Working on car in driveway, salesman shows up . . . what to do?

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

O.k. this happened to me the other day. It's a beautiful day, you're working on your car in the garage or driveway and a salesman walks up. You're cornered so to speak. How do you handel the situation? What are some of the funny ways you've gotten rid of them?

I politely tell them I'm not interested and that I am otherwise busy and they need to move on. Failing that I am a little more direct and blunt. Failing that, I am rude and threatening. It has rarely reached that point though.

Funny you should mention Mormon missionaries, i live in Salt Lake and one day a couple of female missionaries came up to me while I was installing a sliding rear window in my truck, I told them I was not interested and they said if there was anything they could do for me just let them know, I promptly said "get up here and install this window for me" , they quickly left. whistle.gif

Here, if you ask a person to leave your property three times, you phone the police and they will be charged with criminal trespass. Maybe your law is similar?

My father's upbringing was very strict Methodist. They probably had greater intensity of Sunday School than primary school, and the latter was only in the morning, two days one week and three the next because the teacher was responsible for two schools. One Saturday while he was building a small storeage shed in the backyard, he was visited by the principle activist of the local Jehovah's Witness group. He sat down on the saw-trestle and talked religion with biblical quotations for best of two hours according to my mother until she gave up.

If the uninvited is not pushing religion, maybe you should try because they may not like to listen.

Guest Orphanauto

ha ha Dave, you are so funny, Here hold this, and give him something really greasy. Dave I got to hang out with you someday, we will joke around haha,. Anyway, I would say, " hey I am so glad your here, can you go down to the Studebaker dealer and pick me up one of these, while I take this old one off?

I had a pair of Mormon missionary boys stop by when I had the engine out of the Toronado, and like you said I was slightly cornered, standing in the engine bay covered with grease. I knew what they were about and politely told them I had my own church and wasn't interested, and they were OK with that.

Then the kicker. The one from Wyoming was a gearhead and wanted to talk cars, so I spent about half an hour with them talking cars. That kid even came back a couple times to BS about cars before his mission here was over.

He also confided to me that he hadn't really wanted to do the mission, but he more or less had to, and having someone to just talk about cars and such had made it easier for him. I often feel sorry for those kids.

Guest 50bomb

I bring out my pitbulls..they look scary but they are softer than a kitten..but shoot those people dont know that..hahaaaa!

My Dalmatian, the one in the AVATAR, barks at anyone that comes around. The closer they are to where she is the more aggressive the bark. I just tell them that she won't shut up until they leave, and my neighbors aren't going to love listening to her bark.

We are lucky, we live up on top of a hill on a private road with five other families. There is a trailer park across the fence from us owned by one of the families on this side of the fence. We don't get lots of folks up here. grin.gif

I dunno, I have had JWs and Mormons come to my door on a number of occasions. I told them I was not interested, that their views are in direct opposition to mine, BTW which are correct, and they were not likely to change my mind. They always are polite and wish me well and leave. I've never had to get rude or threatning with anyone except a repo guy that was looking for my next door neighbor and asked to see my ID. He said that he was an "officer of the court" and I was required to show ID. I told him he had 30 seconds to leave because there was an imminent a$$ kicking about to take place and he and I were the only two people that I could see.

Back in the 70's When I was single and had my first house, I was visited by a VERY persistent vacuum cleaner salesman. He insisted on demonstrating the vacuum. He actually walked by me and entered my living room. As he sat down on my couch and started to assemble the vacuum for a demonstration, I walked outside and turned on the water to the garden hose. With the nozzle off I entered the front door opened up the nozzle and squirted him. He became quite irate. I told him this is how I always cleaned my furniture.

Ivan, yes the trespass laws are quite similar here.

I have it easy on this one.

I politely say, I'm not interested. Usually they leave. If they make the mistake of not leaving, I just say, I told you that I am not interested. Let me see your permit for door to door solicitation. When they fail to produce that, I introduce myself as the District Police Lieutenant, show them my Police ID, and ask to see their Identification.

After I get them identified, I then tell them, Get off of my property or you will be arrested for trespassing and if you continue to solicit in my district you will be arrested!

I like this guys approach.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlo8bLSTVE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlo8bLSTVE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like this guys approach.</div></div>

In actual fact, my sister and her family are Mormans, and all of her children have gone on missions.

They know that I am a heathen and don't hassle me about it.

Guest elmo39

over the past 30 odd years my solution has always been the same "" see that gate out there see if you can get out it faster than you came in , before my boot gets up your a..e." the funny thing about this is since i retiered, for xtra income i have done some gardening and lawn mowing for older people . one day a lady called me and asked if i would do her gardens and lawns, before i could reply she said you do know i am a JW,i said yes but if it doesn't worry you that i'm not it won't worry me if you are , since then we have got on well , no sermons either way , and she is now considered a good family friend.as an aside i have just this week helped to paint her house , as her husband pased away 12 months ago . she said to me do you know Rex that you were on our no call list , but i am glad that we are now friends. leave religion out of it and i am also glad .

To put a twist on this thread a little bit, my phone number is listed in my wife's maiden name. That is the greatest filter you'll ever get because the people who know my wife (poor souls), know how to find me in the book. We don't pay the extra fee for the unlisted number, and as soon as they open their mouths, I immediately know that it's a telemarketer.

Some religious groups don't believe in the American Flag. Usually if you fly the flag, that will keep them away. Fortunately being from a small town, we don't get a lot of door to door salespeople other than religious groups. Generally if a religious group does approach me I tell them that I know where their church is, and if I want to go, I'll be there.

I've had that happen. In Maryland once I was replacing a dented rock guard on my wagon and a vaccuum saleslady came. She wanted to come into the house, and there I was under the car with my hands dirty. I asked her to demonstrate her vaccuum on the garage carpet runner-strip...she left. We also used to get a lot of Mormons in Va Beach in our neighborhood. Unfortunately for them, they usually timed their visits for when I just returned from Church. Thus armed, I always enjoyed bantering with them for a bit and then if they wouldn't leave, I would politely tell them that I'm not interested. You have to have your guard up if you engage with them. If you're not ready, politely send 'em packing! Peter G's Youtube guy was fantastic. He was ready!

I've worked with several Witnesses over the years, and have family who went West and converted to Mormonism, so I can look at things differently. I've found that as long as they aren't trying to convert you, they're generally pleasant and principled people to be around.

And I'll give it to the Mormons. The LDS genealogy base has been invaluable to us in researching the family history on the Clayton and Slaughter side (the ones who went to Utah and Idaho). Me dad and Enos Slaughter were first cousins. smile.gif

And one of the worst whuppin's I ever got was when I "autographed" the 1946 World Series baseball Enos had given my dad, with the entire 1946 Cardinals team autographs. I think I was about 5...

Just last week I was on my driveway working on my brother's '61 Ford. I was listening to talk radio and was a little upset about the actions of some local politicians. As I was doing a slow burn, a young man about 20 years old approaches me. He states as follows: " I attend UIC (University of IL Chicago) and I'm working my way through college. I need money for books." I waited to see what he was selling. He repeated his line. I asked him if he was selling anything. He looked surprised and said "no". I asked him if he wanted me to give him money so he could buy books. He said, with a straight face "yes". I was shocked! I recently finished putting my two boys through top colleges. They handled a heavy academic work load. They also did volunteer work in the town where their schools are located. They also managed to work part time to assist with the financial burden. I went off like a bottle rocket! I went on a rant that basically advised this kid that he was not working working his way through college. He was BEGGING his way through college! I also let him know that there was no entitlement program. He should get off his butt and get a job! (my rant was a little more profane than this account) First he turned red, then he turned a very pale white and walked away at a brisk pace. This kid actually thought what he was doing was acceptable. My wife said I was too rough on him. I don't think so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Me dad and Enos Slaughter were first cousins. smile.gif</div></div>

Glenn

Can I assume you saw the story on Enos Slaughter's Chrysler 300 in the September/October 2008 issue?

My shop is in our plumbing shop and when a sales person either calls or is in person trying to sell us something we don't want we turn the conversation around and try to sell them a new toilet. "But I don't want a new toilet, I,m here to sell you whatever." We don't want what you are selling but we are glad you called because we have a good deal on toilets. They hang up or leave.

I've had two interesting visits to my garage. I do have a lift in it. So a guy comes in a points ta the lift and say "what do you use that for"?

Another guy came by and ask if he could bring his car to me as he needed some work done on it. If he only knew my mechanical skills cry.gif

Guest windjamer

I tell phone sales people that I charge for listining to there pitch and need to know to who and where do I send the bill.I usualy just hear a click.

Not sure how, but I allowed a sales person in to the house years ago because I thought I was interested in some film developing club (that shows how long ago it was). I quickly figured out their scam and told her I wasn't interested. She then switched to trying to sell me this miracle adapter for under my carb to increase my fuel efficiency.

We live about 5 miles from a nuclear power plant. Some how the plant came up in conversation and I mentioned being 5 miles away and that in fact the 5 mile line ran right through the middle of the dinning room table and she was inside the line. She was obviously a little nervous. I got her outside finally, she was going to show me the marvel adapter, which was in her car. By now it was dark and she asked what the glow was to the West, I told her it was the nuclear plant and that it has done that ever since the leak the year before. She then left without anymore questions. I didn't bother telling her that was about the same time they put in the new lights and that they reflected off the haze some nights. :-)

Offer to shake their hands before wiping it off with a rag, I like to do that.

Then I hand them a dirty red rag.

I have asked them if they would like to help. I offered 1 salesman good money to dig the line for the sprinklers I was working on. That Texas clay is hard.

I also offered to talk to them if they would follow me up on the scaffold and help hang the dripedge I was working on.

No takers on either the sprinkler or the drip edge but I have shook a few hands.

In my area here deep in the bible belt we used to get the local southern baptist preachers with their stepford children and their snake oil saleman's (think ernest ainsley's "praise Jeeeeezus") grin on their face. I told them that I do not think they or their congregation would want me in their church to which they will reply several times Oh Yes we accept all manner of sinners. Then I tell them I'm Catholic!!!! I've got to stop doing that as they keep leaving tire tracks and vapor trails getting out of my driveway.

I tried the same thing with the Baptist preachers that used to come to my house. It didn't work. I have decided that in the future should anymore come I will immediately get naked, sit next to them and put my hand on their knee. grin.gif

Guest leadsled1953

mostly they see my big fat rottweiler and move along.shes a big loveable old dog.but until she knows you wont hurt the people that shovel cookies into her she is scary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried the same thing with the Baptist preachers that used to come to my house. It didn't work. I have decided that in the future should anymore come I will immediately get naked, sit next to them and put my hand on their knee. grin.gif </div></div>

Say hallo to my lil fren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!