Sign in to follow this  
abh3usn

Working on car in driveway, salesman shows up . . . what to do?

Just last week I was on my driveway working on my brother's '61 Ford. I was listening to talk radio and was a little upset about the actions of some local politicians. As I was doing a slow burn, a young man about 20 years old approaches me. He states as follows: " I attend UIC (University of IL Chicago) and I'm working my way through college. I need money for books." I waited to see what he was selling. He repeated his line. I asked him if he was selling anything. He looked surprised and said "no". I asked him if he wanted me to give him money so he could buy books. He said, with a straight face "yes". I was shocked! I recently finished putting my two boys through top colleges. They handled a heavy academic work load. They also did volunteer work in the town where their schools are located. They also managed to work part time to assist with the financial burden. I went off like a bottle rocket! I went on a rant that basically advised this kid that he was not working working his way through college. He was BEGGING his way through college! I also let him know that there was no entitlement program. He should get off his butt and get a job! (my rant was a little more profane than this account) First he turned red, then he turned a very pale white and walked away at a brisk pace. This kid actually thought what he was doing was acceptable. My wife said I was too rough on him. I don't think so.

First, I politely say I am not interested.

If they persist, I put on my protective ear wear and fire up my compressor and air tools.

That usually stops their pitch VERY QUICKLY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Me dad and Enos Slaughter were first cousins. smile.gif</div></div>

Glenn

Can I assume you saw the story on Enos Slaughter's Chrysler 300 in the September/October 2008 issue?

My shop is in our plumbing shop and when a sales person either calls or is in person trying to sell us something we don't want we turn the conversation around and try to sell them a new toilet. "But I don't want a new toilet, I,m here to sell you whatever." We don't want what you are selling but we are glad you called because we have a good deal on toilets. They hang up or leave.

I've had two interesting visits to my garage. I do have a lift in it. So a guy comes in a points ta the lift and say "what do you use that for"?

Another guy came by and ask if he could bring his car to me as he needed some work done on it. If he only knew my mechanical skills cry.gif

I tell phone sales people that I charge for listining to there pitch and need to know to who and where do I send the bill.I usualy just hear a click.

Not sure how, but I allowed a sales person in to the house years ago because I thought I was interested in some film developing club (that shows how long ago it was). I quickly figured out their scam and told her I wasn't interested. She then switched to trying to sell me this miracle adapter for under my carb to increase my fuel efficiency.

We live about 5 miles from a nuclear power plant. Some how the plant came up in conversation and I mentioned being 5 miles away and that in fact the 5 mile line ran right through the middle of the dinning room table and she was inside the line. She was obviously a little nervous. I got her outside finally, she was going to show me the marvel adapter, which was in her car. By now it was dark and she asked what the glow was to the West, I told her it was the nuclear plant and that it has done that ever since the leak the year before. She then left without anymore questions. I didn't bother telling her that was about the same time they put in the new lights and that they reflected off the haze some nights. :-)

Offer to shake their hands before wiping it off with a rag, I like to do that.

Then I hand them a dirty red rag.

I have asked them if they would like to help. I offered 1 salesman good money to dig the line for the sprinklers I was working on. That Texas clay is hard.

I also offered to talk to them if they would follow me up on the scaffold and help hang the dripedge I was working on.

No takers on either the sprinkler or the drip edge but I have shook a few hands.

In my area here deep in the bible belt we used to get the local southern baptist preachers with their stepford children and their snake oil saleman's (think ernest ainsley's "praise Jeeeeezus") grin on their face. I told them that I do not think they or their congregation would want me in their church to which they will reply several times Oh Yes we accept all manner of sinners. Then I tell them I'm Catholic!!!! I've got to stop doing that as they keep leaving tire tracks and vapor trails getting out of my driveway.

I tried the same thing with the Baptist preachers that used to come to my house. It didn't work. I have decided that in the future should anymore come I will immediately get naked, sit next to them and put my hand on their knee. grin.gif

rbl2.....that's really creepy....., but REALLY FUNNY!!!!!!!

Bill from Monticello, MS....loves GM vehicles....gotta remember that name!!! blush.gifsmile.gif

Wayne

mostly they see my big fat rottweiler and move along.shes a big loveable old dog.but until she knows you wont hurt the people that shovel cookies into her she is scary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the same thing with the Baptist preachers that used to come to my house. It didn't work. I have decided that in the future should anymore come I will immediately get naked, sit next to them and put my hand on their knee. grin.gif </div></div>

Say hallo to my lil fren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had window salesmen show up freguently. I just tell them I'm in the process of bricking them up. That really saves on the electric bill!

Also vinyl siding people are easy to get rid of if you tell them to answer one question. What if I decide to change the color after I've installed it? They just look at you real funny. It's a riot!

I went to school in a Mormon town as a freshmen in college. I will give them this... they take care of themselves. One of the guys i went to college with was 30 and was married and had 5 kids. Not only did he go back to school, but he also played football and the community paid for housing, food, and college expenses.

Was humbling.

Oh. And the whole time i was there I never once was badgered. I did attend a few community functions and was "pitched" but that was only fair. smile.gif

Peter