Buick dodged a bullet,Pontiac dies..Will Buick diversify ?

Rich Morton

I'm as upset about the fall of Pontiac,and what this signals to the overall mess of the auto industry and our economy as everone else,and I know the climate in the auto industry at present probably isn't condusive to this right now,but is the demise of the Pontiac brand potentialy a good thing for us as Buick fans, with regard to the brand possibly presenting a more diverse line-up to us? How about Buick bringing back a GS done right,Riviera, or something like the Velite?I know now is not the time.......But.......?????????

Rich, the word is that the Buick lineup will indeed expand. It sounds like we'll see a smaller sedan slotted below the LaCrosse in the near future. Beyond that, we'll have to wait and see. Much will depend upon GM's sales volume and profitability going forward.

• 1 month later...

I think the Solstice should be rebadged as a Skylark!

I would also welcome the Pontiac G8 as a Buick!

It would be nice to see a Buick that was in the $20000 range.....it's hard to get brand loyalty when the younger buyers can't afford a $35,000 Lucerne or Lacrosse.

I could conceivably "afford" a $35k car, but why? The last "new" car I bought was a loaded Mazda B4000 that I use for work. It was originally a $25k truck that I got for less than half of that with 12k miles on it. I know on the restoration of my 55 convertible that I will spend AT LEAST $35 k. I can deal with that, but for the riff-raff of us making less than 100 grand a year, you won't see me in a Thirty Five Thousand dollar car anytime soon.

Those GM (Great Minds, lol) nutcakes always throw away the leaders in performance, such as Oldsmobile (modern short stroke Rocket engine, hydramatic) and Pontiac (GTO, Firebird) for Cadillac, and Buick, and of course Cheepvy. Now they never said anything about tossing GMC trucks, why not? Same as Cheepvy! So you are left with alot of ESCALADEDAA'S and other highly low mileage glitter boxes. Buick IMO will suffer the next death. Cadilet will be the only name from GM soon. Hmmm, GM = sure doesn't mean gas mileage does it???

Guest Jstbcausd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bhclark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the Solstice should be rebadged as a Skylark!

I would also welcome the Pontiac G8 as a Buick!

It would be nice to see a Buick that was in the $20000 range.....it's hard to get brand loyalty when the younger buyers can't afford a $35,000 Lucerne or Lacrosse. </div></div>

I agree with you whole heartedly. I have been saying it for the last couple of years that GM has priced Buick out of contention for new car buyers, esp younger ones. When the LaCrosse Supers first started hitting showroom floors, one of my friends said that for the first time ever he could see himself in a Buick, at least untill he saw the price, sad to say he ended up getting a Toyota. While I am a little afraid that the entry level Buick will be nothing more than a rebadged G5, it would be in their best interests to start trying to lure college graduates or even high schoolers and if that is what it takes, then so be it.

As for bringing over the Solstice as a Skylark, this is where I have to disagree. The Sky is such a better candidate. The solstice is so plain looking while the Sky is a looker to be reckoned with. I do like the idea of calling it a Skylark, back when the Bengal was making the rounds, I sent a suggestion to Buick that they should call it the Skylark as that brings up visions of Buick's muscle car past.

I really hope that Buick does in fact mature and grow with the reinvention of GM, and that it is finally able to shed it's stoic image as an old mans car.

By the way I am a 2nd generation Buick driver and am only 33 years old, but couldn't be more in love with my Buicks. I have turned 4 of my friends into Buick drivers based on my dedication and the durability of my Buicks. Case in point, I have a '93 Regal GS, with 178,000 miles & 16.5 years old, and just in the last month have had the tie rod ends, front wheel bearings, and the exhaust pipe all need to be replaced- all original parts, show me a honda or toyota with that many miles and years that is still mostly original- i don't think you could find one. although i am open to being proven wrong, i just don't think such a car exsists.

Highly interesting! As has been mentioned, more production of this type of drivetrain will bring the unit costs down, so doing a Buick makes sense in that orientation. Plus, with all of the Lexus hybrid models around, Buick needs something of that nature to equitably compete with Lexus and "the new" Lincoln.

You can buy a decent LaCrosse in the base model, but too many might consider that to be "grandma's car" rather than a "young folks' entry level Buick". The base Lucerne started out with the base model having bucket seats/console rather than the optional split bench seat in the front. Even in the base form, it makes a neat car that way! As always, if you pick and choose options carefully, you can keep the costs more reasonable, but you might have to special order something of that nature--breaking up some of the option groups might help, too.

If you think the current LaCrosse is pricey, wait until you see the 2010 one. It'll probably top out near $40K in the CXS model . . . which I feel is a little too high for this economy and younger buyers . . . but there seem to still be some upwardly-mobile younger buyers out there, with money to spend . . . like on mid-$30K 2SS RS Camaros. But I suspect the 2010 LaCrosse will appeal to some buyers that Buick is not currently getting consideration from.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Solstice goes away with Pontiac, the Sky goes away with Saturn, the Wilmington, DE plant goes away, there was talk of moving them into Bowling Green with the Corvette at one time. but don't that will happen, the Opel GT built here sent to Europe is really the best looking!

Check it out! </div></div>

Solstice, Sky, Opel GT......I'm good with any of them wearing the Buick Badge.

Also excited about a hybrid Buick. The clay model looks like a cross between the Lacrosse and the Enclave.

Korea makes some of the best sub $20,000 cars out there. (I've got a 2005 Hyundai Sonata and a 2003 Kia Sedona and never had a problem with either one) Maybe GM could license a small car from them.

I realize that Buick is trying to stay upscale....but if they want enough volume to be competitive and stay in business, they need to expand and produce a entry level car.

Surely they've got something in their Chinese arsenal that could be adapted to meet US regulations (which is why our cars are so expensive in the first place!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Reatta Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of the Electra 225, it could be the Electra 110 for the US and the Electra 240 for Europe.

Sorry, couldn't help it....

But it WOULD make sense for Buick to take the lead in the hybrid arena... </div></div>

That would be awesome!

Remember this: "The Riviera has been engineered to accommodate a new hybrid system that will go into production at Shanghai GM, GM's flagship joint venture with SAIC, in 2008."

Riviera Press Release in 2007

with all that is going on with Buick remember things could be worse. Consider.... A week ago monday I bought a Chrysler 300M. When I got it home last thursday it was with the realizarion that it is no longer a Chrysler but a Fiat (Fix It Again Tony). Maybe it takes an oldtimer like myself to remember Fiats introduction to this country. What a disaster Fiat was back then and now they own Chrysler! Sad, so sad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I got it home last thursday it was with the realizarion that it is no longer a Chrysler but a Fiat (Fix It Again Tony). </div></div>

That's O.K. The 300M was made from 1999 to 2004, so before you bought it it was a Mercedes. Leastwise it was as much as today's Jaguars are Tatas and today's Saturns are Penske cars.

In Europe Fiat's reputation has made a great comeback in the last decade, much like Ford's recently has. I wouldn't be too quick to judge anything in the dealerships today or in the future based on past experience with X 1/9s and Stradas just yet.

Besides, the first products that relate in any way to Fiat aren't expected until the 2011 model year, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">if</span></span> everything goes smoothly.

I think the problem with Pontiac, Olds, and Buick was that before they used to only slightly overlap each other in price. Recently they were all overlapping and only a couple hundred or thousand apart. So instead of competing against other cars in their price range, they ended up competing against each other. Buicks in the 1940's and 50's did not sell to college kids either. But they were not hurting for sales.