Broken door key ...

Guest bmachine

Guest bmachine

Hello everyone.

I was asked by my father in law to sell his TC. He is the original owner. It is in very good shape overall but there are a few small things to take care of. The first one is that the door key is broken. So there is not way to lock the doors.

I did a search for "broken key" but nothing came up. Can a dealer create a new key based on the serial number? Is there a better way to do this?

Thank you for any help.

Bo

Guest Reelhappy

Am sure you will get answeres to your fix it problem shortly. Sorry I have no idea. In the mean time, it would be nice if you posted the location of the car and details.

Such as engine, trans, color, miles, year, price, etc... Better yet a picture is worth a thousand words.

Guest My TC Toy

Bo

Welcome to the thread.

If you go to a key shop, they should be able to extract the remnant of the key. With that piece and the head they should be able to cut a new one. It is doubtful if a dealer still has the records to cut one from the serial no.

Good luck.

Guest bmachine

Sure thing... although I am not in full "for sale" mode quite yet. It is in Los Angeles, auto trans, butterscotch color, removable hard top and I will have to check on the other questions at home tonight.

Guest d_voitel

I needed keys when I bought my TC last summer. I first started with a Chrysler dealer, and they couldnt help any longer. They have the information but no longer carry blanks. I then called a local locksmith who came to the house. He made keys for the ignition, doors and trunk in about 45 minutes. (Ignition and doors use the same key.) If the key remnant is broken off in the lock, it might take a little longer. A locksmith is definitely the best choice for resolving the situation.

Good Luck.

Guest bmachine

Thank you Duane. So a locksmith can make a key without having a master to duplicate? How does he know which tumblers are in which position without taking the lock apart?

I have seen a locksmith use a soft key blank to make a new key by sticking it in the lock, turning back and forth, removing and filing at the marks on it from the tumblers and repeating until the key opened the door. The door key also works the ignition. The trunk lid key is the same as the glove box key but needs to be longer to clear the trident emblem in the trunk reflector. A standard Chrysler trunk key blank can be used to make the trunk key if the round part of the key head is ground down to clear inside the emblem.

Hey Guys,

A couple of years ago when I first started with these TCs I needed some key blanks. I "Googled" Chrysler tc keys & Chrysler Maserati keys. Came up with the original Chrysler Ignition/door key with the black plastik end and no electronics. I also came up with an Illco correct extended replacement both of these for about $2.00 ea. I didn't like the Illco so I Tried again I found the original trunk key with the Trident embossed on them, for just a few more bucks. Then I had my local locksmith fit them carefully. Worked perfectly. Sold those cars with exact keys and spares. everyone happy. Just don't forget to Google what you are looking for.. Lou

Guest d_voitel

The locksmith determined which blank to use from the VIN. Lou has a great idea as well; to Google for the key blanks. I Googled as well, but didn't find what Lou did because I didn't search correctly. I'm going to search again because I want keys with the Trident on them.

ghostymosty described exactly what the locksmith did when he made my keys. I was amazed at how easy it was for him to make the keys.

Thanks Lou for your inputs as well. I'm going to try again to get proper TC key blanks. While my keys work just fine, they dont have the trident. Just generic keys.

Duane

Guest bmachine

Thanks very much all for this great info. Sounds like a locksmith would be a great buddy to have in case of "emergencies".

One thing you guys said puzzled me: the ignition key works on the door locks? Aaaargh... I didn't even try that. I automatically thought the broken one was for the doors. Duuuhhh!

BTW, it has 90,000 miles and I believe it is the smaller engine.

OK Folks,

I'm trying to find info on my original key purchasses. I don't think I have it anymore, but I'll look. In the meantime: For ignition/door keys, 1989 are a single cut keys (early Chrysler style), 1990 & 1991 are standard Chrysler double cut with a black plastic cover with Pentstar emblem on the head. All trunk keys are extra long all metal keys with a Maserati Trident Embossed on the head. The better Chrysler dealers also gave the original owner a Gold colored ignition key with a Pentagon shaped crystal in the head.

I'm not absolutely positive of this but I think the part # for the '89 Crystal key was 4378779. Lou

Ignition keys on eBay now # 230326666732

Guest LouZ

Sorry Guys,

I could not find any old invoice for the key blanks I bought. They probably were in the files of the 2 cas I sold.

I tried to Google and came up with nothing. Google was filled with those high priced late model replacement Keys. Lou

Guest bmachine

Well, I brought the car to a locksmith and he said there is no broken key inside the key hole. The reason the key wont enter is because the lock is damaged. So he needs to get at the lock from the inside by removing the door panel and all. He estimates about $85 (an hour labor) to fix it.

The broke key I have is from the trunk. But the broken piece is not in there either so he has to get at the lock from the inside and take it apart in order to make a new key. Another $85. That's the situation as of today.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS: I posted a message about finding a TC mechanic in L.A. in case someone here knows...

Guest d_voitel

HMMMM, very interesting. The locksmith I used made a house call. Took a look at the VIN, went to the book to determine which blank to use, and went to work. The entire job including the house call was $140. The locksmith was on his way in less that an hour.

The reason I had no keys is that I found the car in a salvage yard. It was headed for the crusher. I saw it as a diamond in the rough and rescued it. The car is a head turner everywhere I go and I haven't done much except a good cleaning.

I'll have to post some pics.