Fall Hershey '62 on youtube

Oldsfan

Sad, most of those car owners are no longer with us and the vehicles will never again see the Hershey show field. If you could freeze frame sections could someone confirm that is the 1896 Duryea about 3/4 through moving under its own power? Thanks post posting it for those that never got to see The Golden Years of the Antique car hobby.

Guest bossmustang

Really neat! No rain or mud. I was stationed overseas then. It would be 12 more years before I attended my first Hershey.

Thanks

Thanks. Great memories. I never made it to Hershey in those days, but at the local regional meets (and I assume at Hershey) many of the show cars were driven -- few trailers except for the really old ones. A friend of mine did a beautiful restoration on a 1926 Packard and then drove it 14,000 miles the next summer attending car shows.

Don Lynskey

Boy, there are cars you rarely see anymore on that film, a Whippet, I think there was a Star in there too. Just about every Rolls-Royce in the US made the meet that year apparently. I saw a Brunn bodied Packard, a Pope, and the Mormom meteior Duesenberg. It's amazing how more formal people were in their mode of dress, lots of men with coats and ties, women in dresses. Thanks for tipping us off to that.

Did you notice a few folks walking through the scene carrying flea market finds back to their cars? By 1962, there would have been a healthy number of flea market vendors- all lined up along "Stadium Road". No doubt we have members with "home movies" taken at earlier Hershey shows. Perhaps someday they will get those films into a digital format and post them on youtube for the world to enjoy.

I attended Hershey twice in the 60s with my parents and a family friend that restored brass lights and horns to sell. If memory isn't failing me I believe 1962 was my first year.

The flea market by then was more than just along the stadium. I remember the family friend always wanted to walk the whole flea market quick to catch any bargains before he opened up.

I remember seeing somewhere on the site, at one time, many of the aerial photos of past Hershey but didn't find them to see if it showed what the place looked like in 1962.

Paul -- Thank you ever so much. My dear friend Henry Jansen (Dec) was shown driving his '09 purple Petrel. Also the '11 Hupp model D touring shown is now in my collection. Small world today. I attended Hershey in 1965 and haven't missed one since. Thanks again for the memories !!Bob Mahoney

No, that is another one of the very few known model D tourings. Mine is without a windshield, other wise the same car, including the color combination. Hupmobile blue sheet metal with cream running gear and wheels. Thanks for your photo clip. -Bob

Guest Siegfried

Thank You for sharing with us. It was absolutely incredible. The first time I saw Hershey was about 2 weeks after becoming a Milton Hershey School student in 1963, 9th. grade, 2 days before my 14th. birthday. My first attendance at Hershey was 1964 as a 10th grader at MHS smile.gif. I didn't sit down for a week following the subsequent paddling for hooking out. Same thing occurred in 1965. For 1966, my senior year, I was given a day to attend. The comment was 'We know you're going to go, and paddling doesn't seem to deter you!' On car show Saturday of '66 I was rousted from bed at 05:00 hours, and told to dress appropriately because I was going to the 'SHOW', compliments of the MHS senior division administrator and his assistant. Upon arrival at the stadium I was handed $20.00 and told that they would be back at 15:00 hours for me. It was a day that I'll never forget. I missed all the Hershey's from 1967 through the mid-70tys due to other circumstances and there aftermath. However; I've been a regular since 1980. Only hospitalization, or checking out will ever keep me away again.

Thanks again for sharing.

Great footage. Recognize some of the cars but forget the owners' names. Looks like Warren Wieant(sp) in his 1898/1899 Locomobile. Also former AACA president and director Hyde Ballard in 1905 Model N Packard. Mary Ballard (first woman officer of AACA) used to drive this car in the Philadelphia Derbies which preceded AACA founding.

Still have newspaper clippings.

It's interesting to note that hardly any of the show cars in the movie were manufactured after the early 1930's. When you think about it, any car newer than 1937 wouldn't have even been consider an antique, in 1962. Nowadays, the proportion of pre-1937 cars to the total number of show cars, is a fraction of what it would have been in the early sixties.

And (as has been noted earlier), one admires those beautifully restored 1950's and 60's cars, only to realize with a jolt that they were "everyday drivers" when that film was made!

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this one back up to the top, so to speak; with Hershey less than two weeks away, I am getting the bug, big time for sure.

Wanted to belatedly thank Paul for starting this thead; I should have thought to just go ahead and post this on the Forum, but that's what friends are for. Thanks again, Mr. Oldsfan!

Found this just searching on YouTube for anything to do with Hershey; if there are other clips, or even slideshows or pictures of years past (the older, the better!), please share them with all of us. I know I'm not the only one out there who likes to look at other people's vacation pictures!

Mike

Thanks for sharing this with us not matter what the origin was. The observations by members above are right on. Most of the cars in the footage where 30-35 years old. The daily drivers in the background 'early '60's" cars are now hard to find in mint condition, and the clothes.....well actually I think a good many of our members still dress that way. LOL.

Only a few years later in 1972 or 73 Chip Miller was turned away from Hershey because his '53 Corvette was "too new" to get in to the judging. So he and his buddy Bill Miller a (50's era Kaiser collection) started Carlisle Swap Meets in 1974 as Post War '74. A great little story, and had it not been for AACA rules there may have never been a Carlisle.

Don't forget these are the "good old days" of the future.

When this film was shot in 1962, I believe the "1929" rule was in effect. The AACA only accepted cars 1929 & older, that's why you don't see much 1930's stuff. My dad graduated college in 1961 & was driving a 1941 Cadillac Sixty Special as his everyday car at the time.