Off topic: 2006 Lucerne

Vincent Vega

Guest Bobby Valines

The only thing I know about that car is that it sure is pretty. A Lot better than those toyotas in the back ground. Whats the HP on that V8? BUY THE BEST BUY AMERICAN

Guest Bobby Valines

I could go on and on about why we should buy American. Personally the amount of money I did not make last year I could have bought a brand new car and thrown it away. I could not afford the new boat I wanted, to bad for the US boat makers. Buick has always been one of the best cars built in America and I'm sure they still are. I'm proud to drive my Buick. I wonder how much pride people have driving around their foreign cars. WE have people going to war for our country. Buying a American car to help our economy is nothing compared to that. BUICK total confidence every time you drive.

Guest corey wasut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHAS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being a owner of several Cadillac's. my preference would be anything but a Northstar in the Lucerne. It is a great looking car!

Try and purchase the Major Guard Warranty.

Good Luck

Charlie</div></div>

Lots of people here seem to dislike the northstar,what type of problems have you had with them?My uncle had a 94 STS he bought new and had well over 200,000 trouble free miles before selling it.I hope my Alante stays reliable,i have heard of headgasket trouble on early northstars,what else should i be looking out for?

Reacalling back from a couple articles I read on the birth of the Northstar...

Concept of the Northstar in Cadillacs started back in 1989 and to first be used in 1992. During this time, various engineering challenges set the launch date back to 1994. In early 1991 Cadillac decided that 1993 would be the last model year for the Allante (due to poor sales). In early 1992 Cadillac accelerated the build of the Northstar to put into '93 Allantes. The question asked was why would Cadillac make such a large investment placing the Northstar in a car in its last model year?

Cadillac knew they would rely on the Northstar for the next eight years (that was the projected lifespan for Northstar). MB, BMW and Lexus was taking market share away from Cadillac (Infiniti was of little concern). Cadillac had to kick it up a couple notches.

Time constraints was a factor in the engine making its early appearance in the '93 Allante. With limited cars to be made, it allowed Cadillac to use Allante buyers for real world testing (aside from the limited testing Cadillac already did). Engineers knew the car drank oil and if I recall, I read where 22 of the first 930 Northstars produced were 'quietly' replaced due to engine failure. Ironically, 1993 was the best year for the Allante (about 4,700 cars).

I have relatively few miles on my car. Of the times I have driven the car round trip from L.A. to Palm Springs during the summer months, nearly 1/3 quart of oil is gone after 300 (mostly) highway miles. Other times in only city driving, after a tankful of gas, the oil level doesn't budge (go figure).

I have a friend who has several Auroras and we have come to the conclusion that it is a wonderful engine but doing any head work is like two quad-4. GM issued TSBs that changed the head installation instructions for the Quad-4 at least five times in the 1990-1995 period.

Suspect the very long head bolts and the multiple planes they go through is part of the problem.

Did one head job had so much engine sealer in the block that the bolts would torque but not be pressing on the head.

Since then cleaning the threads and making sure they are deep enough is part of the normal regeme, it is not something you want to discover when torquing the head.

We pulled the trigger. It is very nice. We had an Aurora from 1999 - 2005. Repairs got to be too much so we downgraded to a 2004 Regal LS. The Regal was a nice car, but we wanted to get a car with a little more pinache. We drove CTS, STS, and Lucerne. The Lucerne was nicer than Caddies. We weren't planning on going with the V8. The salesman called us and told us they just took this one in on trade in and it would hit the lot soon. We drove it on Wednesday and picked it up on Thursday. The sound of the V8 through chrome tipped dual exhaust sold me. It has 37k on the clock and is super clean.

Our Aurora had the 4.0 "Baby Northstar" It had the common head bolt ptoblem. That was the beginning of the end for it. The hack mechanic who did the work at a well known Caddy Dealer in Madison, WI destroyed the engine. I was dissapointed after I got it home to see aluminum shavings under the hood. I was even more dissapointed when I got the no oil pressure warning. I was livid when I cut open the oil filter and found aluminum shavings in it. They of course dropped the pan cleaned it all up at no charge. I have never been back.

I think the Northstar is a good strong engine. I'm not too concerned with the Lucerne being a first year model.

Guest corey wasut

I hope you will be happy with it,looks like a nice car and it is good to see you bought american! My neighbors Lexus RX 350 just left him stranded on a road trip with a broken transmission at 40k,and the experience i had with a 2007 Toyota Camry which had problem after problem and poor service from Toyota has me firmly buying domestic brands only,as my later model GM products have been very solid.I hope more people will Give GM products a serious look when buying new,as their quality has vastly improved.

Guest THEHKP7M13

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey wasut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you will be happy with it,looks like a nice car and it is good to see you bought american! My neighbors Lexus RX 350 just left him stranded on a road trip with a broken transmission at 40k,and the experience i had with a 2007 Toyota Camry which had problem after problem and poor service from Toyota has me firmly buying domestic brands only,as my later model GM products have been very solid.I hope more people will Give GM products a serious look when buying new,as their quality has vastly improved. </div></div>

Things the media and consumer reports fail to tell us all!

Guest Richard D

I am happy they brought the portholes back. When I was a kid for as long as I can remember my grandfather and father alway brought home new Buicks with those portholes. Useless as most hood scoops or spoilers but for me they aded a touch of style. Still do if used correctly on a BUICK.

Richard

Guest CL_Reatta

Well at least they are semi-real when compared to the ones that stick on from auto zone... and hey, at least they're proper (6 for the 6 and 8 for the 8)

Guest CL_Reatta

They never got better either, there was some lucas stuff in my 95 Discovery... GUESS WHAT??? Whenever I washed the darn thing it would'nt start... had to make a rubber grommet to go over the coil since it was exposed and would short out when wet.... but still, when I went "off roading once" went thru a large puddle of water, once again darn thing stalled out

Vincent, I have had a 2008 Buick Lucerne as my daily driver for just over a year and I really like this car. I piked the V-6,I like the way the suspension and engine work with this car. My buddy had a v-8 and when I drove his car I didn't like the heavy and stiff feeling that the cxs had. The gas mileage is better also.When I got my CXL I was debating whether to go with Cadillac CTS,the Cadillac seemed too small. Just my thoughts.I like the other black Buick in the garage also.

post-46439-143138071415_thumb.jpg

Now if they would just spit flames when you back off.

Only way I could get the garage that neat would be to fill the living room.

ps both my MGA and XK150S had fuel pumps convieniently located so that you could just open the door and whop them with a wrench (whitworth).

Brian, The 2008 Lucerne only has 10,000 miles and the high mileage 1990 Reatta next to it has 25,000 miles on it. In my retirement I detail cars and boats mostly as a hobby. Back in April I buffed out both cars with Menzerna Intensive polish and have been adding coats of Zaino. Frank

post-46439-143138071586_thumb.jpg

Guest THEHKP7M13

Frank,

You really must know what your doing with that stuff. Menzerna Intensive polish is a touch tricky to work with.

HPK, Menzerna polish isn't too bad to work with. I just did a 2009 Black Dodge charger R/T yesterday and the finish came out like a mirror. The key is to take all the steps leading up to the last application of Zaino Z2 sealant. 1- wash with dawn to remove any oils etc. 2- claybar each panel of the car 3-wash the car after claybarring to remove the residue from the claybar lubricant 4- use either a Flex or a Porter Cable orbital buffer with a stand and 2 500 watt halogens to check your work for swirls and halogens. 5- apply the Zaino Z2 sealant wait 20 minutes to wipe it off and then lastly I use Zaino Grand finale Spray to make the finish pop. To maintain my car about once a month I put a coat of Zaino Z2 on it. Frank

If I may add my two cents, I have been using Zaino for years. After going through the Zaino process, what I find works best is applying 4-5 coats of Z-2 within a 3 days period. Haven't tried the Grand Finale spray. Z-6 does the trick. Also, using Z-CS works best for a 'quickie'.

Bought a new 2006 CXS May of 07. My wife loves it-50,000 miles on it now. Everyone sees it it thinks it looks sharp-black with tan interior. My wife likes the idea of when she pulls out to pass someone that she has enough ponies to get around them! Only option it does not have is heated steering wheel! We laugh about growing up in the 70's with the options cars where coming out with copared to today! I still think the Reatta's seats are more comfortable after 155,000 miles-got it out of storage 3 weeks ago and have not driven it since.