to the point of stalling. If I touch the gas just a smidge, it smooths out and remains running, so I think we'll be adjusting idle a bit. On starting, there's a fair amount of smoke...I would say it looked white as in coolant, but smells like oil. The dipstick is nice and clean...something else to be looked at. This afternoon, as the sun came around and started shining on me, I would have to say the A/C is inadequate - it's quite a bit cooler than the vent, but I also think the fan is suspect. There's always something. Of course, there are leaks as well to be addressed.

This was the 22nd year for this show in St. Paul, MN. It is well run and my hat is off to all the volunteers (and I don't mean me...I mean the committee and those who play a considerably larger role). I just took one two hour shift and it seemed like there wasn't enough day to go around.

I had a good time...early May is not a time that I have sun block on my mind though...going to have to remember that next time. Mind you, I do hope next time I drive down, I'm not forced to choose a road due to flooding. With this car, Interstate speeds would have been fine, and I would have spent less time on the road then. Four hundred odd miles is a bit far to go for a one day show, but it's fun. I really do need to go with someone again next time though as it helps to pass the time.

Guest BJM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ran relatively well, although there are issues. Idle is rough to the point of stalling. If I touch the gas just a smidge, it smooths out and remains running, so I think we'll be adjusting idle a bit. On starting, there's a fair amount of smoke...I would say it looked white as in coolant, but smells like oil. </div></div>

Sounds to me like a vacuum leak perhaps caused by dried out gaskets, base gasket to manifold or similar carb/manifold sourced vacuum leak...just an educated guess

Looks like you had better weather for your show than Rhinebeck NY had on Sunday. I left the 15 Buick in the shed as it was 40 degrees in the morning and cloudy most of the day. Just could not get myself to drive it without the sunshine to warm up the cold and damp morning air. I decided to take a ride to Kent, Connecticut to pick up a Waukashaw engine block and some other parts that need some machine work for a 1930 Universal Power Shovel instead, and attend the Pig Roast at the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association Grounds. It started to rain in the afternoon in Kent. Did it also rain at Rhinebeck? As the crow flies, they are not that far apart. Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know whether or not this piece is stock, but it's kind of neat.

20090503GNXunderhood65.jpg

</div></div>

That is stock on the GNX. It's 1 of serveral interesting parts on those cars, like the ceramic turbo underneath it. The blueprinted engine from the factory. The fender flares and return of portholes for 1987. Underneath, it has a special rear-end with a panhard rod setup. Nice additions to 547 special cars that year, including each one numbered on the dashboard.

Hey, Derek;

Thanks for driving down and thanks for the kind words about our show. We never get an exact count because people pay at the gate and never come to the registration tent. We had approximately 722 show cars registered, of which 160 were Buicks! I believe that 160 is a record!

Jim Boelter - Ballot Counting Chair

Guest imported_Thriller

Right on...now Mr. Ewing is really going to be annoyed he brushed me off grin.gif

I worked out some numbers today and was pleasantly surprised. Of the tanks I was able to calculate, I went from a low of 18 mpg (which included city driving) to a high of 24 mpg on this trip. Considering the engine has gone from its original 2-bbl configuration to 4-bbl and has been warmed up in other respects, I'm a bit surprised. I can take surprises like that.

Guest 53Nailhead

Nice job Derek, looks like a good show. I went straight to the Pixs wink.gif don't know why you'd think any of us can read & retain.... All kidding aside, good to hear ya got back home without any major problems. That 54's a 'Beauty'!!

Guest Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a good swap meet, and big, but Tom kept driving the aisles in the golf cart looking for '59 stuff. </div></div>

Derek, this was supposed to be our little secret. As far as everyone else was concerned, I was working. wink.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Hardly a secret when the chair of the BCA BoD is your passenger grin.gifwink.gif

As hard as everyone works to pull this show off, a little goofing off is not only expected, it should almost be required...right down to the hecklers at the awards presentation whistle.gifcrazy.gifblush.gif

I might have done a better job keeping the secret if you had offered me a ride though....

Guest imported_Thriller

I couldn't even try to see that many cars. I saw the professional cars (seeing as I was helping park them...cream puff job) - I liked the His & Hers Cadillac ambulances. I didn't really get a good look at all the Buicks as some left before I got a chance.

I have some photos of Buick projects for sale in the swap meet. I didn't bother with the '57 Estate Wagon as the seller was motivated and it was sold by the time I got there. There was a running '68 Wildcat for $1650, a '69 full size for $8xx, a '49 (Super if I remember correctly), and a pre-war pile o' parts (for over six grand) - it was an open car - '23 if I remember correctly, but I really don't think worth the asking price. If all goes well, I'll upload the photos tonight.

Guest ewing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right on...now Mr. Ewing is really going to be annoyed he brushed me off grin.gif

</div></div>

Work keep getting in the way... But I have found if I stop showing up, they stop sending a pay check to my Bank. And my accountant (Carol)wouldn't like that. This is still a subject of negotiation with her.

Oh Well, more pictures would be nice.

Hey Derek, I found an original 59 2 dr ht ( bubble top), very clean. Maybe theres a new 59 in my future. I think it is a LeSabre from the picture I have. More details to follow> I may need your expert advise on this deal( not in the price, but where to hide it from Carol).

btw, check out my new BCA #. Oh yea I'm a member again....Gee, this guy must be old!

Guest Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No wonder we had cars parking willy-nilly. The co-chair of parking was goofing off. Thanks for confirming what several of us had suspected, Derek </div></div>

Jim, just remember that I learned everything I know from the previous co-chair of parking. Remember who that was? Oh right, I think it was you. grin.gifwink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Derek, I found an original 59 2 dr ht ( bubble top), very clean. Maybe theres a new 59 in my future. I think it is a LeSabre from the picture I have. More details to follow> I may need your expert advise on this deal( not in the price, but where to hide it from Carol).

</div></div>

Ok John, you need to come clean on this '59. Inquiring minds want to know. Maybe you should give it a pass and that way you won't have to worry about where to hide it. I'm sure I could find a place for it. smile.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

So, are you implying you found a buyer for the '63 on Sunday? grin.gif

It's a beautiful car, but I just can't do it.

John, when are we going to take a look? It better not be the one I have dibs on...Joseph would never forgive you if you wound up with it without ever having a chance.

Guest ewing

have no fear, this is a 'new' find.

I have little other info on it other than it is owned by the nephew of the original owner. And the nephew is about 74 now.

he has started it up after 13 years and it apparently runs like a top. Not sure about the fuel issues.

I have little other info other than it may be available as he is getting the suggestion from his good wife that it is time to think about selling.[ She may not know, but apparently he has his eye on another car, non Buick,if he sells it]