83 Riv light optics?

Guest northmn

Guest northmn

Can someone give me the arrangement positions and colours of the three front fender light optics?The service manual shows nothing on this and the chassis manual shows a the three dimentional pic., but I still would like clairfication.

Jayson,

Can you open the hood to one of the cars that has the fiber optics? If so, you can visually trace each fiber from the source to the display on the header panel. Let me know if you can't get to yours and I'll see if Noah can lend me the ark so I can get to my storage shed. I've got a header panel in there that's still wired.

Ed

Ed great idea, but my back didn't like that idea

Bob - Nathaniel called and said this is the way his were.

Outer is for low beam lights

Middle is for your turn signals & should illuminate with the parking lights on

Inside is bright lights.

Guest northmn

Sorry to put you guys to so much trouble for such an inconspicuous item.It's not that important right now .Maybe someone can get back to me when they are out for a drive next time.My optics have two yellow and one green -(also-hope every other riv. is the same)?I have the green in the middle so far running the turn signal- (don't know if it's right) .

The fender optics on my 85 (sold in Dec 08) also had green in the middle for turn signals with yellow ones on either side...outer for low beams & inner for high beams. So, I believe Jayson and Nathaniel are right on. Have you checked out the red ones above the rear window? The concept is to be able to see them work through your rearview mirror.

Guest northmn

My fender optics arrangement is just as you described already with the green in the middle -(that's a relief).Yes-my rear optics work quite well.Thanks so much you all for your help.

Does anyone have any suggesions on what to use to clean or how to maybe get some of the yellowing off of these? Two of my cars were garaged kept or under a carport all of their lives and they are still yellowed. Thanks.

Guest northmn

I don't know if the yellow is on the surface or throughout the plastic itself.Mine are still clear since they where covered for 15 years.I would think that even indirect light will fade them.You might want to try a test scrape on the inside of one optic and see if it comes clear .If so try 2500 water sand paper followed by a plastic scratch remover with a dremel buff - (a good exercise in patience).