Sign in to follow this  
jeff_a

Peerless Research Findings

162. An original Peerless sales brochure is for sale on e-bay (autolit.com) now with what is billed as the last one for the marque: stampings show it from the Grand Central Palace Auto Show, Jan 9-16, 1932.

163. I saw an article in a 1909 Motor Age about 6 cylinder Peerless engines being used in Elco speedboats. "Guaranteed speed of 22 m.p.h.!" These were large wooden cabin cruisers in the 30-40 foot range.

164. I was surprised to find there is a Peerless dealer still in business in the U.S.: Dimmitt Motors in Tampa Bay, FL. They are selling other brands now but once sold Peerless cars.

165. Occasionally I hear that Peerlesses can't be priced because "not enough change hands to establish a price". It seems a lot of them have been for sale in the last couple of years.

166. When a big Chicago radio station decided to give away a new car in a sweepstakes in the mid-20s, they went to buy "the best car on Automobile Row" and selected a Peerless Phaeton. The winner was selected from thousands of people who sent in 50-cent telegrams in favor of repealing the Volstead Act.

167. Despite a lot of aluminum used in its construction, the 1924-29 Peerless Superb Six engine, with transmission, weighed 750 lbs.

168. A 1931 advertisment said of the new Master De Luxe edition: "Powered by a 125 H.P. Straight Eight Engine - one of the fastest stock cars in the world."

Edited by jeff_a
Supplied exact quote from manufacturer in #168. (see edit history)

169. The Continental 322 cu. in. engine used in 1929-32 Peerlesses was used in different tunings developing 114-140 h.p. A specially-prepared version of this engine in a DuPont was entered in the Indy 500 in 1930.

170. At the 2011 Circuit des Ardennes in Belgium, there were 10 Packards, 2 Peerlesses, 20 Bugattis, and 300 pre-war cars total.

171. "One of the big hits of the opening game of the world's series at Washington, October 4, was the Peerless Eight four-passenger touring phaeton which was presented to Roger Peckinpaugh of the Washington baseball club by the fans of Cleveland, his home town."

172. " 'Peck' is the fourth member of the Senators to become a Peerless owner, the other three being Walter Johnson, Leon Goslin and George Mogridge." --above quotes from The Peerless Co-Operator, Oct. 9, 1924, courtesy of Don Bettes.

173. The 1928 Peerless 6-80 could be ordered with 5 wire wheels as a $75 option or 6 wire wheels could also be ordered for $90 extra, with rear-mounted spares only. The 1928 6-91, with longer wheelbases, could be ordered with disc wheels and dual sidemounts for $150 extra or wire wheels and d/s/m for $225 extra.

174. The 1928 Peerless 8-69 was available from $2245 to 2645. This was the last year for the Peerless V-8 (1916-1928). One was for sale at the Stelford auction 20 years ago with disc wheels and dual sidemounts.

175. I was very pleased to get a "Survey of Peerless Cars" letter returned in record time by the JWR Automobile Museum in PA. They have a 1911 Oldsmobile Limited, a 1918 Peerless, & a 1930 Duesenberg, among other significant automobiles.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

176. I recently found a photo of a camouflaged 1915 Peerless truck in an Indian military-vehicle website. I think it was the 5-ton model with a 5-pdr. antiaircraft gun.

177. Apparently, about 1,599 Peerless Model Eight-67s were built in 1924 and 1925, as opposed to 2,786 '24 and '25 Model Six-70s. The 8-67s replaced the earlier seven series of Peerless Model 56 V-8s and were called "Equipoised Eights".

178. The Model 8-67 was a 1925 model with a 125" wheelbase. Someone in Denmark has one of these, a V-8, 7-P Sedan. It was superseded by the 1926-1928 Model 8-69 with a 133" w.b. Both are CCCA Full Classics.

179. Though founded in 1865, Peerless got into the car business in 1898 building parts for car manufacturing companies De Dion Bouton, White, and Winton, according to an article by Richard Lichtfeld in the Peerless Motor Car Club News Letter.

180. I was reading a 5/08 News Letter editorial by Richard Lichtfeld regarding 1921 when Collins & other ex-Cadillac people took over Peerless. According to RHL's research at the Cleveland Library, the Collins 6 was originally designed by the Cadillac engineering dept, then adopted by Peerless, along with much of Cadillacs ex-management.

181. I was looking at the car-ad publication Autabuy today and noticing that Antique & Classic Enterprises of Tyler, TX is one of only 11 collections in the world to have Peerless, Packard and Pierce-Arrow represented!

182. I recently heard from a Peerless owner in Denmark, Alf Nielsen, that he has a dark blue 1930 Standard Eight Sedan in beautiful condition & that the relatively unknown 1925 Peerless in Denmark is a Model Eight-67 7-Passenger Sedan. One's a Straight-8 and one's a V-8.

Edited by jeff_a
I increased the # of collections with all of the 3 Ps. (see edit history)

183. The reason I commented on the role of Cadillac in the design of the Peerless 289 cu. in. six in PRF #180 is that some writers have attributed this engine to the Peerless engineering dept and some to Cadillac.  

184. The new owner of the 1929 Peerless 6-61 Deluxe Sedan that came from the Ray Hart auction in 2008 is Ryan Brown from Ontario, Canada.

185. The new owner of a 1929 Peerless 6-81 Doctor's Coupe is Dennis Mercer of Alberta, Canada. Only confirmed Peerless in the province, although the Reynolds Museum, Ltd. (Wetaskiwin) sold one in the summer of 2009 whose new owner & locale are unknown.

186. To any of our readers from Hawaii....I have heard a legend that philanthropist Doris Duke owned a Peerless kept at "Shangri-La", her estate near Honolulu (built 1937, still exists as a private museum). Has anyone heard of it, seen it, know what model, or know what happened to it?

187. There is a 1932 Peerless straight-eight sedan in Hawaii. Its owner has dropped in at the Peerless booth at Hershey the last couple of years. Not necessarily connected with the car mentioned above. It's known that there was a Brewster-bodied Peerless at the Duke estate in NJ until 1946.

188. Long time Peerless owner Eugene Swantz has sold his 1925 Model Six-72 5-Passenger Touring Phaeton to a new owner in Maine. Not many of these '25 Peerless Phaetons around! Two are known.

189. Has anyone ever heard of Richard M. Stewart of Irvington-on-Hudson, NY(1954) and Middlebrook, CT(1962)? He had a significant 1911 Peerless and I'm trying to find out where it went. [Update: I got to see it in person in 2016]

190. A Peerless was in the 2011 Glidden Revival Tour based around the Cumberland, MD area. I don't know whose auto it is or the year & model.

191. A fairly racy-looking black 1929 Peerless Roadster was in an ad for $25,000 in January, 2010. The listing was on: Peerless 1929 USD 25000 . The car appears to be a 6-81 and in Argentina. The link works, but not sure if car is still for sale.

192. The first riddle I asked was about Peerless & WWI [PRF# 80], the second one was about the spouse of a Peerless Corp. VP and the radiator mascot on one of her Peerlesses [PRF# 120]. Only the first one was answered.

193. Riddle Number Three: Does anyone know which Peerless collector also owns the bell from the HMS Titanic?

194. I heard that someone in John Day, Oregon has a Peerless Doctor's Coupe.

195. C.S. Walker in Arkansas has a blue 1928 Peerless Model Six-80 Sedan he would like to sell. Restored. Used to belong to a retired NYC Policeman.

196. I was reading some old back issues of AACA's magazine and saw an ad from The Harrah Collection stating they were looking for headlights for their yellow 1927 Peerless 6-72 Boat Tail Roadster back in 1968.

Jeff has invited me to join the forum to add my knowledge of Peerless to the thread. Actually, i next to nothing about Peerless cars, but i know quite a bit about Peerless trucks, which is a subject that does not seem to attract much interest. i suppose the very few survivors prevents interest from being generated.

Anyway, in Jeffs note #80 he asked if Peerless trucks contributed much to WW2. Strangely enough they did as a number which had been fitted with 3" AA guns had been kept in the British Army reserve. With the declaration of war these were wheeled out across London and placed in strategic locations to ward of German marauders and improve moral. Here is a picture of one which i expect most people will recognise the location.

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

It seems more than likely that the effect on morale was not as successful as intended. The Liberal MP James de Rothschild summed up his thoughts in Parliament when he said “Everybody knows that the 1914 "Peerless" gun is not only Peerless in name but peerless in ineffectiveness. It is not only ineffective, but is dangerous to the population. I would like to ask whether those guns were sent out in order to give a false sense of security to the population”.

i am sure someone will wish to draw their own politcal conclusions to that.

Dear Great War Truck,

Welcome to the Peerless Forum!

Thank you for the much-needed post about Peerless trucks and the photograph! I'm sure most Americans have never seen a Peerless truck and are already scratching their heads a little in response to this shot. Peerless cars are rare enough, but there are hardly any Peerless trucks that have survived in this country. Not so in the U.K. and South Africa.

The camouflaged Peerless truck I sent you a photo of is something I found on a site relating to India...but in retrospect, may be from some British, French, or Russian archive originally. I had thought it was an Indian Defence Forces vehicle at one time.

One would think that firing a 3-inch AAA gun with an elevation like that would have bad consequences, unless they were firing timed charges.

----Jeff

Sorry Geoff

I am forgetting myself. This is the best of our Peerless trucks. We actually took delivery of the remains of 7 of them this day. This was the best and by far the most complete.

PeerlessUnloaded2.jpg

Since then we have bought two more for parts. Sadly, out of all of these there are only two viable restoration projects. We have had these Peerless now for about 15 years or so but have been too wrapped up in the restoration of our other projects to start on them yet.

If you are interested and have a bit of spare time here is a link to our previous restoration blog which shows the ground up restoration of our 1918 Dennis. As you will see we do just about everything ourselves with the aim of getting the truck back into the condition it was during the war. It has attracted quite a bit of interest with just under 230,000 hits so far. You might have to register to see the photos

WW1 Dennis truck find

Edited by Great War Truck (see edit history)

Tim,

Thanks for the photo of one of your Peerlesses and the connection to your restoration blog. What Peerless truck do you think is in the best condition, the one in Cornwall or one of the armored car conversions?

Thats an interesting question. By my calculations there are just 8 surviving Peerless trucks. 7 in the Uk and 1 in South africa. The most original is probably the Bovington Armoured car one which is totally original but has not been run for many years, which is a great shame. There are two Irish armoured car replicas. One was a 1920's diesel modification that was fitted with a replica body for the film Michael Collins. Film of it can be seen on Youtube shooting the fans of a football match (not Britains finest hour). The other replica was built by the Irish cavalry museum on a longer chassis. The Cornish one was excellently restored and regularly run (it once did the prestigeous London to Brighton run of 60 miles), but has not been taken out for a long time now. The S African one runs and looks very original. Apart from our two the last one is owned by a Michael Banfield and was very well restored in a civilan livery, but has not been taken out for about 40 years or so. Interestingly when it was taken out through the streets of London in the 1960's the owner comented that several old men stopped and saluted the Peerless as it went by. They were probably old soldiers who recognised it for its military vehicle heritage even though it was carrying beer barrells at the time. So anyway, best and favourite for now is Bovington's. But ask me again in 15 years time and i will give you a different answer i expect.

197. I saw an old advertisement for Brunn's Carriage Manufacturing Co. recently. Brunn coacbuilders were the distributor for Peerless in the Buffalo, NY territory. A 1912 design on a 48-Six Peerless chassis was called "The Voltaire Limousine"...even including a "sword case" to be used to repel highwaymen(or hold umbrellas).

198. For 1913, The Henry Brunn Automobile Company and Peerless collaborated on another throwback to the 1700s with a "Limousine a' la Diligence" on a 48 H.P. 6-Cylinder Peerless Chassis. It looked much like a French Mail Coach.

199. Someone in Lisbon, Iowa wrote in the Buy/Sell Forum (2/24/12, "A 1906 Peerless or Something Close" by tbrayton) reporting his interest in finding an unrestored 1906 Peerless and that he has some parts for one, dating back to his Great-Grandfather's ownership of a 1906.

200. I read something surprising in a back-issue of the Peerless News Letterr recently: in a notice for the Peerless spare parts agency set up about 1931 in Detroit it said service & parts would be available "as long as one Peerless remains on the road"!

201. Many other companies have used the Peerless name since Peerless was founded in 1865. There was even a "Peerless Meat Bag Co." that made paper sacks you put over meat hanging up in a meat market. Someone had some for sale on ebay in March.

202. I got to look at a 1925 Peerless Salesman's Manual that listed February 23rd, 1924 as when the Peerless Superb Six was introduced. This 289 cu. in. six augmented the previously "all-V-8"* line much the same way the Single Six added to the "all V-12"* lineup for Packard in 1921.

203. *The "all V-8" for Peerless and "all V-12" for Packard policies were both adopted for the 1916 model year.

Edited by jeff_a
200th addition to thread. (see edit history)

204. I got a letter 4/17/12 with info about a 1926 Peerless I first learned about in a photo taken at a 1993 Tasmanian car show. Thanks to Ben Blunden of Tasmania, I know owner, location & model(6-80 Tourer).

205. The car above has been in Australia since new and probably was purchased at Automobiles Limited in Sydney. 1st owner was an Inspector of Police in Sydney. Apparently, this car was ferried down to Tasmania for a big VCCA-TAS car show in 1993.

206. The dealership in the message above were the purveyors of Armstrong-Siddeley, Bayliss-Thomas, Lancia, Marmon, Peerless, and Pierce-Arrow cars.

207. I received a wonderful letter last week from the owner of the above auto with all the data I requested awhile ago for inclusion in the Peerless list I keep {KPAIE}. In New South Wales, I believe. Great to hear that a car I wasn't sure of becomes well-documented!

208. 322 cars & trucks on KPAIE now!

209. I heard a rumor the 1913 Peerless up for auction at the Auburn event was clocked by the RCMP at 100 m.p.h.

210. Since the 1931 Master Eight Coupe in Canada is now an approved CCCA Classic...would that mean all Peerless Masters/Model "B"s are Classics? Please see "31 Peerless Sport Coupe" thread for photos.

211. Has anyone heard of any Peerless trucks that survive in this country?

212. The Red & Maroon 1927 Peerless 6-90 Peerless boat tail roadster at the J & R Antique Auto Museum near Albuquerque sold. A very rare, very stunning automobile with the big aluminum crankcase engine!

213. Another stunning early Peerless is coming up for sale at the RM Hershey Auction in October: a 1915 48-Six 7-Pass. Touring. Beautifully-restored, 1-family car. Quite worth it to go to the RM site just for the views of the monster engine!

214. Has anyone ever heard of a Peerless which actor Fatty Arbuckle owned?

215. Any new Peerless owners out there? Please feel welcome to introduce yourself & tell us about your car! I understand there's a Peerless that just appeared in Australia: a blue 1930 6-81 Sedan.

216. Someone recently bought a pretty racy boattail roadster that was for sale near Albuquerque. The body is two-tone Red and Maroon...so I can't imagine it not attracting some attention somewhere. UPDATE: car is now in NY.

217. I read on peerlessmotorcar.com that the 1929 Peerless 8-125 is now considered a Full Classic by the Classic Car Club of America. It's even on their list of approved models on their site. The only 1929 Peerless model so far.

Tim,

I bet there's one out there somewhere!

I saw the Peerless toolbox on e-bay, but had not read the text and thought it might have been one of those Model T accessories. The description seems to associate it with the Peerless Trucks instead. I don't know who bought it.

----Jeff

218. It's official: the 1929 PEERLESS Model 8-125 is now considered a Full Classic.

219. There's a nice thread on the "Photo & Video Forum"("What Is It" section) called "ID this car I found in the Badlands SD in Sept 2012" posted about 10/23/12. It's about a car on a trailer no one could identify that turned out to be a Peerless.

220. Looking forward to hearing from the collector in Ohio who acquired several Peerlesses last year. Though the collection may be very private - it would help the Peerless Community to know the years, models, serial numbers, etc. Please send a Personal Message if you'd like.

Thank you.

221. Found a photo of a 1904 24 h.p. Mod. 8 Peerless at the London-To-Brighton Run in 1967. Don't know who the driver was. It looked like the well-known white Touring Car once in Burton Upjohn's collection, now possibly in Oklahoma.

222. I was looking at www.flickr.com and saw some incredible photos of a restored Brass-Era Peerless with 2 men and 2 women aboard. A red Touring Car -- I'd guess a 1907. The photographer took about 10 pics of the car driving up to the summit of Pike's Peak July, 2012.

223. I read that someone in Port Jefferson, NY bought a Peerless recently: a 1929 Model 6-81 Deluxe Sedan with dual side-mounts and six wire wheels. He is interested in restoring it in time to run the Lincoln Highway Centennial tour, New York City to San Francisco.

224. Found a color photo of a camo Peerless Truck: "British 13-pdr 9 ctw 3-inch Mount Peerless 5-ton Lorry France, 1918" on: http://armoredcars-ww-one.blogspot.com compiled by Jose Luis Castillo. On top of the lorry are 12 men and a boy in uniform.

218. It's official: the 1929 PEERLESS Model 8-125 is now considered a Full Classic.

Jeff I was going to put together some notes and pictures for the CCCA to have the model recognized but discovered it had been added recently. When I was in Hershey I joined the club. I believe there are 5 other Peerless cars registered to the club which are all 1930-1931 years. Jeff what do you know about the 1926 boat tail roadster for sale in Oregon.

model8125,

Thanks for writing! That's unusual that you were assembling a campaign to get the Eight-125 accepted and it just happened by itself. Maybe someone was laboring quietly behind the scenes after seeing your wonderful 7-Passenger Sedan at a tour or show. I even put in a plug for your car on the Peerless Parts For Sale Thread, post #15, 2 weeks ago. Something about a set of 8-125 cowl lamp brackets for sale in Finland for $260.

I don't know much more about the 1926 Roadster than what's posted. There was a Lakewood, WA newspaper story I read about a '27 Peerless Boat Tail Roadster showing up at a Model A club meet 40 years ago; a reference to a '26 Boat Tail Roadster being in Ross, CA 20 years ago; and there was a '26 Roadster in Portland, OR at one time(these may or may not have a connection to this car)...but that's about all.

---Jeff

P.S.: Sorry for all the enthusiasm for Eight-125s, but they are about my favorite Peerless model. If it came down to a choice between a 1901 Type "A" Tri-Cycle Motorette, an 8-125, and one of the missing V-16s....it would be a tough one. If I decided on an eight instead of a one or a sixteen, I'd take an 8-125 Victoria in Stutz Royal Red!

I,m in the middle of a full repray on my 6/81 and I,m looking forward to more reliable miles. One thing I was wondering ,how many right hand drive Peerless cars like mine exist?

Do any production records exist with that information?

Pete,

There was someone in the U.K. trying to sell his 1928 6-91 Sedan used in the wedding hire business last year whose car was RHD. It was ordered new for an American diplomat in Argentina, I believe, then shipped to England. That '29 6-81 d/s/m Black and Red Roadster for sale in Argentina may be RHD*. Most of the pre-1914 Peerlesses were RHD, of course. The only others I can think of are three of the four cars in Australia....and the '26, '28, and '29 South African Peerlesses.

As far as I know, the Peerless company archives disappeared after WWII. No one knows where they are.

----Jeff

*Who would want a roadster with wire wheels? Damned drafty thing to drive about, if you ask me!(I'm just kidding about the Roadster. If you're interested in it, please go to PRF #191 and click on the highlighted text to see some great photos.)

P.S.: I checked, and the 1929 Peerless 6-81 Roadster in Argentina has LHD.

Edited by jeff_a
Left out South African cars! (see edit history)

Jeff I was going to put together some notes and pictures for the CCCA to have the model recognized but discovered it had been added recently. When I was in Hershey I joined the club. I believe there are 5 other Peerless cars registered to the club which are all 1930-1931 years. Jeff what do you know about the 1926 boat tail roadster for sale in Oregon.

John and Sherry,

Regarding the Boat Tail Roadster, I had a few things to add to the discussion, since you and Bryan Moran commented about it(there was a thoughtful post by Bryan[bJM] today on the Peerless For Sale Department thread). Who knows, maybe more than just three of us are interested in it. I think that it's a very interesting car, and it's neat that it has has shown up out of nowhere on this discussion board...regardless of any buy/sell or monetary aspects.

I don't know if any of you have read about three or four Essex and Hudson Boat Tails that are around. I think the Hudsons were just a styling exercise for the Auto Show circuit, but a fair number of Essexes were made. In one story, it was stated that Essex was the only low-priced boat tail in the 1925-35 period. Then, if you had money, you could buy a Packard, Pierce-Arrow or Duesenberg Boat Tail for "large money". The Stutz Boat Tails with Robbins bodies would be in that class, too. An Essex Boat Tail, being a lower-priced version of a Hudson, could be had for what was "small money". Since many people aren't too familiar with Peerless, it's not surprising that these Essex pieces didn't mention Peerless(how many people reading this have actually seen a Peerless Boat Tail, like the one the William Harrah Collection had?). I would lump the Peerless Boat Tails in with the Duesenbergs, Packards, Auburns, Franklins, Pierce-Arrows, and Stutzes.

What I wanted to add was that someone restored a car somewhat comparable to the Peerless Boat Tail in Oregon -- a 1929 Essex Speedabout. There are great pro photos of it if you look up "San Diego Collection Essex". This car was one of five built for the show circuit, had a no expense spared restoration, and I believe was sold last month at the Hershey RM Auction for $89,000.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Essex, but NADA GUIDES Classic Cars online shows 1928 Essex speedsters costing {$835}..........low retail/Hi retail:....$10,650/ $23,400

1928 Auburn 88 Speedster {$1,695} $41,000/ $121,300

1926 Auburn 8-88 Roadster {?} $17,600/ $47,600

A 1927 Essex Super 6 (Early) Speedster with a 3-main-bearing 145 cu. in. engine costing $750 is listed in classiccardatabase.com.

No Essex Speedster listed for 1926. NADA doesn't list Duesenberg, Stutz or Peerless. The '29 Essex Speedabout is one of five built, has a 161 cu. in. six w/ 55 h.p. Hope this is of some help. No Boat Tail Auburn seems to have been available in 1926, but NADA does list a Roadster.

The picture of the car from Oregon looks more like a Six-80 than the bigger Peerless models. I'll list factory prices and wheelbases for Traci's benefit. Peerless 6-80 Roadsters were $1,495 in 1926(116" w.b.). The 6-72 Roadsters were $2,195(126" w.b.). The big V-8 Roadsters ran $2,995(128" w.b., I believe).

----Jeff

Edited by jeff_a
Added Peerless prices + wheelbases! (see edit history)

225. On the World War One site mentioned in PRF #224, there's a great color photo of two camouflage Peerless Trucks in the Latvian Army taken in 1935. Huge 13-pounder AAA guns on the back of each one...in a parade.

226. The Peerless Distributor for Los Angeles was Stanley W. Smith in 1924. The neoclassic building he had built that year stood untill 2012.

227. At the 2008 Monterrey Auctions, brass car dealer Dennis Collins sold 3 Peerlesses. The owner of the 1909 Mod. 19 is David Baird -- the 1912 48-Six Touring Car is at the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum In Fairbanks -- and the 1913 48-Six Roadster("The Car That Came In From The Sky") is now owned by Robert M. Pass.

228. The first car to reach Bullion on the "Cariboo Road" in British Columbia was a 1906 Peerless Model 14. Car went by rail from NY to Ashcroft, BC in 1907 to attempt the difficult wagon road. The mud was "over the wheels and through the radiator", but the Peerless made it!

229. The same Peerless was one of the first cars in Dawson City, Yukon Territory in 1907. To get there, it would have had to be shipped by steamboat from the Bering Sea up the Yukon River, or by loading the car on a White Pass & Yukon R.R. flatcar from Skagway to Whitehorse, something I actually did once.

230. Thanks to Nigel Leedham and Nancy DeWitt, both knowledgeable about Peerlesses, for info in the last two P.R.F. entries.

231. I heard from the collections manager at The LeMay, America's Car Museum in Tacoma, WA yesterday that they do not have a Peerless in their vast collection.

232. Re: PRF #229,the Peerless ran out of gas on its trip to the gold mining town of Bullion, but made it the last stretch on a can of cleaning fluid found at a roadhouse on the way.

233. Re: PRF #230, the visit to Dawson City generated comments like: "it traveled almost noiselessly up & down the streets", "it would go anywhere horses & wagons could, except deep fords", and "it and a Pope-Toledo brought modern motoring to Dawson City".

234. I read that Budd Co. was used for some of Peerless' steel body parts in 1914.

235. Some Peerless drivetrain parts appeared FS on the Buy/Sell Forum today(12/27/12). More or less an entire drive train. Ad says 1928, but it may actually be a 1929 Model 6-61.

236. Peerless Owners Only: There is to be a joint Pierce-Arrow/Peerless meet in August, 2013. It will include 120-mile & 110-mile tours, a formal dinner, tours of auto collections, and a car show. Location: The Gilmore Museum, Hickory Corners, MI. Dates are: AUG. 23-25.

237. Peerless In Film: "The St.Valentines Day Massacre" with Jason Robards has a black 1929 8-125 Peerless 7-Passenger Sedan in it, according to John Knight. At the time, this long, straight-8 7-P Sedan was owned by Universal Studios.

238. The same great car reportedly was in a 1970 movie called "Le Voyou". I watched a YouTube clip of the 1st 2 minutes of the film and it does sort of look like a '29 Peerless 8-125. A black car full of gangsters & showgirls pulls up, there's a shoot-out and then some dancing.

Edited by jeff_a
Dates of Peerless/Pierce Show (see edit history)

239. In 1918, the Peerless Dealer in KCMO was The Gridley Motor Car Co.

240. The W.F. Stewart Co. built bodies for both Peerless and Buick. 1 of 35 companies building for Peerless. According to "Dave_B" on the Buick Pre-War Sub-Forum, 2/18/13,they built some open bodies for Buick in the 1908-1934 timeframe. Some 1927 Pontiacs had Stewart bodies, too.

241. I got info from Peerless Owner Bob DeBone in Hawaii recently stating that George E. Staley of Norwich, NY was recorded by the CCCA as owning a Full Classic 1927 Peerless Model 8-69 in 2003. This is a car previously believed to be a Model 6-80.

242. Recently saw a photo of the ballet star Najinsky at the wheel of Peerless V-8 Roadster in 1916. (FS on e-Bay)

243. The radically-new Peerless design of 1902 was so popular that they sold out their entire production capability by July.

244. At the NY Auto Salon(Nov 1923), coachbuilt-bodied Peerlesses were displayed by Springfield and Merrimac.

245. The other U.S. automakers at the NY Auto Salon were Cadillac, Chrysler, Cunningham, Duesenberg, Lincoln, Locomobile, Marmon, Packard, Rolls-Royce, and Winton.