1917 DB delco distributor condenser

Guest doberman

Guest doberman

this distributor dont have a condenser in it or on it that I can find .can anyone HELP please.

The '17 Book of Info does not show a condensor. My neighbor's '17 has a Delco dist., but does not have the correct ignition switch, just an on-off Clum like later DBs. And it has a condensor hanging on the side connected to the coil. The REAL '17 switch works differant then normal, might be the reason for no condensor? You have to rememebr point style ignition was fairly new in 1917, they may not have had condensors. I would recommend you ask RAH, Rodger Hartley, about this. IF IT WERE MINE, I would add a condensor on the outside connect it to the coil, like my neighbor's. If it starts and runs I'd leave it, if not I'd remove it. Any one will do. A condensor saves point life, the last NOS set of Delco points I saw was over $100.

Guest doberman

Thank you very much for this info

I dont think mine has the right switch ether so Ill

put one on and see what happens.

Thanks again nearchoclatetown.

Guest doberman

I took this distributor apart as far down as I could and did not find any thing that even looked like a condenser.

Prety sure there is not one inside there.I hate to take it back apart but I thought as growing up working on 50 & 60

models there should be one somewhere.havent completed this

restoration but the engine will idle and I dont want to burn up the points.And it does the clum on off switch in it.

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONES HELP

Alan Cooke

Guest doberman

HAY GUYS

YOUR WRIGHT THE CONDENSER IS IN THE COIL.

I CUT THE WIRES TO IT AND PUT AN EXTURNAL ON AND THIS TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM.

THANK TO ALL FOR THE GREAT HELP

ON TO THE NEXT PROBLEM

ALAN COOKE