How to tell if it's leather

Guest Packardsforever

Here are a few ways:

1. Check the seams and see if you can find any threads or fibers which would indicate fake. Real leather tends to be a bit thicker as well.

2. If the leather looks too perfect and no distinct leather smell (musky) it may be fake as well. Real leather will age and show it.

3. If you skin is a bit oily press it against the leather. Leather will absorb it but plastics will not

4. Take your fingernail to a unseen part of the leather..if it leaves an imprint (goes away slowly) it is probably leather.

Hope some of this helps. Good fake stuff is sometimes hard to spot. If this is a much older restoration as I think you indicated it should be a bit easier.

If you can look at it with a magnifying glass fake leather will have minute dots of color to replicate shading and grain. And it may have been pressed to replicate texture.

Some seats have real leather as part of the seat and fake leather on other parts.

No doubt about it - the smell test is best. Leather smells like leather and plastic always smells like plastic.

My 95 Yukon still smells like leather when I open the door. The smell lasts at least 14 years. If there is a way to look at the backside of the piece, the vinyl will have a cloth look to it. The leather will have the rough, sorta buckskin look. Stick your hand under the seat and feel the backside and also give it the scratch and sniff test.

So, if you want to know if her pants are leather now you know how to find out. Just make sure your insurance is paid up 1st.

Guest bkazmer

not all leather "smells like leather" (depends on how tanned and processed) and not all vinyl "smells like plastic" (depends on the plasticizer and additives). These are pretty good starting points on older work, but the comment on seeing the back is the only one really related to the differences inherent in the materials

I don't know why anybody didn't think of this before, but just check the back side in whatever way is most feasible. Leather is never finished on both sides, and vinyl sometimes is but usually you'll find just the exposed fabric backing.

There is one other quick way. Go underneath and trim off a small piece from the edge of a side seam where it's been cut and sewn into a pleat or edge, even a tiny scrap. Then set it on fire. The difference should be obvious and immediate.

I think that Dave is correct.

But, if you can't tell if it is leather or not, why does it matter? If it looks that much like leather, I don't think that I would care if it was or was not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 72caddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If her pants are off, I'm not worried if they are leather or not!

Sorry, con't resist, just came off the photo captions..... </div></div>

If they're off and it looks like leather....run

If you take a very large person and have them sit on the seat. If they sit on the seat and you hear a <span style="font-weight: bold">Mooooooooo</span> that means the seat is covered in real leather. If that same large person sits on the seat and you hear a <span style="font-style: italic">'hey fat @$$ GET UP!! GET UP!!!'</span> then you know it is imitation leather. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Just a little humor grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif