Reatta Headlight Switch

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

After almost 20 years of enjoyment, my wife gave her 90 Reatta to our Grand Daughter. The headlight switch broke within the first week and she does not have $500 to buy a new one. She uses the car as a daily driver and is now limited to daylight hours. Does anyone know of a fix using a toggle or other type of switch so that she could drive it at night? Thanks for any help!

Guest Bugler

Use twilight sentinel? Mine is broke too and I use that. I just won one on eBay for $15. Check there. There are usually used ones for 91-92 riv's too for under $50

Guest Bugler

*cough* my bad. That would be for 91 reatta. Try eBay anyway! Jim too. He had a hard to find part I needed yesterday.

One reason 1990 Reatta headlight switches are expensive...they are a 1990 only item. In 1991 twilight sentinal was added, the fog light switch moved from the headlight switch to the front of the console.

Jim Finn might have good ones available.

Jim might also be able to answer if Riviera headlight switches will work....the standard Riviera headlight switch did not have twilight sentinal or the fog light switch, but if the connector is the same that could be a solution.

I never use my fog lights, so if the switch went away it would not be a big issue.

Jim could also answer the question if a Riviera WITH twitlight sentinal would work (plug in) the twiglight part probably will not work and you would not be able to turn on the fog lights.

Guest Bugler

The riv with twilight seems to be the right part for the 91. At least I hope so. That's the one I just bought.

Guest Greg Ross

A side question. In our northern latitudes some provinces restrict "new" drivers initially to daytime hours and a limit of one passenger.

Any chance your grand daughter needs to build up some day time experience, if you know what I mean....

Guest jcc3inc

Just a possibility, can it be repaired?? Almost anything can be repaired with enough effort.

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest CL_Reatta

I got a brand new switch for my 90 From Rock Auto, price was about $130 delivered, with overnight shipping (broke 2 days before my 16th birthday, nothing was going to stop me from taking the reatta out for that day)

Guest MauiWowee

One fairly common factor when '90-'91 headlight switches break is that they have been pushed at a spot other than where the "bumps" are on the switch face. They are Braille for "Push Here". cool.gif

From the standpoint of the instrument panel, the 88-89 and 90-91 are really two different cars. All of the same functions are there, just in different places and I cannot think of anything other than the rear view mirror that would interchange. Glove box was the same 89-91.

Personally, I much prefer the readability of 88-89 but is the last of the "squareness" of the '80s, 90-91 foreshadowed the curves of the rest of the century.

So the real answer is to have one of each. grin.gif

Guest jamhudson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL_Reatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a brand new switch for my 90 From Rock Auto, price was about $130 delivered, with overnight shipping (broke 2 days before my 16th birthday, nothing was going to stop me from taking the reatta out for that day) </div></div>

Got mine there. All the other's I got were no good. Repaired ones for sure.

88 was the only year that did not have the lock/catch in front. That is why I am putting an 88 in my 90 and going to use a 91 console with a mc switch to open, get so tired of having to lock/unlock every time I park with the top down.

Have all the big pieces, just need to add the trunk/gas buttons.

BTW is there a repo striker piece for an 88 available, every one I have seen is broken (probably from a clown using a prybar to open it). May need to make one from aluminum.

post-31022-143138070999_thumb.jpg

Guest Kitskaboodle

Speaking of repairing headlight switches, I have run across 3 or 4 1990 headlight switches in local junkyards THAT I PASSED ON because of the same issue: missing slide switch (for the dome light) Does anyone know where I can get just the slide switch?

Kit

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Do you have a current E-Mail address for Jum Finn? My E-Mail to JFinn@CPinternet came back as un-deliverable.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TwoDoorBuickMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a current E-Mail address for Jum Finn? My E-Mail to JFinn@CPinternet came back as un-deliverable.

Thanks! </div></div>Try it without using capital letters: jfinn@cpinternet.com Be sure to include the .com. That is the right address

Yes, the same thing on my 90 Reatta. What you do is take the headlight switch out of the instrument panel. the switch plugs in. On the red terminal plugin the top four holes control the headlight and tail lights. The top one is power, second is headlights, third & fourth tail lights. Use #18 wire 4 wires about 4inches long, strip the ends put one end of each wire in a wire nut, twist and tape. insert 3 of four wires in the red plugin positions 2,3,4 leave in there. When you want the lights on plugin the remaining wire at the # 1 position, which is the power. Remove the power wire when parked or daylight.

It works for me untill I find a new switch cheap. Good luck!!

Naples Guy