transmition problems

Guest vyacht

Guest vyacht

I have a 1935 dodge br. DU.the car was stored all winter long wating to have the rear end rebuilt. When it was ready for a test drive first gear would only move the car in reverse and all the other gears did the same ???. the trans. was pulled and checked and the linkage checked it still will only move in reverse no matter what gear it is in. HELP.

Guest vyacht

David

thanks, I will inform the so called mechanic with your answer and take it from there. I will keep you informed. appreciate your time

thanks Ken

The rear end gears are installed upside down. I made that very same mistake in my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan. I had three reverse gears and a forward gear. OOOOPS!! You will have to have the axles pulled part way out, turn the differential gears right-side up, shove the axles back in and it should be correct.

Any ole time. When I was 17 years old way back in 1969, I replaced the rear gears in my 1936 Dodge. I took it off of the jack stands when I was done, got in, started it up, put it into reverse and boom! The car lurched forward and into the back wall of the garage (luckily not enough to damage either the car or the garage). My dad said "Put in in REVERSE!!". I did...again and again...boom!! I put it in 1st gear and slowly backed out of the garage. I learned well that day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seventeen and owned a 36 Dodge. Very impressive! Your my kind of guy.</div></div>

I was sort of a loner and very short in high school (translates as being bullied). I had cars instead of a lot of friends. I have had my 1st 1931 Dodge since I was 15. Had that and the '36 Dodge along with a 1930 DeSoto straight eight and a 1929 Franklin 135 sedan "farm find" in the early days of my driving. Then I got a '37 Ford, '49 Dodge and too many after those to name here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenneth Wiatr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keiser31

Your info was correct. Thank you, I owe you one.

Kenny

</div></div>

I always take 1931 Dodge parts as payment! Hahaha.