What year model T?

Guest mercman86

Guest mercman86

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what year model T my Great Grandparents owned. The photos are dated 1926.Not sure if the car is a '26. All help is appreciated and thanks for looking!

19261.jpg

1926.jpg

The T is probably 1921 or 1922. In 1923 the radiator had an apron below it. The car in the picture shows clearly the lack of radiator apron and the early type of front spring hanger. The top also helps to pin it down. The car in the photo shows the earlier style top without the gypsy wings on the side rear, and also shows the top held to the windshield frame with straps. The rear window pattern is 1922-25. The demountable rims were optional beginning in 1920, although they could have been a later addition on this particular vehicle. I note the side lamps were removed on this car also.

One rather curious item on the car in the picture is the windshield top half. It seems to have rounded corners, which would make it 1916 or early 17.

The picture certainly could have been taken in 1926 but I believe the car is earlier and may have had a few things changed on it by the time the picture was taken.

Wish I had my reference books handy!

Terry

It's difficult to say exactly what year the car is. While the wheels are demountable, they are 5-bolt wheels not 4. This means they were after-market, maybe Stanweld, surely not Ford. The side lamp brackets would indicate a non-starter car placing it, most likely, before 1920, although non-starter cars could be purchased after that date. The round corners on the windshield top were the same from 1917-1922. The top could be a replacement top that was ordered from the dealer, in which case, the customer would have received the curtain pattern in the year the replacement top was ordered. Got all that???? Now for my guess as to the year, The wheels tell the story. After demountable wheels were offered by Ford, the after market wheel market fell away. My guess is a 1917-1919 car with a replacement top and Stanweld or Firestone wheels.

Frank

Guest mercman86

Terry and Frank:

I appreciate all the help on the car! Its interesting to know some of the details that i never noticed before such as the curved windshield or that the side lights were missing! Thanks again!

Alex

The side lamps are removed but the lower windsheild mounts have the ears to attach them. Just found out yesterday at the Rhinebeck swap meet that Ford made the lower brackets with and without the ears. It has the early forged running board brackets, the truss rod is visable underneith. I'll second Frank's 1917-19 dating.

The oval cross section top sockets were last used in 1917. The sidelamp brackets that stick out in a simple tab and the riveted to those brackets windshield are 1915-16 features. I suspect that by the time this picture was taken many parts had been replaced and updated. The front end is a good example being indeed 1919 and later. This car could have started as an early 1917 with some leftover 1916 features or it may be originally a brass radiator 1915-16 that has had updated fenders, hood and radiator. May have been wrecked in front and easiest rebuild is replacement.