Help with door ajar sensor

Michael_V

Hello, it's been awhile since I've posted. I now have now moved on to another Reatta which I absolutely love. This was my parents Sapphire 89. I need help locating the correct position of the door ajar sensor on the drivers side of the car. This has broken loose and is hanging inside the door. Every time I start the car I have to clear the code that the door is ajar. I believe this switch is attached to the door closing latch, but I don't see where it would of broken loose. I didn't see any clear pictures in the product manual either. By the way this is not the sensor that is attached to the door handle. Any help on how it is attached would be greatly appreciated.

Guest CL_Reatta

If i remember correctly, If you want to clear the door ajar code the easy way, take the door panel off and cut the wire, or short it out, one of the two. what i did on mine

Guest Mc_Reatta

Page 10-5-15 in the 89 FSM shows a pretty clear diagram of where this switch is located. It's item 9 in view A in figure 28.

On page 10-5-16 Figure 29 it shows how it is held in place by a screw.

On page 8A-116-1 Electrical Diagram it says the switch is closed when door ajar which means it opens when door is latched properly.

If your switch is hanging, the screw probably fell out or the mount broke and the switch stays closed which trips the door ajar warning.

You can either take apart and remount the switch, (instructions in section 10-5), or disconnect the connector which will open the circuit and prevent the door ajar warning but also keep you from seeing the DOE WOW show.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the replies. Finding the diagram in the service manual really helped. I looked at the switch, and it appears that the plastic had broken around the screw holding it. I believe a new switch will need to be purchased. Just getting in there to install it will be the hard part.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the repair. I actually found the part on Rock Autos website. Standard Motor Products Part # DS361 It was $11.59 for the left door switch. This was in the Electrical-Switch & Relay section. There were also several other brands to choose from, and they had the right side switch as well. The switch is under tension so I used a rubber band to hold it shut during instillation. I held the small screw on the socket with some grease because it just kept falling off and getting lost in the door. When finished I just cut and removed the rubber band from the switch, and put the door back together. This was not an easy repair, and having small hands would of helped. It works great now, and there are no more door ajar reminders. grin.gif