1960 Buick Invicta Custom station wagon with bucket seats

61-63

A friend has asked me to list this car for him; his name and number are provided below. There was quite a thread on this car starting about a year ago when he first acquired it, but at that time he did not have a clear title for the car. He now has a clear title.

This is a complete, original, 1960 Invicta Custom station wagon with the factory hard back bucket seats and console. It is definitely restorable. Persons with interest in buying the car or who have additional questions about the car need to call the current owner, Todd Zimmerman, cell phone #920-889-0895 or home #920-526-3454.

Guest BJM

$10,000 was the price for that car with a statement that the bucket seats were worth $5,000 by themselves.

Guest BJM

I was just pointing out the "things that make you go hhhmmmm" about the price.

Sure a 60 Invicta wagon w buckets is "pretty cool" but $10,000 should buy a person a whole lotta 1960 Buick. I would rather have a nicer bench seat 60 invivta wagon for $10,000 rather then a $10,000 Invicta wagon with $5,000 bucket seats.

Hello this is TODD. I located this car took Greg to it in march of 08. If it were not for me he would know nothing about the 60 wagon... In june of 08 I was back in the area of the 60 wagon. YOU do the math with me march(part) april may june(part).I'm near 700 miles from home. I buy this car. And Greg is all mad. Tells me he was working on buying the car. I asked WHO was he in contact with? I don't know. Greg said he sent a camera to them. I said Who did you send it to? "I don't know". where is the camera Greg? "I don't know". I called and checked his laim story. NO contact NO camera. I watched him buy POSI oldsmobile rear end for $150 and sell for $960 What is that margin? I bought him an NOS buick mirror for $15 at a swap meet(Pontiac Tri-power Nats. Norwalk OH. He sold for over $125 Margin? I'm a guy that gets out and makes it happen. He had had ample time to grab hold (make it happen). YOU need more info feel free to call. I will not waste any more of my time here on this matter. I have many better thing to do every day. Todd Zimmermann (920)526-3454

Guest BJM

It's too bad when this happens. It's the dark side of the hobby, trying to make money on cars and parts at the expense of the friendships made.

That is one reason I don't dabble in rare parts. There are enough cool cars out there that aren't 1 of 1 or such.

Hope you guys can set it aside. I know Greg delivered a car for me and I am thankful of that move.

Guest Tri-shield

Well Gents & Todd,

Couple of issues I'll address here:

1) I've been waiting for Todd to produce a pic of the vin and data tag and title since last August. I don't buy anything w/o verification, does anyone else? After several conversations and e-mails with Todd I felt we had an agreement to move forward with the sale & purchase. Interesting... Well, Todd, I'd like to hear from you.

2) About the 5 grand metal back bucket seats: After a conversation with me, Todd now understands 5 grand for buckets seats happens ONLY when the seats are genuine original PONTIAC, one year only PONTIAC (1961), and in DAMN superb factory original condition, with attachment brackets included. I owned those seats and they were absolutely exceptional. Although at first glance all metal backs appear to be the same, this is not the case and the Pontiac version is unique. No other GM brand metal back buckets will EVER sell for anywhere near that figure. Speculators with metal back bucket seat Buick/Olds/Cadillac versions - forget 5 grand for your seats; you are dreamers, especially if the seats are rusty & crusty. I don't know who wants those seats; the knowledgeable Pontiac guys certainly don't.

So... I still got CASH smoldering in my pocket for that old wagon... How 'bout it Todd?

Eric you are not the only one who has sold a set of those seats for $5000 I personally know of several sets that have gone for that price. It is also not true that only Pontiac people will pay that price; Cadillac folks will too (and maybe Buick and Olds people if you find the right buyer who really wants his Starfire or Invicta to be as it was). And finally all of those seats, '59, '60, and '61 are identical except for the stainless trim ring around the back cove that

Cadillacs and Oldsmobiles (I think it was the Olds) had, and those holes can be easily filled in if the seats are going to be used on a Pontiac or Buick. It is the bracketry between the seat and the floor which differed due to the differences in the floors. As you probably know the passenger seat in the Pontiac was hard mounted while some or all of the others were adjustable.

It IS true that a rusty/crusty set will not bring $5000.

Guest Tri-shield

Hi John,

You are glossing over some expensive seat differences here, and by doing so you are misleading our readers. Perhaps this was not your intent. We've spoken before on the phone and you hit me as a stand-up gent. We agree Pontiac seats are unique and you know this because you are a serious Pontiac guy. Kindly allow me: Buick seats are sorta close to Olds & Cadillac. But do not state these seats are all the same as Pontiac - with just a few minor differences. Maybe minor to the seat speculator, but for the buyer? Absolutely not. Power & non power. Fixed and sliding. With seat back trim & w/o. With seat pan trim & w/o. And all the upholstery is unique to each GM brand. For someone to pay big bux and then fill trim holes, reconfigure the seat tracks & hardware, rework and finesse the pan from power to manual/fixed will be miles and $$ BEHIND not buying the correct Pontiac seats in the first place. And where does one find the correct parts for this Pontiac seat conversion process? I've looked, but I still cannot locate Unobtainium on any map. Everyone has bought something they were told 'is the same' as what they need. Let's say something is cobbled together to represent an original Pontiac seat pair, a tribute or clone, if you will. After just the metal and paint work is complete, expect a bill easily in excess of $1,500.00. And that's on top of what was already spent to buy the seats - and you still need to find all the brackets, hardware, etc, etc...

We've all seen something unique and spectacular sell for a record price. A certain '63 LeMans come to mind. Stating several of these metal back seats have traded for 5 grand? That's news to me. Sounds like more speculator hype.

Too many expensive differences, folks. Recommend to please do your home work before shelling out CASH for those metal backs.

Guest BJM

$5,000 usually buys me 5-6 complete project cars. smile.gif

I don't get it I really don't. Like I said I had a 2x4 air cleaner once, real nice off a low mileage car, chrome still nice and decal still there. I had purchase dit because I was going to convert my 64 Riviera to a 2x4 motor. That ended, car was sold and I advertised the air cleaner (not 100% positive where - Hemmings maybe?) and I had several inquiries but 2 guys came forward fast and furious. One used the business name "Cat's Lair" and the other guy was Randy R....) I think. I had other parts I needed to sell that weren't as rare.

I 1st talked to Cat's Lair and he said "I'll take it" and would send me the money - no problem. I then talked to Randy and he said "I'll take it and all of your parts" Randy (who I later found out had a maybe dubious history with Riviera guys) overnighted me a check to cover all of my parts even though he mostly wanted the air cleaner.

Received the check, mailed the parts. Cat's Lair's check comes in the regular mail and I send it back saying the parts have been sold. Cat's Lair goes off on me saying my name is mud, I will be dead to the Buick guys, my mom is ugly, on and on.

So, these two parts dealers monitored rare part ads and especially noted 'fair' pricing and pounced on the ads. [i remember cat's lair specifically telling me Randy was a parts hoarder and was just waiting for the demand to increase so he could sell his rare parts and make a killing. I said to Cat's Lair - isn't that what you were going to do? - which was followed by comments about my mother and such]

I learned a valuable lesson. Love the cars, not the parts. If you can get a rare one or one with rare performance parts great. If someone else has a rare one, admire it. Don't be envious.

I've had most of the dream Buicks I have wanted and I have more coming. I have owned 2 1964 Buick Electra convertibles one with a factory 2x4 and posi and one with a factory 401.

Let me say, the stress is just as relieved in the 401 equipped convertible with the top down as it was in the 2x4 425 car.

Enjoy the cars and the friendships, not the parts.

Eric everything you are saying is correct. Some of the hardbacks were manual adjust while some were power and those which were power had different switches dictated by the make of the car, etc., etc., etc. Adding hardback buckets to any of the four makes that had them originally is daunting. The cost of the seats is very high, you are probably going to have to modify what you buy to get one or both seats to match your car, some of the components are unobtainable (I would bet big that there are now far more '61 Bonnevilles and Venturas with buckets than were ever made with them), and so forth. But my statement that all of the seats are the same stands because they are the same. The springs are the same also. I'm speaking of the hard back bottom and tops only, not the seat covers or tracks or feet (if that is what you call them) that attach the tracks to the floor. I currently own a pair of Buick hard back buckets and one each from an Olds Starfire and a '60 Bonneville, and they are all the same. That is the point I was making. I was not trying to mislead anyone and agree with you 100% that it takes a real commitment to put hard back buckets in a car. But they absolutely make the car if it is one of the '59-'61 bubbletops or convertibles that could be had with them originally.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest Hot Rod Papa

I am looking for a set of bucket seats and console for a Buick Invicta station wagon any one know where I can find them?

Guest shorttimer

There is a ratty pair of Eldorado buckets on eBay right now. As stated earlier, these are not exact replacements, and this specific pair will need metal work, switch/drive motor/cable and new springs. Not mine, just FYI. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-Cadillac-Eldorado-Bucket-seat-maybe-Oldsmobile-or-Buick-/261453190445?

Good luck with your search and your project. The Invicta Custom wagons are neat cars and very uncommon.