Locating your old car

Guest MFF3RD

Guest MFF3RD

There are two cars my parents had when I was a child that I want to buy back. One is a 1976 and one is a 1966 and CARFAX doesn't go past 1981 even if I had the VIN numbers. Is there any way the Pennsylvania DMV could tell me if the cars are still registered or at least provide me with the VIN numbers based on my parents names and address at the time the cars were registered with them?

If you can find old paperwork (like insurance papers), and locate the vehicle serial numbers, in some states you can get the name and address of a current owner by inquiry through DMV or local tax offices. Without the serial numbers you are certainly out of luck. Or, You can always just find the same make and model and declare it to be the same car and not worry about the minor serial number details.

Guest leadsled1953

most states dmv will not give you any info.40 years is a good headstart for the cars to disappear.i always wonder where our family cars we had growing up are.

In W. Va. lists of vehicles that are registered can be purchased from the DMV by year of manufacture. Our club had considered getting one of the vehicles that qualified as antiques. I can't remember the cost but we voted not to purchase it once we found out how much it would be.

Good Lord, He posted less than 24 hours ago yesterday. Talk about impatience. Give the guy a couple of days at least. He may work split shifts, or he is on the road, or ????????????????????

Guest Stllrng.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leadsled1953</div><div class="ubbcode-body">most states dmv will not give you any info.40 years is a good headstart for the cars to disappear.i always wonder where our family cars we had growing up are.</div></div>

I'll bet they are in China, melting down in a big vat!

I was simply saying that sometimes it takes some time for "newbies" to get used to getting back to the forum. It was especially hard for me to figure out what the blinking envelope at the top was. I am sure it took me a month or two to figure things out here.

Guest MFF3RD

Wow. I can’t believe I got 12 responses already. Thanks everyone. I am in the process of moving my office and I have been a bit preoccupied with the movers and such. Thanks again.

Guest leadsled1953

did they trade them in or did they get sold privately.if you have a name then you try the whitepages.com...or the social serurity death index.if they were traded in then the odds are the dealer has no records back that far.

Guest MFF3RD

They were traded in at a dealer. I did contact the one dealer, and you are right, they said they did not keep records that far back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> So does shoe leather after you soak it in your mouth for awhile.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58Mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno, I always find it dry and tough to swallow </div></div>

Sounds like the voices of experience. Like my mother used to say, "Open mouth, insert size 12!"

Guest AlK

Sometimes Crow and shoe leather can't even be saved by ketchup. I tried myself on a 64 dart 270 2dr that I had in California. I had the dealers name but when I called they told me that they did not have any records over 10 years old. However it doesn't hurt to ask. When I bought my 65 Dart GT Convertible in 1983, I went to the original dealer and he had all of the original sales papers, contract, order form, trade-in etc. He let me copy them and told me to give him the copies for his records and for me to keep the originals, which I still have along with the car.

Guest Bob Call

MMF3rd

I see you are in New Jersey. I don't know anything about NJ DMV I live in Oklahoma. Here, cars are registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission through local "tag agents". Proof of insurance is required to make the annual registration and renew the license tag. The Tax Commission must sell registration records to insurance agents, because, each year a couple of months before my insurance expires I get contacts from a least a half dozen agents offering to save me untold millions on my car insurance on my 1976 Belchfire. So, it may not hurt to make inquiry of the agency with which you register cars.

Back in 2001 when we finished restoring our '37 Plymouth pickup we went into DMV and had a hard time getting it registered. The truck was last registered in 1973, we had a copy of the 1973 registration, and DMV wanted a copy of the bill of sale. They couldn't retreive records on a vehicle where we had been the last registered owner and ownership hadn't even changed.

In New York the answer is no with DMV.

Guest leadsled1953

New York DMV , I can tell you some stories about the fun i have had there. i found out the best thing is ask for a supervisor first and ask nicely how do i get this done. [dont ask me about the truck load of police bikes from Pa LOL] but nydmv will not help you track down any car.