PennDot and "TR" Registration

Brad_Gates

I can't seem to convince the nice people at Penn Dot that my 1946 Jeep did not have a top and the "TR" type on the title stands for "Touring" and NOT "Truck" or "Trailer". Now the notary wants me to take pictures of the vehicle to prove?? And the Penn Dot people claim there is NO open touring classification. So how did "TR" get on the title in the first place?

Anyone else in PA run into this problem?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Regards,

BRAD

I'm assuming you're after a antique plate as well.

Three years ago when I titled my '24 four door touring, the nice young lady at the counter told me the same thing. She insisted that my title would be marked SDN (sedan). There was no "Touring" listed in her book. So I asked her, Shouldn't it be marked Conv (convertible) then, instead of Sedan? All I got back was a blank stare. Had that been the only problem there that day, I would have pushed the issue just for the heck of it. But, I just wanted out of there. Remind them that their abbreviation for truck is TK and trailers are TRL. Least that is how all of mine are listed.

I would find some sort of written proof that shows that a 1946 Jeep came in basic form without a folding canvas top and give them that. Personally, I thought they all had one though. And you must submit photos of the vehicle to them anyways.

Hey, guys, the people at PaDOT don't know cars!! Imagine that!! Since the AACA headquarters is in Pa. (just 12 miles, or so down the road from PaDOT perhaps our leadership and libray should/could educate the folks at PaDOT. TRY to remember that these ARE NOT CAR PEOPLE, they're simply doing the boring as all hell job that they were hired to do, because they did not get out there for something better. I always take 'a deep breath and count to a billion before walking up to a PaDOT counter representative. It works for me........ And a 'smile, and a how are you today?' always helps ease the potential hassle. These people are simply trying to do their job. It may not be to our satisfation, so maybe we (the AACA) ought to help them out. Imagine that, 'Offering To Help Someone Out????' FAR-OUT............... just semi_intelligent, on some days.

• 2 weeks later...

up untill they change the jeep cj to the wrangler any one with a soft top had TR on the reg. and that is what we put in the inspection Book at time of state inspection. When it went to the wrwngler name they then use sdn on the reg, and still do today weather it is a 4dr or 2dr soft top or hard top every once in awhile will see one titled as a conv.