She's home trying these( pictures again)

BUKE

Hope this works. I hope this post works a lot better than the last one. Went to Florida and picked her up.home safe and sound. I know my other post did not work good with the pictures but with the help of the guys in the form I got are done. Spencer Massachusetts never looked so good.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

post-33125-143138069145_thumb.jpg

post-33125-143138069152_thumb.jpg

post-33125-14313806916_thumb.jpg

post-33125-143138069167_thumb.jpg

post-33125-143138069174_thumb.jpg

Yes Mike you probably did talk to me but it was a 55 roadmaster convertible. Myself and my two brothers were there. I sold the 55 with great relief. You see I have three nice drivers. The 55 being a frame off restoration I couldn't really enjoy driving her as I do all my other Buicks. See all Colorado.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

Congrats, car(s) look good. Just for my info, On the side view pic, there seems to be an extention bar of some kind between the tongue of the trailer and the wagon's hitch. Also seems that the trailer wheels should be closer to the front to balance things out. Did it tow ok like this??

Hope all goes well with the "new" car...... Jim

Guest GRANNYS70SKYLARK

Good luck with her! Nice color, too! When I moved back to NY from FL I towed mine In the pix) behind a Penske truck with a similar trailer, no problems.

post-61228-143138069734_thumb.jpg

post-61228-143138069735_thumb.jpg

post-61228-143138069736_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

Congrats Frank!!! She looks pretty solid. I know you're proud to have her home and can't wait to get to work (spelled p-l-a-y-) on her.

I guess this answers my question as to whether a Roadie Wagon could pull my 54 Roadies. How much did that car weigh. I assume the wagon has the towing package. How much swaying did you have going on. How badly is the front seat of the wagon pinched?

Again, congrats and have a Buickful time with you new toy. smile.gif

Mr. Earle. Yup roadmaster has the package to tow I bought her about a year ago in New Jersey on eBay. She's a good wagon. I don't how much that Skylark ways but there was no swaying just a whole bunch of stops for gasoline.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

Guest imported_MrEarl

Well alrighty then Frank, maybe I should revive my search for a 94 96 wagon. I'd feel comfortable hauling the small 54's but would have to feel out a Roadie (4400 lbs) before heading out on a long haul. The front seat of my Silverado is STILL a little pinched since hauling the 76 Estate Wagon from Mobile. Looks like you had plenty of tongue weight to help keep her from swaying. I gotta give a high five to you and others that brave such an undertaking. I've been there and can appreciate it.

Look forward to seeing her on the ground. smile.gifcool.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Shipping weight of 3436 lbs or 3487 depending on exactly which model according to <span style="font-style: italic">The Standard Catalog of Buick</span>.

Guest unclefogey

Given the comments to the recent thread concerning the '60 Buick which ended up on its roof in Holland after being thrown from a trailer, I was surprised that there weren't more cautionary comments about this thread.

Man, you have more guts than I would ever have pulling that rig from Fl to MA. Looking at this setup, I wouldn't have gone around the block with this car. Did you catch in one of the pictures the position of the left side trailer wheels in relation to the fog line? One is dead center on the line, while the other was almost completely inward of the line. Probably a bent axle. Hope you at least had surge brakes on the trailer.

Without dropped axles on the trailer, the car looked like it was in the stratosphere.

I bet you kissed the ground and gave thanks when you finally arrived home.

Hi unclefogey. While I know my rig was unconventional it did work. I had the Skylark tied down with two straps and a chain while having a stop for fuel every hundred and 35 miles I would go out and check this thing very good and it didn't move an inch on the way home. Now that's not saying I didn't pray to my guardian angel on the way home because I sure needed her help. The wagon pulled her nice it was a stopping that scared me. My experience in driving a tractor trailer for 42 years across this country sure helped. But at 65 years old I still do some stupid things and will continue I hope in my adventure. I didn't even get the finger when I was in New Jersey or the East Coast attitude in New York that was different. I think that picture that you're referring to the left side was just the way I park the rig but thanks for noticing.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi unclefogey. While I know my rig was unconventional it did work. I had the Skylark tied down with two straps and a chain while having a stop for fuel every hundred and 35 miles I would go out and check this thing very good and it didn't move an inch on the way home. Now that's not saying I didn't pray to my guardian angel on the way home because I sure needed her help. The wagon pulled her nice it was a stopping that scared me. My experience in driving a tractor trailer for 42 years across this country sure helped. But at 65 years old I still do some stupid things and will continue I hope in my adventure. I didn't even get the finger when I was in New Jersey or the East Coast attitude in New York that was different. I think that picture that you're referring to the left side was just the way I park the rig but thanks for noticing.

Have a great Buick day

Frank </div></div>

Now that is a gentlemanly response if I ever heard one.

The wheels look as though you may have just made a sharp turn with them and they hadn't fully recovered from the twisting they go through. The worse experience I ever had pulling these old Buicks was the 76 Estate Wagon from Mobile. I let myself get caught in the middle lane after merging and two semis flew by, one on one side and one on the other and got me to swaying in a curve. I pulled it out of it but I said every prayer I ever learned within the 10 seconds it lasted.

Sometimes a Buickman has got to do what a Buickman has got to do to get these Buicks home. Experience is the best teacher and sounds like you have plenty.

Buickly,

MrEarl

Guest Reatta1

Regarding the wheel alignment, if you look at the second picture you can see that the trailer is not parralell to the fog line so is not an indication that the wheels are out of line. As for towability, even though it sits pretty high, there is good weight distribution on the axles with what looks to me like plenty of tongue weight. That makes for good towing. A set of sway bars would help but with no more weight than that car is as long as you aren't screaming through turns and are anticipating stops, it's safe enough. I tow a 24 ft cuddy cruiser that weighs between 7 and 8 thousand pounds depending on fuel, water and gear load, behind a 3/4 ton Chevy. It sits pretty high and unless I get some stiff crosswinds, it tracks pretty much like an arrow as long as I keep it around 55 per or under. And being a big rig driver, sounds to me like you know what you are doing.